Pattaya "The World Class Resort where no one can spell!"

webfact

Pattaya "The World Class Resort where no one can spell!"

2am.jpg

Picture: TNews

PATTAYA: -- Social media was having a go at Pattaya yesterday but not for the usual reasons.

This time it was not snatches of gold necklaces or the antics of the resort's taxi mafia or police.

It was the fact that no one in charge of road signs seems able to spell English words correctly.

Tnews screamed in its headline that the supposedly world class resort did not have anyone responsible for signage who could spell in English.

They sent reporters to make a video of a road sign leading to South Pattaya.

The right turn to City Hall is spelt CTIY.

Apparently an admin member of Pattaya News who is a foreigner had pointed out the error and now people online are saying the mistake should be quickly rectified to save Pattaya's spelling embarrassment.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-13

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's rich considering that most sex-pats in Pattaya can't even pronounce the name of the town they are living in,  It's pattaYA  not paTTAYa.  Presumably, the road sign should read South Pattaya, as most foreigners in Pattaya wouldn't have a clue that Tai means South. Alternatively just learn to read Thai, and you won't have to bother with the mis-translations. 

On the Thailand Meteorological Department's website, when looking for the weather in the Eastern region, they spell it:

"Pattaya".

When you click on that it takes you the Chon Buri page where they spell it:

"Phatthaya" (yes, with 2 "h's").

A few years ago a friend asked me to do the English translation for the menu he was doing for his restaurant. He explained each item and I printed it out neatly in block letters so it would be easy for the print shop to read.

I couldn't believe the huge number of mistakes the printers made ! I sat down with my buddy and we went over everything and compared it to what I had done and most of the mistakes the shop had made were blatantly obvious, but buddy hadn't bothered to check on the job before they printed the menus.

But it doesn't just happen in Thailand !! Most people have seen those photos of City/Highway work crews that have painted "SHCOOL" or "SOTP" on the road in the USA. 

shcool.jpg

Sotp.jpg

The problem is that Thais will not accept help from a foreigner.  If you point-out that something is not quite right, they will just ignore you.  Not even the local administration can get it right; Soi Bearing in Samut Prakarn had different signs at each end, one end spelt, "Baring".  As far as I know, it is still the same 12 years later.

At my local resort, there are clocks on the wall behind the reception.  One day, I pointed out that the London clock was out by 1 hour, due to British Summer Time starting.  The receptionist said she would get it changed.  The clock was still showing the wrong time the following week, and every week after that.  Now, 1 year later, it is still the wrong time.

You just can't help these people!

Edited by Moti24

There is a very popular picture in many bars showing Pattaya in 1972 (or so) next to a current picture with it's hotels on the beach etc. The title... "Tappaya then and now!"  555  I catch many spelling mistakes but so many that they're trivial. Context can be just as comical also but then again, who cares!  ie, bar beer.  555, Time for another Chnag  (Chang)!  lol

5 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

The problem is that Thais will not accept help from a foreigner.  If you point-out that something is not quite right, they will just ignore you.  Not even the local administration can get it right; Soi Bearing in Samut Prakarn had different signs at each end, one end spelt, "Baring".  As far as I know, it is still the same 12 years later.

At my local resort, there are clocks on the wall behind the reception.  One day, I pointed out that the London clock was out by 1 hour, due to British Summer Time starting.  The receptionist said she would get it changed.  The clock was still showing the wrong time the following week, and every week after that.  Now, 1 year later, it is still the wrong time.

Wouldn't it be right 6 months out of the year?

4 minutes ago, pattayadon said:

Wouldn't it be right 6 months out of the year?

Yes, it would be!  Thanks for pointing-out the obvious.  It was BST last year when I pointed it out, and now, "1 year later", BST again.

No problem for me, as I live in Jomtien, Jomthien or Chomtien.... or is it Chomthien. Whatever. I like the signs where perhaps use spell checker, so massage place might list "200 bath". Now that IS a soapy for sure.  At times I wonder if they misspell on purpose, so as to get your attention.

When you go from one alphabet to another there always will be variations in how it comes out of the grinder. Think I'll go have an appun and watch old Arsenun match.

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Suvanaphumi for Suwanapum airport... and on the BKK expressway they spell Pattaya --> Phataya with an H... 

Have they just realised that Thais cannot spell?

The best transcription should be Phatthaya, because Thai writing indicates that both the p and the t sounds are aspirated. The Thai language differentiates between unaspirated and aspirated p, t, k.

European languages don't do that. English, German and Nordic languages always aspirate while Dutch, French, Spanish and Italian never do that.

I admit it is difficult to transcribe when your mother tongue is English, because the English spelling is even inadequate for the English language. When I want to know for sure how to pronounce a Thai word, I always have to check the Thai writing.

33 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

it's Thais, not Thai's :smile:

It is also misspelling and not mispelling. The first time I typed that with one S it auto corrected and has now underlined in red to show my misspelling. :smile:

Here is a link to the BBC with some road sign and marking mistakes from the UK. The poster who asked about Welsh language will get a giggle at one of these.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40520746

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

The problem is that Thais will not accept help from a foreigner.

How do you know they would not also have accepted the same help from a Thai?

If you point-out that something is not quite right, they will just ignore you.

Not necessarily. Avoid such blanket statements. Thais often don't call attention to mistakes anyway out of politeness.

Not even the local administration can get it right; Soi Bearing in Samut Prakarn had different signs at each end, one end spelt, "Baring".  As far as I know, it is still the same 12 years later.

But other posters have given examples in native English-speaking countries of incorrect spellings as well. I often catch typos in TV news headlines.

Are there no other clocks wrong in Thailand? :blink: After you've been here a while you realize that Thais don't take time & clocks very seriously--and that would doubly hold true w/ regard to time in a foreign country eh.

Yes you can. Enjoy that little bash?