Purchasing a firearm, advice needed

With all the reports about violence in Thailand my wife and I discussed buying a firearm to protect ourselves and our family.

Now I am looking for some practical advice on how to approach this.

Of course we want to do everything legally by following the law and going through the proper channels.

Hopefully some people on this forum own a gun in Thailand themselves or have partners or family members who do. In case you do not feel comfortable posting about it here please send me a PM.

The following questions popped up right away so please join in if you can tell me more about it:

- how hard is it to get a gun permit in Thailand?

- which guns are available and recommended?

- tips for a gun safe in the house, and what does the law say about storage of the gun

- is it allowed to have a gun in the car?

- can foreigners get a permit also?

Any input would be appreciated, except people who do not own a gun and want to talk me out of it. If thats your plan please open your own topic which I can then avoid. This is our decision and I simply do not care if you agree with it or not.

p.s. I wasn't sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it in case this is the wrong part of the forum

Just make sure if you shoot someone that your wife said she did it.. you cannot (or almost impossible) get an permit yourself. Its easier for a Thai to get. 

moderator Arkady knows a lot

Edited by robblok

As far as I know, non residents can't get a gun permit at all. Residents supposedly can, but very rarely - if at all - their request will be approved. There are basically 2 reasons one can request a permit for - 1. self protection - this will only work if you own a gold shop or do anything that might involve large amounts of cash, or if you live in an area considered dangerous. If you would say you feel threatened by someone, you will most probably be denied. 2. sport, shooting range practice - this is the most common reason for  permit issuance.

In any case - the gun is to be kept in the registered place - be it your place of residence OR work. The permit is for holding a gun, not carrying a gun. There are very specific rules regarding storage and transfer from place to place (like how to take it to the shop for repairs or to the shooting range) so basically you can't have it in your car on a regular basis, and when it is in the car it must be locked out of reach and the ammunition locked in a separate place ie 1 in the glove compartment and the other in the boot. Under no circumstances you are allowed to conceal it on your person nor carry it loaded.

A permit to carry a gun with you (but again - not on your body) is extremely difficult to get, and basically impossible currenty. Even cops are only allowed to carry their weapons in their jurisdiction area, and can get into trouble going with it to other provinces.

Even if you do have a permit to carry a weapon - you are not allowed to take it into public places such as shopping malls, schools, restaurants etc'.  

There are also legal limitations for ammunition. One may only keep 6 bullets legally. When you go to the shooting range you can buy as many as you wish to shoot, but not supposed to take any leftovers back home... If all other legal requirements are met, police will usually be lenient if they find you with 1 box of bullets, but they might still go by the rules... 

All in all - I think a gun is not the answer for your fear of violence in Thailand.

As far as I know, non residents can't get a gun permit at all. Residents supposedly can, but very rarely - if at all - their request will be approved. There are basically 2 reasons one can request a permit for - 1. self protection - this will only work if you own a gold shop or do anything that might involve large amounts of cash, or if you live in an area considered dangerous. If you would say you feel threatened by someone, you will most probably be denied. 2. sport, shooting range practice - this is the most common reason for  permit issuance. In any case - the gun is to be kept in the registered place - be it your place of residence OR work. The permit is for holding a gun, not carrying a gun. There are very specific rules regarding storage and transfer from place to place (like how to take it to the shop for repairs or to the shooting range) so basically you can't have it in your car on a regular basis, and when it is in the car it must be locked out of reach and the ammunition locked in a separate place ie 1 in the glove compartment and the other in the boot. Under no circumstances you are allowed to conceal it on your person nor carry it loaded.

A permit to carry a gun with you (but again - not on your body) is extremely difficult to get, and basically impossible currenty. Even cops are only allowed to carry their weapons in their jurisdiction area, and can get into trouble going with it to other provinces.

Even if you do have a permit to carry a weapon - you are not allowed to take it into public places such as shopping malls, schools, restaurants etc'.  

There are also legal limitations for ammunition. One may only keep 6 bullets legally. When you go to the shooting range you can buy as many as you wish to shoot, but not supposed to take any leftovers back home... If all other legal requirements are met, police will usually be lenient if they find you with 1 box of bullets, but they might still go by the rules... 

All in all - I think a gun is not the answer for your fear of violence in Thailand.

This is an anecdote so I'm sure other people may have different experiences. Had a friend who had no issues getting a permit and 2 hand guns in hua hin. He had to prove to the police he had something to protect. I.e. Wealthy with property etc. then he was only able to purchase the handguns he applied for the permit for. He was actually a resident of hk with a house in hua hin.

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As far as I know, non residents can't get a gun permit at all. Residents supposedly can, but very rarely - if at all - their request will be approved. There are basically 2 reasons one can request a permit for - 1. self protection - this will only work if you own a gold shop or do anything that might involve large amounts of cash, or if you live in an area considered dangerous. If you would say you feel threatened by someone, you will most probably be denied. 2. sport, shooting range practice - this is the most common reason for  permit issuance.
In any case - the gun is to be kept in the registered place - be it your place of residence OR work. The permit is for holding a gun, not carrying a gun. There are very specific rules regarding storage and transfer from place to place (like how to take it to the shop for repairs or to the shooting range) so basically you can't have it in your car on a regular basis, and when it is in the car it must be locked out of reach and the ammunition locked in a separate place ie 1 in the glove compartment and the other in the boot. Under no circumstances you are allowed to conceal it on your person nor carry it loaded.

Great post, lots of useful info.
Seems the rules are pretty similar to my home country (in europe).

Thanks a lot!!!

Go to gun shop in your area and talk to them they will know best if you will get a permit or not. Some areas are more difficult to obtain the permit than others. It solely depends on the local manager if he will approve it or not. There are more than 6 million legal  firearms in the country so somebody must be getting permits.

I have owned several pistols in the past as a sport. I do not own one in Thailand and have no intention of owning one.

I would question the validity of the argument that having a gun at home increases your safety.

If the gun is to be of any use it has to be at all times.

1. Readily at hand, not locked away in a cupboard.

2. Loaded.

And you (and your wife/family)

1. Have to be prepared to kill.

2. Have trained and practiced with it.

3. Have total trust in the mental stability of anybody who could access the gun, including any visitors, even after a few drinks and during an argument.

A loaded gun in the hands of an untrained person who has watched too many Thai soaps is a very scary scenario.

Buy a stout stick, such as a pick-axe handle.

Get a dog, or two.....

Think hard before getting a gun.

Oh, and a Glock is what I'd recommend. But they are expensive in Thailand, running at 60,000 Baht upwards.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Just make sure if you shoot someone that your wife said she did it.. you cannot (or almost impossible) get an permit yourself. Its easier for a Thai to get. 

Just make sure your wife does not get mad at you.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Hit it right on the head.  If you shoot someone make sure your Thai partner aka the true gun owner is there to accept responsibility and don't forget to give your hands a good scrub and rub the recently fired weapon all over your partners shooting hand before calling to report the shooting.  And by all means make sure your intruder is not a witness if you catch my meaning.

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Hit it right on the head.  If you shoot someone make sure your Thai partner aka the true gun owner is there to accept responsibility and don't forget to give your hands a good scrub and rub the recently fired weapon all over your partners shooting hand before calling to report the shooting.  And by all means make sure your intruder is not a witness if you catch my meaning.

My preference is a crossbow. The misses doesn't have the strength to load it.

Your wife (you are not allowed) will have to get a 1 day firearm training at Don Muang Air Force base this is done once a month and has to be booked in advance. She then has to take the competency certificate to the local government (amphur) of her residence and apply for a permit to own a firearm. They will then check her background and consider the reasons before issuing the permit. Mrs Nok only got as far as the firearm training the rest we will do next year. Hope this helps, please note post of 12drinkmore this is no joke.

Unfortunately a lot of wrong information in here from people who obviously have heard things through the grapevine or are against the use/possession of guns.

my (Thai) wife and I have 2 guns in the house with each of us having a weapons permit. My wife, being Thai, for hers very easily a good few years ago and simply needed to show that we had something worth over 1 million baht to protect. We own our own house so she showed her documents for the house which gave the asset of 1 million baht plus which she had to protect. There's paperwork and other things to go through but it's not difficult to get it for a Thai. For my permit, it was through being a member of a shooting club. Again, as a foreigner, there were background/fingerprint checks done, interviews with the police chief and other things required but it didn't take too long to get. Like anything here and anywhere else, it helps to know the right people and is a simple matter of 'it's not what you know but who you know'. This doesn't mean that, you can get around the process, just as with my wife and I, although she and her family are very well connected, we still had to satisfy the requirements. We have a semi auto glock and a semi auto browning and keep them both at home. Getting a concealed carry permit is very difficult though as licenses for this are not issued to very many people at all. I am from a security background and carry a firearm for work - outside of Thailand, but even then, I haven't been fortunate enough to be able to secure a concealed carry permit here.

if you are sure that you want to get your license OP, then don't listen to the people here who talk as if they are an authority on this issue and simply use your own common sense when thinking and deciding what you actually want the permit and subsequent weapon for. For example, are you willing to train to use the gun so that using it becomes second nature and are you willing to take a life by using it if someone breaks in to your house and you and your wife's life's are at risk and face the possible consequences afterwards? If not, then my advice is don't buy a gun. It's easy right now to say or think "sure, if someone came in to my house and threatened me  and/or my family I could shoot/kill them" but, in reality, it's a completely different matter when faced with that dilemma face on. Would you have the mental strength to kill? This is the whole point of having a gun for protection at the end of the day and no good pointing a gun at someone  that your not willing to kill as the slightest hesitation could get you and your wife killed by your own gun. Just something to think about!!

whatever you decide and whichever way you decide on it, I wish you and your family the best of luck and safety :)

you are safer without one. only safe way to keep one will be to have it locked in a safe where it will not do you any good. ontop of that you need to keep training to be able to use it effectively, especially a handgun. get a paint ball gun and try to get the paint balls full of pepper spray. thailand is generally quite safe as long as you keep to yourself.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

Buying a gun to protect yourself, what a ludicrous thought, this is surely a 'wind-up' post?  Can I suggest you move elsewhere within Thailand, or perhaps leave Thailand.  A much more practical solution than buying a firearm that you will never be legally able to use anyway.

I sent you a PM.  :thumbsup: 

As Falcon stated, a number of well intentioned individuals providing second hand information that can be misleading if not simply incorrect.  

Also, any legitimate issues posted on TV regarding gun ownership in Thailand simple brings the anti-gun crusades out of the woodwork.  Sad.  
You have a legitimate question and should not be bombarded with off-topic posts, but it's a contentious issue with some members.  Best to take the conversations offline.  Actually, as recommendation to anyone truly seeking info such as this: submit your question, request private messages for answers, then close the thread.  In my humble opinion, it ruffles less feathers. 

Edited by connda

2 hours ago, connda said:

Also, any legitimate issues posted on TV regarding gun ownership in Thailand simple brings the anti-gun crusades out of the woodwork.  Sad.  
You have a legitimate question and should not be bombarded with off-topic posts, but it's a contentious issue with some members.

Yeah, it seems some posters think their opinion is so important and so correct that they give it even though I specifically mentioned I am not interested in those kinds of posts.

18 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

I have owned several pistols in the past as a sport. I do not own one in Thailand and have no intention of owning one.

I would question the validity of the argument that having a gun at home increases your safety.

If the gun is to be of any use it has to be at all times.

1. Readily at hand, not locked away in a cupboard.

2. Loaded.

And you (and your wife/family)

1. Have to be prepared to kill.

2. Have trained and practiced with it.

3. Have total trust in the mental stability of anybody who could access the gun, including any visitors, even after a few drinks and during an argument.

A loaded gun in the hands of an untrained person who has watched too many Thai soaps is a very scary scenario.

Buy a stout stick, such as a pick-axe handle.

Get a dog, or two.....

Think hard before getting a gun.

Oh, and a Glock is what I'd recommend. But they are expensive in Thailand, running at 60,000 Baht upwards.

This same topic was on TV around 5 yrs ago I think. I remember 1 guys comment. He said something along the lines of...if you own a gun are you prepared to point it at someone and shoot. Not many people can do this. Its true. 

2 hours ago, connda said:

I sent you a PM.  :thumbsup: 

As Falcon stated, a number of well intentioned individuals providing second hand information that can be misleading if not simply incorrect.  

You have a legitimate question and should not be bombarded with off-topic posts, but it's a contentious issue with some members.  Best to take the conversations offline.  Actually, as recommendation to anyone truly seeking info such as this: submit your question, request private messages for answers, then close the thread.  In my humble opinion, it ruffles less feathers. 

I disagree totally. This is a public forum. Connda you need to get with the program. This topic doesn't need to kept in secret... come on!

18 hours ago, lensta said:

My preference is a crossbow. The misses doesn't have the strength to load it.

Depending on the wife, could be good advise.  After my divorce my ex picked up her stuff and took her scuba gear to a shop to get "checked out just in case".  I told her "Don't worry, you're already dead to me."

Rule 1 for people with guns at home: Make sure all your victims are dead. You own total story rights. Thge Krabi crew would be shitting themselves with regrets at the moment. Your final shot - after all are dead - must be the clearly visible in a ceiling or wall. It was the warning shot you fired; proof that those crazies kept coming after you (waving whatever deadly weapons you planted on them) with murderous intent. You had to shoot to protect your family.. Good luck. Hope you can live with yourself afterwards.  Do you think your wife will still trust you as the years roll by?

• 3 weeks later...

Do not own a gun, but have been in the same situation as you (few year ago when I moved here). Like many, I would advise against it.

The father-in-law carries his gun around, but he is entitled to from his army days from memory. First time I ever met him I had to move the gun case from the passenger seat to sit down (I didn't know what was in it). The Mrs wanted to get a gun at one point so had her cousin (policeman) find a few police guns to buy. She has been trained with guns (due to her work), and is entitled to own a gun for her work. I have shot a gun at a range once as a 'tourist'. 

We know the District Office boss (I work for his brother), and our uncle is the Police boss of the city so permits were no issue (for me). However, unless you are highly trained (which I am definitely not), then it is just an accident waiting to happen so I said NO! 

Although BB guns, baseball bats, weak tasers etc are illegal, they would be a bit of a safer form of protection and I am sure are quite common among members houses and car glove boxes. *If wanting to go down the weaponry path. 

I know of one foreigner (not far away), who had to pay quite a bit to go through the system to get a gun for his wife... So if you are not connected (seems you are not due to your line of questioning), may not be worth it - talking purely financial means.  Every city would be different though.

Train yourself and buy a dog. My dog supposedly is meant to have the stopping power of a .45 caliber. Much safer for the family, and is always on the ready - not locked away in a safe.   

Edited by wildewillie89