Chonburi woman has her leg broken at a traditional Thai massage shop

webfact

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

You would imagine the knee to dislocate first unless the upper leg was literally jumped upon.

Knee dislocations are very rare and extremely serious injuries which are the result of high speed, high impact occurrences. 

Orthopeadic surgeons can spend a whole career without ever seeing such an injury.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, perthperson said:

Knee dislocations are very rare and extremely serious injuries which are the result of high speed, high impact occurrences. 

Orthopeadic surgeons can spend a whole career without ever seeing such an injury.

I agree with you.  That was exactly why it was used as an expression of surprise.  Time to move on.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, Kabula said:

and followed up by  She needs to get an MRI bone density scan as she may have osteopenia or  osteoporosis from lack of minerals and vitamin D.  If her bones are brittle, her hips could break next from her weight. 

If her bones are brittle, a defense attorney could argue there was no negligence on the part of the defendant. This is probably the reason why he declined to make any payments.

However, with said added stress procedure, they should always ask a customer if they have a history or ever been diagnosed with a bone density problem.   Especially with women.  If in fact she was diagnosed with osteopenia or osteoporosis and he didn't ask, a plaintiff attorney would argue negligence.   Then a  contributory negligence argument could arise,  because of the fact that she didn't disclose her medical condition, depending on local laws.

A bone density scan is not done with an MRI...at least mine was not 6 months ago. It was done with an extended scan at the hip.

The whole point of Magnetic Resonance Imaging is to exclude bone and focus on soft tissue , usually looking for a tumour  i.e. cancer often followed up by Positron Emission Tomography  (PET scan) if deemed to be necessary.

Edited by tryasimight

Just now, tryasimight said:

A bone density scan is not done with an MRI...at least mine was not 6 months ago. It was done with an extended scan at the hip.

The whole point of Magnetic Resonance Imaging is to exclude bone and focus on soft tissue , usually looking for a tumour  i.e. cancer

Sorry to disappoint you, but I had a three section bone density scan done three weeks ago and they referred to it as an MRI and the bill clearly states MRI. The machine was brand new unlike older models radiologists used in the past.  The image showed bones with a density read out similar to the older images.  This machine took much longer to complete the scan then the older machine. That is why I refer to the machine as an MRI. 

On 15/07/2017 at 7:16 AM, The Deerhunter said:

OOPs,  Near the knee.  My post was about NOF (neck-of-femur) but I have withdrawn it.  Yes very possibly a cyst or tumor but you would imagine they would have found that when they pinned it.  Poor lady.  Hard to imagine how anyone could break a femur there in any sort of massage.  You would imagine the knee to dislocate first unless the upper leg was literally jumped upon.  This takes the common (totally wrong) Thai supposition that massages have to be painful to be doing any good; to a whole new level.

Hmm not sure how you've arrived at the conclusion from the photo that the woman broke or fractured her Femur .. The metal rod or skewer driven thru the front of her Tibia or Shin bone just below the knee at an oblique angle is likely to be an anchor point for traction weights and although the photo doesn't show her foot one would suspect a similar skewer has been inserted through the heel for the same purpose .. These have the effect of pulling the leg straight and maintaining it in " loaded " position .. This form of traction is usually used to treat lower leg injuries such as the Tib' and Fib' bones and is quite an old method for dealing with leg injuries superceded by more modern technology in the West .. I would be more inclined to think that the woman has suffered an injury to the Fibula the smaller of the 2 lower leg bones .. Either way the " masseuse " is someone to avoid particularly when he still wanted his " fee " after injuring the Woman ..

On 16/07/2017 at 11:52 PM, Justgrazing said:

Hmm not sure how you've arrived at the conclusion from the photo that the woman broke or fractured her Femur .. The metal rod or skewer driven thru the front of her Tibia or Shin bone just below the knee at an oblique angle is likely to be an anchor point for traction weights and although the photo doesn't show her foot one would suspect a similar skewer has been inserted through the heel for the same purpose .. These have the effect of pulling the leg straight and maintaining it in " loaded " position .. This form of traction is usually used to treat lower leg injuries such as the Tib' and Fib' bones and is quite an old method for dealing with leg injuries superceded by more modern technology in the West .. I would be more inclined to think that the woman has suffered an injury to the Fibula the smaller of the 2 lower leg bones .. Either way the " masseuse " is someone to avoid particularly when he still wanted his " fee " after injuring the Woman ..

We all need something new and more exciting to speculate in-expertly on.  Time to move on.