Here’s where Thailand ranked in a study on the world’s laziest countries

snoop1130

Here’s where Thailand ranked in a study on the world’s laziest countries

adgfasdgf.jpg

US scientists have conducted a into the world fittest and least fittest countries.

Using data collected from smartphones, researchers from Stanford University analysed how many steps more than 700,000 people from around the world took each day in a bid to try and find out which factors determine obesity levels.

The average number of steps taken by people worldwide was found to be 4,96 per day.

Hong Kong found to be the ‘fittest’ finishing at the top of the list with people taking an average of 6,880 steps per day.

Indonesia was found to be the laziest, taking the least amount of steps with an average of just 3,513.

Thailand was ranked in 31st place out of 46, with an average of 4,764 steps, just one place behind the United States in 30th which averaged 4,774 steps.

Thailand ranked considerably better than some of its ASEAN neighbours, with the Philippines ranked 43rd with an average of 4,008 steps and in 44th place was Malaysia with 3,963 steps.

Australia, Canada, New Zealand and India also fell below the average.

IMAGE1.png

The study was published in the Nature journal and used data collected from the Argus app, which lets users track their daily activity, heart rate, food intake and sleep.

Interestingly, the results of the study found that ‘activity inequality’ was the highest importance rather than the average number of steps when it comes to determining obesity levels.

Countries with just a small gap between most and least active had low levels of obesity, while countries such as the USA and Mexico have similar averages, Mexico has a higher level of activity inequality, and as a result has higher obesity levels.

Gender was also a key factor. Countries higher levels of activity inequality found that women are less active than men, while countries with low levels of obesity found that men and women had similar amounts of activity.

“The study is 1,000 times larger than any previous study on human movement”, professor Scott Delp told the BBC.

“There have been wonderful health surveys done, but our new study provides data from more countries, many more subjects, and tracks people's activity on an ongoing basis.

“This opens the door to new ways of doing science at a much larger scale than we have been able to do before.”

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-7-12

Is it hard to imagine how many steps army officers take?

From the officer's car park to the officers mess? How many steps is that?

They talk about heart rate. What does a twerking lustful dancer do to a military heart rate? Answer me that.

Analyzed information from Smartphones?? I don't see how the number of steps taken can equate to laziness.  Too many outside factors. If I only have to walk a short distance to a strenuous job, it does not mean I am lazy.   In fact the subheading is; US scientists have conducted a (study) into the world fittest and least fittest countries.   It appears the person writing the story for Thai Visa chose to substitute the word Laziest for Fittest.  Not necessarily  one and the same.

Once I saw the bit about steps I figured out what it was about, and stopped reading. I looked at the map and saw that Russians, and Spanish do a lot of walking. Its Sunny in Spain so always a nice day for a walk. I have no idea why Russians walk so much, maybe its because they are always too drunk to drive?

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Such "studies" are nonsense...At most they enable financing a bunch of useless statistians at taxpayers expenses...:post-4641-1156693976:

Likely a trustafarian with a "research grant" from an Ivy League school their parents ensured they would get. 

Analyzed information from Smartphones?? I don't see how the number of steps taken can equate to laziness.  Too many outside factors. If I only have to walk a short distance to a strenuous job, it does not mean I am lazy.   In fact the subheading is; US scientists have conducted a (study) into the world fittest and least fittest countries.   It appears the person writing the story for Thai Visa chose to substitute the word Laziest for Fittest.  Not necessarily  one and the same.

Too damn hot to walk much around here! In England I walked much more...

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't think steps are a good indicator.

Better to measure it by hours worked/hours employed.

We do this with our data entry girls, we were getting 3-4.5 hours out of an 8 hour day. Lazy by my books but not entirely bad compared to our workers in Australia.

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Such "studies" are nonsense...At most they enable financing a bunch of useless statistians at taxpayers expenses...:post-4641-1156693976:

You are absolutely correct.

Today we hear about such "studies" very often.

14 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

To many variables. Example someone in a physical job or in factory in a western country will pretty much put put their phone in their locker as opposed to an Asian who will carry it around with them-always accounting for a similar no of steps in a shorter time frame.

U.S. Scientists should mind their own business.

Just because most minimum wage jobs in America were taken over by the former middle class and college graduates, forcing employees to work two or three extra jobs to keep up with inflation, doesn't mean the Thais are lazy.

14 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Is it hard to imagine how many steps army officers take?

From the officer's car park to the officers mess? How many steps is that?

They talk about heart rate. What does a twerking lustful dancer do to a military heart rate? Answer me that.

Your point is?

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

ah yes, another international study that will be labeled 'FLAWED'  by some insecure thai official

And they would be right in saying it.. So other then your veiled racist comment, whats your point???

So a doctor, lawyer, teacher or factory worker, truck driver, who doesnt walk much is lazy compared to a guy that gets out of bed at 11am and walks a couple of kilometers to the unemployment office, then the pub.

Not sure how a country with close to full employment can be listed as lazy.

4 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Take the motocy to the 7eleven, 150 meters away- case closed!

Last week my wife did better than that.

Village shop 80 meters away, she took motorbike out of the shed, rode to the shop and back.

Took her longer to get the bike out, than it would have taken her to walk.

3 hours ago, DerekMarshall said:

To many variables. Example someone in a physical job or in factory in a western country will pretty much put put their phone in their locker as opposed to an Asian who will carry it around with them-always accounting for a similar no of steps in a shorter time frame.

Nearly every Thai I know has to keep their phone in their locker while at work.

14 hours ago, YetAnother said:

ah yes, another international study that will be labeled 'FLAWED'  by some insecure thai official

Don't see why ..the study puts Thailand level with the US and above New Zealand, UEA, Greece, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Or were you too lazy to click the link?