Thai Driving License from scratch

Thought I share this for those looking to get a driving license in Thailand.

Although I've been driving cars since 25 years ago, always held off on getting a driving license here in Thailand. Just gotten plain lazy because taking a taxi is so easy.

I'm living just north of Bangkok, Rangsit/Pathum area, and getting a taxi without the hassle about fighting for meters to be switched on and the many refusals you typically get in Bangkok, has only kept me delaying it.

Couple years ago I bought a car for the wife, since she's picking up our son from school and she's always been pushing me to get my license (but to no avail..lol).

Morning I take my regular taxi driver to my company in Navanakorn, evening I drive with a colleague back, can do some work while someone else is driving for me.

That changed recently because we're expecting our new addition to the family soon, so I decided to go the full program to get a license. (haven't driven a car for almost 14 years).

Together with my stepdaughter, started driving lessons. That already is an eye-opener. Just a normal car, no extra mirrors for the instructor, no signs on the car, no extra pedal set like in Holland.

Paid THB 2,700 for 10 hours driving, blocks of 2 hours.

So after the first 5 minutes, he asked me to reverse park in between a bunch of pylons set out. No problem, put it in and he's muttering to my stepdaughter sitting in the back: That's better than I do..lol.. Went through 8 of 10 hours driving and Tuesday morning was dropped off at some military base in Nonthaburi for the first part of the theory test.

Registered, paid 1,000 Baht while all Thai's there paid 500 Baht and from 9am to 1.30pm had to sit through the videos.. All in Thai language, but ok, plenty of time to do some emails and other work. Nobody paying even remote attention to anyone. Just sit there with other prospect drivers...

After finishing that, got my documents, but no receipt. Asked the officer, who was stuttering some excuse that the receipt was in Thai...hahaha.. sure, my accounting department is also Thai..so can I have a receipt please? He was clearly embarrassed with it, obviously, the extra 500 Baht had already been booked in their party account.. Didn't press it, told him to keep it and left with the required documents.

Our instructor picked us up, drove us to clinic in Pathumtani where we went to the counter, lady sitting there asked our ID's, made 2 forms and asked us to sign.

Pay 60 Baht.. medical certificate done. Couldn't even finish my smoke outside...Fastest medical check I ever had.

Next day, 7.30am off to the Driving Center in Pathumtani..

Drop the papers, get a number, wait at the 2nd floor with some 60 other people.

First the 'physical tests'. Some older man walks in, talks like a general about what to do and some are already shaking like a leave in a storm.

Sit in the chair with everyone looking. First test: name colors on a traffic light. Red, Yellow, Red, Green, etc.

Second, test your reaction.  throttle & brake pedal...press the throttle until an LED Bar starts coming up with green lights. Slam the brake before the lights climb to red LED's and done.

Depth perception test. 2 white sticks that you have to move into the same plane. buttons to move back and forth one of the sticks. Also done.

Write your name in a book and sign..

At this stage, already several people dropped out. One lady screaming and cursing, others just silently walking off.

Last test then: peripheral vision test. Just name the color that lights up at the side of your eyes with your head into some kind of half circle looking forward.

Quite some people I must say had difficulties understanding even these simple tests, let alone completing them..?!

After passing these tests, down to the first floor and wait for your name to be called. 

Write your name in a book and sign..You then get a key-card assigned to your name and with the card you go into a room with computer units. 

Stick your card in, then choose the language.. (Before I even had a chance to search for that, a friendly lady ran over, pushed a couple of buttons, English came up. "Press these buttons Sir, 1,2,3,4..". Thanks very much, will do.

Up come the theory questions, 50 total, minimum 45 correctly answered and you'll pass.

I went through the questions a couple of times before hand and there where hardly any questions that I did not see in the online tests.

Tests can be found here: http://thaidriving.info 

and here is another one: https://chiangmaibuddy.com/thai-driving-license-exam-test-questions/

I think both are mentioned at various other posts on the subject here on ThaiVisa.

Took me about 15-20 minutes to go through, finished and pressed submit.. Surprise.. I passed.. Yahooo...49 out of 50, with one I would dispute as the wrong answer I choose, was correct in other questions on the same issue.. matter of best answer I guess, even though 2 answers are ok.

After that, depending what time you finish the test, you can go down and do the driving test with your stack of documents.

We had to wait till 1pm, after lunch. So everyone that was left after the theory onslaught, less than 50% I guess, gathered at the 'driving circuit' (Circus might be a better word here..).

Again write your name in yet another log-book, sign and if you use one of their cars, pay 30 Baht to 'rent' the car.

That is followed by a 'track-walk', all in Thai, to explain what's necessary to pass the test.

For us it was: 

1. Drive off from the start.

2. Make a 90' turn to head into a lane with a reverse parking test set up.

3. Finish the reverse parking and continue driving. 

4. Make a 90' turn again to drive to the end of the area, again turn and go into a lane with sensor poles on both sides. Drive straight through. Stop, reverse straight through again. Stop and drive through to the last part.

5. Take a turn at the end of that sensor-lane to the right and park within 25cm of the white line of the curb.

Handbrake on, car-gear into Parking (Automatic). Step out, take a round of applause and you then get your documents to proceed up to the license issuing desk.

(This part was absolutely hilarious. 20 people in front of me, none of them even came close to reasonable reverse parking. Some brought their own car (or Mum's/Dad's) and that parking space they set out was pretty big, like 5 meters long. Guy with a Toyota Aygo took a good 5 minutes and just barely got it parked in the white painted box...Even the sensor lane, just driving straight forward and reverse was a major problem for many... amazing..)

To get your license, you need to pay 305 Baht at the counter. They'll take a picture, wait 15 minutes an there's your license.

Mine is valid for 2 years at first. Then renew and get 5 years validity.

Total amount paid: THB 4,065.00

It's an experience, but it's fairly straight forward and compared to 25 years ago in Holland, it's a real bargain. Because of the 10 hours driving, you also get a good taste of the driving style and how to anticipate on that..

Cheers,
Luc

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have saved a lot of hassle by getting an international driving permit from your native country (if you have a valid licence for that country) then you only have to do the traffic light, reaction and peripheral vision tests, sit through the Thai video and I paid Baht 500 for motorcycle and car licence valid for 2 years in and out in 2 hours here in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, chezy86 said:

Could have saved a lot of hassle by getting an international driving permit from your native country (if you have a valid licence for that country) then you only have to do the traffic light, reaction and peripheral vision tests, sit through the Thai video and I paid Baht 500 for motorcycle and car licence valid for 2 years in and out in 2 hours here in Bangkok.

that is interesting before I left Australia I went to get an international license, was told if you have  Australian license it Treated the same as an international in other countries, cause I asked are you sure? yes. so I only have to do the short test.

that is interesting before I left Australia I went to get an international license, was told if you have  Australian license it Treated the same as an international in other countries, cause I asked are you sure? yes. so I only have to do the short test.

I'm from UK so might be different. I researched before I came. Another interesting fact I found out was if your driving on an international permit it becomes void insurance wise after 90 days you are required to get a Thai Licence. Again may be different with other insurance companies but mine actually showed me the small print. Worth checking if anybody's on an international permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

32 minutes ago, johnarth said:

Yes, you can drive for 90 days, but as far as I have read in other threads, you need the IDP to get your license.

I'm from UK so might be different. I researched before I came. Another interesting fact I found out was if your driving on an international permit it becomes void insurance wise after 90 days you are required to get a Thai Licence. Again may be different with other insurance companies but mine actually showed me the small print. Worth checking if anybody's on an international permit.

An IDP is really just a translation of your national driver's licence. If you hold a UK licence it's straightforward to get a Thai licence as no driving test is needed. Just the reaction, depth perception and colour tests.

An IDP is really just a translation of your national driver's licence. If you hold a UK licence it's straightforward to get a Thai licence as no driving test is needed. Just the reaction, depth perception and colour tests.

Well I'm going to have to beg to differ on that one. If using a standard UK driving licence they will require a certified translation of that licence to issue a Thai licence. I guess it could also depend on who and where you apply but that was the info we got from DMT in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, johnarth said:

my queensland licence just listed the different classes, not car and motorbike so i had to do the whole thing again twice. once for car and once for motorbike. what a hassle.

As with many things in Thailand, rarely any consistency nationally.

I dare say there would be a difference in most of the provincial centers.

Who you see on the day, nationality of existing licence, and the actual Thai rules will all play a part to a varying degree it would seem.

Good and helpful report by the OP on his experience.

my queensland licence just listed the different classes, not car and motorbike so i had to do the whole thing again twice. once for car and once for motorbike. what a hassle.

That is a hassle I did loads of research before we moved and it was easy to get an international permit in the U.K. Just applied online to the AA quoting my U.K. driver number and when it came it listed all the licence categories I held. So glad I did now listening to what you had to do.

1 hour ago, chezy86 said:

Firstly nice post OP, thanks.

Chezy,  90 days from when?

From when you enter the country?

90 days in 1 year?

Could you clarify the 90 days please?

Edited by RC8

3 hours ago, chezy86 said:

Was that ฿500 total or 500 each?

I was also going to relate that I was told if a person has a valid home country license they do not have to take a drive test etc. can anyone tell me how long the residence certificate from immigration is good for? 

The 1000 THB up front without receipt sounds fishy - I did my bike & car license 2 years ago and didn't have to pay a satang at this stage. Total cost incurred per license was less then 1000 THB including med cert, residence cert and payment to the Transportation department after the exams.

On a side note - the driving test is definitely joke. A more realistic test would involve cars/bikes/people randomly coming out of adjacent sois as well as dodging opposite traffic coming at you at full speed on the wrong side of the road. In fact some kind of video game would be more useful.

The traffic situation in Thailand will not improve no matter how much they extend the 'educational' video sessions or how many questions they put into the theory tests.

Firstly nice post OP, thanks.
Chezy,  90 days from when?
From when you enter the country?
90 days in 1 year?
Could you clarify the 90 days please?

90 days from entering country I think it is just meant to be for short term visitors,tourists anything after 90 days a Thai licence is needed to keep your insurance valid.

Was that ฿500 total or 500 each?
 I was also going to relate that I was told if a person has a valid home country license they do not have to take a drive test etc. can anyone tell me how long the residence certificate from immigration is good for? 

Baht 250 each and valid for 2 years. Classed as a temporary licence. After the 2 years you can apply for a further 10 year licence with no further test requirements. It used to be a lifetime licence but they changed it a few years ago so some of the people who've been here a while may have a lifetime licence.

Well I'm going to have to beg to differ on that one. If using a standard UK driving licence they will require a certified translation of that licence to issue a Thai licence. I guess it could also depend on who and where you apply but that was the info we got from DMT in Bangkok.

Maybe it's changed, but my UK licence was sufficient for me to get a Thai licence, although this was 8 years ago, in Bang Chak, Bangkok. There was no need to get it translated either.

4 hours ago, GLewis said:

Nice post detailing the process. But in reality it is a joke, just not enough time on the road at all to really understand what driving is. 

if so easy i wonder why so many people opt for buying a permit .

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

wow! your IDP actually has a translation, into Thai??

I Don't think there is Thai translations on an IDP there certainly isn't on the one I got from the AA many years ago.

The U.K. plastic licence has pictures of the allowed vehicles on the back and was excepted by Pattaya DLT as proof that I could avoid having to to do the computer theory and practical driving test portions...they still required reaction and eyesight tests.

Thanks OP I got off easy.

I had a two year and a few weeks back went to renew for my 5.

Bang Chak

Old Thai DL with letter from immigration , a bill to show my home address,  home country licence & they didn't even want to see it. I did the stick test, brake test and peripheral test which I damn near failed so I said keow for green and she laughed.  

605 baht and done - there was some confusion as they said I would only get two years and not 5 - asked for a supervisor and she smiled and said for me 5 years.

i have never had to sit and watch a video not any test for the 2 or this 5 year licence, others seem to have to sit and watch the video- no clue why I was exempt.

2 hours ago, chezy86 said:

90 days from entering country I think it is just meant to be for short term visitors,tourists anything after 90 days a Thai licence is needed to keep your insurance valid.

Thanks chezy.

As I only stay for 3 weeks at a time I assume my IDP is good for short term car rental. But if I buy a car and get my own insurance I will need a thai driving licence. 

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Funny I used a queensland license here in Chiang Mai, first for my bike no tests required just the colour one and it was done, then when I was renewing it I got my car one as well(got caught and had to watch an hour video for that one) this was a few weeks back.

8 hours ago, chezy86 said:

no in Rayong I didn't have to have a translation as it was already in English so got my car & bike licences same day after  doing the reaction test etc. my understanding from Rayong is that you need an international licence for the English translation so people from the English speaking world don't require a translation. this was 4 years ago and same in Klaeng where I got my 5 year licence (another office in Rayong). the only thing I will say about Rayong is that it is a busy but well organised office.