Converting to monthly income

Hi,

A bit fed up with seeing 800,000 baht sitting in a bank account earning zilch for my retirement extensions. I can't be bothered with all the BS about "seasoning" periods, so the money just stays in the account.By combining a part pension and income from investments, I can meet the 65,000 baht per month threshold no problem.

I understand the Thai Immigration authorities accept statutory declarations of income witnessed by the relevant embassy or consulate. A few questions on this for those Australians who have done it already:

1/ Do you put down the actual income level( in baht ) or just the 65,000 baht minimum?

2/ Do the embassy/consulate staff want proof? If so, what? Is last year's tax return sufficient?

3/ Do the Thai authorities want backup proof apart from the stat dec itself?

4/ Has anyone had a stat dec knocked back?

I'm thinking of a belt and braces approach - first submit the stat dec with my extension application. If that gets knocked back, I have the 800,000 baht to fall back on.

Responses welcome.

1. Your gross income in your in your home country currency. Immigration will convert it to baht when you apply for the extension.

2. It depends upon what your embassy wants.

3. It depends upon the immigration office where you apply. Most don't ask for back up proof.

4. Never heard of one not being accepted if it showed the required income.

I would endorse the points Udonjoe has made above. 

With regard to your point 3, just be aware that a few (3 or 4) immigration offices around BKK are now insisting that the signature on the letter from your embassy confirming your income be verified by the MFA, so you may wish to check with your local IO if this is required before presenting the letter.

38 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

I would endorse the points Udonjoe has made above. 

With regard to your point 3, just be aware that a few (3 or 4) immigration offices around BKK are now insisting that the signature on the letter from your embassy confirming your income be verified by the MFA, so you may wish to check with your local IO if this is required before presenting the letter.

What is the MFA?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Your gross income in your in your home country currency. Immigration will convert it to baht when you apply for the extension.

3. It depends upon the immigration office where you apply. Most don't ask for back up proof.

And does itmatter whether that gross income is transferred to Thailand or not?

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Ubon Joe. Is that gross income in Australian currency the yearly or monthly amount? Or do I specify both on the stat dec?

Just now, bazza73 said:

Thanks Ubon Joe. Is that gross income in Australian currency the yearly or monthly amount? Or do I specify both on the stat dec?

Monthly is best so that immigration do not have to convert it to a monthly income.

13 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

You may or may not have to provide proof of income.

However there is no Police Order or Immigration Rule or Regulation specifying the amount you have to spend.

No, that order comes from the wife/gf !

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Monthly is best so that immigration do not have to convert it to a monthly income.

Is it the monthly they are interested in because 65,000 x 12 is only 780,000?

Bazza73… The link below is to the UK embassy page which will give you some idea of what the British embassy requires in order to provide a letter confirming income.  Obviously your embassy requirements may well differ.  I’ve looked at the Autralian embassy website, but they don’t appear to provide any guidance on obtaining a letter confirming income, so you may do well to contact your embassy and ask what info and documents they require.

FYI… The letter confirming income from the British embassy states the requestor’s; passport details; address; income amount monthly and annually; income sources (not amounts).   The letter is signed by an approved consular official.

Hope this helps

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/573863/Pension_7_12_16.pdf

3 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Bazza73… The link below is to the UK embassy page which will give you some idea of what the British embassy requires in order to provide a letter confirming income.  Obviously your embassy requirements may well differ.  I’ve looked at the Autralian embassy website, but they don’t appear to provide any guidance on obtaining a letter confirming income, so you may do well to contact your embassy and ask what info and documents they require.

FYI… The letter confirming income from the British embassy states the requestor’s; passport details; address; income amount monthly and annually; income sources (not amounts).   The letter is signed by an approved consular official.

Hope this helps

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/573863/Pension_7_12_16.pdf

Nice to see that the Consulate has not reflected the fall in value of the GBP by  wanting Bht 2400 for 50 quid instead of Bht 2186 at todays rate. It actually says on the form £ = 46 Bht. I wish. But it does say that the letter is £52, advises to check gov.uk which quotes £50, payable in £s. A Visa to UK has to be paid in USD, 119 of them, so you get a 3% foreign transaction surcharge on your C Card, but to take papers to Chiang Mai instead of Bkk costs £55 more. 

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Nice to see that the Consulate has not reflected the fall in value of the GBP by  wanting Bht 2400 for 50 quid instead of Bht 2186 at todays rate. It actually says on the form £ = 46 Bht. I wish. But it does say that the letter is £52, advises to check gov.uk which quotes £50, payable in £s. A Visa to UK has to be paid in USD, 119 of them, so you get a 3% foreign transaction surcharge on your C Card, but to take papers to Chiang Mai instead of Bkk costs £55 more. 

I never get a 3% charge on my credit card - and I have used it oads of ties for UK visa fees.

I confirm that the embassy letter fee is taken as £52.

14 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Hope this helps

My understanding is the Australian Consulate will only witness the Stat Dec itself, and won't provide any letters confirming income.

I appreciate the help posters on this thread have provided. However, my impression is there does not seem to be any input from an Australian who has done the income route with Immigration. Apologies if I am mistaken.

6 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

My understanding is the Australian Consulate will only witness the Stat Dec itself, and won't provide any letters confirming income.

I appreciate the help posters on this thread have provided. However, my impression is there does not seem to be any input from an Australian who has done the income route with Immigration. Apologies if I am mistaken.

I use the Combination method.

You can get your letter by swearing an Affidavit at the Embassy Bangkok (moving on July 31st), at the Official Consulate in Phuket or at one of the Embassy Outreach visits.

No evidence is required but may be required at your local Immigration office.(take it with you and swear a true Affidavit  that you can prove !)

20 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

I use the Combination method.

You can get your letter by swearing an Affidavit at the Embassy Bangkok (moving on July 31st), at the Official Consulate in Phuket or at one of the Embassy Outreach visits.

No evidence is required but may be required at your local Immigration office.(take it with you and swear a true Affidavit  that you can prove !)

Thanks, I can prove it with last year's tax return. Financial year, that is.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:14 AM, Jip99 said:

I never get a 3% charge on my credit card - and I have used it oads of ties for UK visa fees.

I confirm that the embassy letter fee is taken as £52.

You must have a better Credit Card than mine, cos I got charged for buying something in USD.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

You must have a better Credit Card than mine, cos I got charged for buying something in USD.

Nationwide  - don't charge an overseas transaction charge and he exchange rate is always fair.

Just now, Jip99 said:

Nationwide  - don't charge an overseas transaction charge and he exchange rate is always fair.

Sorry mate, but I used a Nationwide card, it was them who charged me. Several years ago they didn't, but now they do. You have to build up a 'foreign usage' amount to get it charge free.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry mate, but I used a Nationwide card, it was them who charged me. Several years ago they didn't, but now they do. You have to build up a 'foreign usage' amount to get it charge free.

Not that I am aware of.... never paid a fee in 12 years.  They used to be even better when cash withdrawals were free as well.

Mine is a Gold Visa linked to a Flex Account.

Just now, Jip99 said:

Not that I am aware of.... never paid a fee in 12 years.  They used to be even better when cash withdrawals were free as well.

Mine is a Gold Visa linked to a Flex Account.

Aw shit, mine's only a normal visa..........linked to a Flex Account. Cheers.

It's only a couple of quid anyway, but it's the principle. Why should we pay the BRITISH Embassy in AMERICAN dollars?

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It's only a couple of quid anyway, but it's the principle. Why should we pay the BRITISH Embassy in AMERICAN dollars?

In fairness I think that is the fault of VfS Global who manage the process.

I agree, it is absolutely ridiculous that there is not a Sterling option for payment of the UK Visa fee.

At least you can pay Sterling for the income letter(the postal order in Baht option went some time ago) ........ and UK passport applications as well, where the Sterling charge is taken in Liverpool.

Edited by Jip99

44 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If your card is linked to your Flexaccount, then it is a debit card, not a credit card and Nationwide do indeed charge for foreign transactions.

I have both, debit and credit card, but only ever use the credit card for which there is no usage charge, at least not on purchases. The only time my debit card comes out is to access on-line banking.

13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If your card is linked to your Flexaccount, then it is a debit card, not a credit card and Nationwide do indeed charge for foreign transactions.

I have both, debit and credit card, but only ever use the credit card for which there is no usage charge, at least not on purchases. The only time my debit card comes out is to access on-line banking.

Indeed; my Gold Visa as acquired on the back of my Flexaccount, but it is not directly 'linked' in any way...... bad choice of words on my part.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Are you sure the British Embassy asked you to pay in US$ ????  If so, what was the service they provided? 

Edited by 007 RED
Typo