Ups Monitoring Software

talatnat

I'll be getting an UPS soon, but am running into a hitch: Most of the software available to monitor AND shutdown a pc seems designed for Windows. I spend nearly all my time in the Ubuntu or OS X worlds, however, so I need programs for these platforms. There is the Energy Saver utility built into OS X that is supposed to recognize USB-equipped UPSs, but there are conflicting reports on how good it is. There doesn't appear to be any simple UPS monitoring tools in Linux (but I'm probably wrong here).

I'd appreciate it if you can share what UPS brand and what software/platform you are using, and any positive/negative experiences. I see many people recommending APC, but I've also seen its Power Chute software slammed as useless. I see a few Thai brands with reasonable specs (like Powermatic (Powercom) and Powertech, who also seem to sell in the US and Europe), and would really be interested to know how well these units/software work.

I've followed the other recent thread on UPS hardware, but I'm interested here more in the software.

Check out APCUPSd, it is cross platform, and I understand it is not limited to just APC branded units. It offers basic monitoring and shutdown functionality.

For Linux, anothe option is NUT.

Never used the native OS X utility, but my understanding was (as you stated) mixed results.

Check out APCUPSd, it is cross platform, and I understand it is not limited to just APC branded units. It offers basic monitoring and shutdown functionality.

Never used the native OS X utility, but my understanding was (as you stated) mixed results.

Thank you, that helps.

Thank you, that helps.

Googling for APCUPSd and NUT I came across this guide (which, incidentally, only recommends these two programs). It cleared up many questions for me, and might be helpful to others:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/UPS-HOWTO/