RIP TTA

I just became aware that ThailandTeaching.asia has closed.  I happened no later than last weekend; I don't when Stamp pulled the plug.

TTA was a labor of love.  It was a bullshit-free forum and served its purpose well.

I wish TV a long and happy life.

Screenshot from 2017-07-13 22:27:49.png

I heard from Stamp. Paraphrasing what he said and what's already in the message on TTA, running the board and being a reporter and paying for it got to be too much.

One thing  I remember about the board is that when it was founded, it was agreed that the administrator would have to be living in Thailand.  (And look what happened to Ajarn Forum when that admin. left Thailand.)  I assume that taking a break wasn't an option because there was no one else to fill his shoes.

Somebody should hold a memorial service.

Written in another thread.

3 minutes ago, aidenai said:

Yup. As long as teachers hold a university degree, a TCT temporary teaching permit can be obtained for a maximum of 6 years (latest regulations). When you get a temporary teaching permit, you'll get your extension of stay (Immigration) and your work permit (DOE). All worry-free. Unless you have family in Thailand, foreign teachers generally don't stay longer than 2 to 4 years in Thailand. Because of little info is needed to work legally, Facebook groups give sufficient though sometimes superficial information. No need anymore to set up and maintain an individual discussion board. 

I think that farewell message sums up that website brilliantly, poor English.

The site had admins and users that should have been studying English, not teaching it.

The visa questions were nearly always answered with incorrect info and incorrect terminology, I for one think the net is a better place without the site.

3 hours ago, somchaismith said:

Probably translated from German using Google Translate 

Stamp is Dutch, not Deutsch.

I noticed the subj-verb agreement misfire (need seem, not need seems) on the farewell message. BFD. Native speakers do worse daily.

5 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

I for one think the net is a better place without the site.

Even if you're correct and the net is better off w/out it, I'm better off for it.

I guess the memorial service is over.

Archived