What is average price on higher land around Chiang Mai city skirt ?

Foozool

I would like to move to Chiang Mai sometime in future and if it is possible to build a small house somewhere not in Chiang Mai city since I can not afford that. I thought it would be better to look for somewhere in smaller towns/city around Chiang Mai city if I can find in affordable price range.

I have lived total of 3 months in Chiang Mai, but I feel I know nothing about it especially out skirt of the city. What I need is about 1/2 Rai on somewhat higher than flood zone. I understand that city water is not available everywhere. I appreciate if anyone knows about cost of well drill.  

2 hours ago, Foozool said:

I have lived total of 3 months in Chiang Mai, but I feel I know nothing about it

Don't bother thinking about buying land until you have lived in CM longer and know a lot about it.

I don't know if you can just scale linearly off of the land and house sizes but here's one data point. After shopping around for about a year, we bought a 350 sqm house in a gated moo baan in Saraphi on 150 Sq wah of land for 7.5M baht. That's about 10 or 12 km from the center of CM city and I don't think that it flooded there even in 2011.

The cost of drilling a well should be the least of your worries.    Land prices vary considerably.   For half a rai near the city, you are looking at 2-3m baht minimum.   Further out varies in what direction you go, North, East or South of the city.    Building lots that are ready to build are almost non-existent.  Except in an established moo ban, but then you may not be able to purchase a land plot and build your own house plans.    

Once you are here again, take time to look at all options.     You may end up not wanting to build and just rent a place.

If you like high ground, which is wise...check out west of the Canal Rd, South of CMU...it gets surprisingly rural pretty fast.  I would say 20,000 per TW...just isn't much available.  Right across the street from CMU..200,000 per TW.  I would look in the Old City...there are still some hidden areas ripe for development...maybe 20, but possibly closer to 30 per TW....and on the moat 175-250.  You will get more appreciation with infill.  You will always be competing with new builds on the outskirts, and the Thais frequently prefer new builds.  You could sell 10 beat up townhouses in the old city quicker than one house in San Sai.  Old City doesn't seem to flood.

2 hours ago, johng said:

A foreigner can't "own land"
you can get a 30 year lease or in some cases a (your) lifetime right to
use the land which can't be passed onto heirs.

I already know that, my question was different. Thankl you

a  good alternative, is  a second hand house ,where from your inspecctions the water is taken care of plus  there are loads on the market , on all points of the compass

presently it is a buyers market bigtime,and perhaps you can pick up a firesale on a property that is in your price range and liking ,and therfore  no need to test your nerves on new build etc etc

best of luck, early evening to all

a  good alternative, is  a second hand house ,where from your inspecctions the water is taken care of plus  there are loads on the market , on all points of the compass
presently it is a buyers market bigtime,and perhaps you can pick up a firesale on a property that is in your price range and liking ,and therfore  no need to test your nerves on new build etc etc
best of luck, early evening to all

Absolutely agree with looking for a second hand house rather than building a new one. That can be frustrating too because while it is a buyer's market by any standard there are a lot of sellers who don't price their houses sensibly and are willing to let them sit in the market for years. But dealing with that type of irrationality, and with the possibility that the seller might be hiding problems with the house, is a lot easier than dealing with contractors who might screw up or run away with your money before the house is finished.

9 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Absolutely agree with looking for a second hand house rather than building a new one. That can be frustrating too because while it is a buyer's market by any standard there are a lot of sellers who don't price their houses sensibly and are willing to let them sit in the market for years. But dealing with that type of irrationality, and with the possibility that the seller might be hiding problems with the house, is a lot easier than dealing with contractors who might screw up or run away with your money before the house is finished.

if the O/P takes our tip,  and looks at a second hand houses etc etc , the price tag asked by the owner/real estate agent its a fair bet its up to  one third over  the odds , C/MAI  real estate agents (apart from a select few)are a bunch of  Galahs ,  and thats putting it mildly , E/S  strongly advises the O/P  to look for a private  sale, where  you will find more common ground to secure  a  good buy etc etc 

its a steer clear of real estate agents ,good morning to all

Follow the old rule of thumb: never pay more than 1M baht for land, which gets you a half rai in the foothills at 5k/tw.  But even that is on the high end for totally undeveloped land. The other rule, if you're interested, is never pay more than 4M baht for a complete house, because the higher the value, the harder it is to resell. I know someone who built a beautiful 20M baht house, custom designed by a famous architect, featured in magazines etc., who decided to move back to the US, and hasn't found a buyer for years. Anyone who can afford it would rather build their own dream house.  Frugality is its own insurance. 

If money is tight, consider buying a decent house and renovating it, because new-home construction costs are unpredictable and the process is fraught with headaches and unknowns. With luck, you could do the whole shebang for 2M.

Honestly though, I would recommend investing a lot more time in getting to know Chiang Mai before making a commitment. I lived here almost 20 years, was married to my wife for 15, and spoke fluently before taking the plunge.  Even so, some days I have my doubts...

And if I were single, I'd probably be perfectly happy staying in the rental market, which is really good value and legally uncomplicated.

In any case, good luck and welcome.

2 hours ago, Puwa said:

Follow the old rule of thumb: never pay more than 1M baht for land, which gets you a half rai in the foothills at 5k/tw.  But even that is on the high end for totally undeveloped land.

in most parts of Maerim foothills (apart from  moobaans) to my knowledge you will be lucky to buy such a small plot (1/2 RAI)which the O/P is asking for,and in addition full channote title deeds,(red garuda) in some villiages  are as scarce as hen,s teeth,,  largely due to  Govt Depts being your next immediate next  door  neighbour,and a raft of other reasons

undeveloped land in the  Huay Sai district Maerim,  owners are  asking  to 10k /tw or 4 mil a rai plus ( full channote red garuda), other parts of Maerim  more,,  these days Maerim District undeveloped land ,(full channote or Nor  Sor Sam 3 Khor green garuda) finding a plot and for 1 mil is indeed a difficult task

a beautiful Maerimite mid morning to all

if the O/P takes our tip,  and looks at a second hand houses etc etc , the price tag asked by the owner/real estate agent its a fair bet its up to  one third over  the odds , C/MAI  real estate agents (apart from a select few)are a bunch of  Galahs ,  and thats putting it mildly , E/S  strongly advises the O/P  to look for a private  sale, where  you will find more common ground to secure  a  good buy etc etc 

its a steer clear of real estate agents ,good morning to all

Thailand needs a Zillow.com, there's no transparency in the market as it is now. But on the other hand, it wouldn't be suprising if contractors charged farangs one third over the odds for building a house too.

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Thailand needs a Zillow.com, there's no transparency in the market as it is now. But on the other hand, it wouldn't be suprising if contractors charged farangs one third over the odds for building a house too.

there is no transparency in C/Mai,s property market  due to these so called  R/Estate agents,inflating prices at times,  by four fold, then the peice of property is actually  worth

and in  dire times  which  are  prevailing right  now, avoid  these parasites and look for a private sale,you will certainlty be first past the winning post in all aspects:smile:, as for building contractors etc etc, at least, if   you are street smart and savvy enuff, you can sucessfully do a build here in C/Mai  without being taken to the cleaners,providing you got the balls to do it,and expect the stray kick in the shins,it just comes  with the  flow here,  a very nice afternoon to all

8 hours ago, Puwa said:

Follow the old rule of thumb: never pay more than 1M baht for land, which gets you a half rai in the foothills at 5k/tw.  But even that is on the high end for totally undeveloped land. The other rule, if you're interested, is never pay more than 4M baht for a complete house, because the higher the value, the harder it is to resell. I know someone who built a beautiful 20M baht house, custom designed by a famous architect, featured in magazines etc., who decided to move back to the US, and hasn't found a buyer for years. Anyone who can afford it would rather build their own dream house.  Frugality is its own insurance. 

If money is tight, consider buying a decent house and renovating it, because new-home construction costs are unpredictable and the process is fraught with headaches and unknowns. With luck, you could do the whole shebang for 2M.

Honestly though, I would recommend investing a lot more time in getting to know Chiang Mai before making a commitment. I lived here almost 20 years, was married to my wife for 15, and spoke fluently before taking the plunge.  Even so, some days I have my doubts...

And if I were single, I'd probably be perfectly happy staying in the rental market, which is really good value and legally uncomplicated.

In any case, good luck and welcome.

Actually I wont spend more than 1000,000 since it is over my budget. If I find anything around Chiang Mai otherwise I will look else where.

I am not going to build any house on the land since it will be on my girlfriend name. I will lease it (30 year)from her and place 2 containers on the lot (my own interior design/not costly though).  I can relocate them in case of any problem (unlikely).

he will be a lame duck  with containers as his dwellings etc etc fancy trying to give a heads up to this unfortunate  O/P as we have tried to do, i feel that i have been mugged

really do  feel sorry for him,and happily moving on

its a Dumb as they COME  late arvo to all

Containers could make a nice home, but you would still need plan approval, and by the time you had it all set up, it would likely cost more than the 10,000 PSM you could easily find a resale for.  I had a woman served for having a semitrailer parked beside her house indefinitely.

As far as not having sales data...a lot of that stems from people gaming the land office...as common as red light running.  A lot of the agents would be a lot better off if they simply sold houses, instead of acting as a market maker, or trying to make much more than 3%.  However, cutting the Realtor out of the deal, is also a common practice, here, and often easier than getting a cash discount from a merchant.  Multiple listing services and agencies splitting commission s are in their infancy.

If you spend a couple of months looking at land you will be able to find good chanote land at your price although you will need to be perhaps an hour outside of CM.

The key point is shopping around and knowing the value of land. My wife bought some land through a village headman type agent and it didn't change the price much at all.

I know that I saw a  piece of land in Mae Rim at that price two years ago and I don't think real prices have gone up that much since then?

Go to the Sansai Tessabon office and look on the road nearby and you will see a Container built property not pretty but allowed and tehre...

Good luck.

41 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I know that I saw a  piece of land in Mae Rim at that price two years ago and I don't think real prices have gone up that much since then?

our peice of dirt has risen at least  10% per annum over the last 12 yrs in Beverly Hills Maerim, can assure  you  of that

the  problem  is,  that once you do a build on the land,  that you buy, and combined both price tags,you are doing well to get your money back if you put it on the market to sell

and  as  fellow member Puwa  rightly says over capitalise on  your land/,build  and you will  lose out

land prices  will steadily grow each year, BUT  land /house  prices are presently  are in limbo land,, from my experiences in Maerim District, our property over 12 yrs  is,  we have,nt made a cracker from our initial investment,but have saved  approx 1.5 mil in rent etc etc and luckily received very favourable exchange rates during our build etc etc

the way i see it from a laymans view ,and been through it, if you are not prepared to stay 10 yrs or more on your purchase or build ,you will lose out,,and if you are short term ,  renting is far best route by the proverbial mile,and very advisable, whilst under marshall  law

its a Roger Federer good morning to all

I can relocate them in case of any problem (unlikely).

Honestly, no offence, but you really don't know Thailand.  Or, guess it depends on your definition of "problem".

But I'll give you credit for "moving mobile".  Wish I could pick up my home and take it back to America.  I'll probably just go and leave it here.  Nothing but problems all around me.

(I'm in Mae Rim.)

1 hour ago, bubba45 said:

I can relocate them in case of any problem (unlikely).

Honestly, no offence, but you really don't know Thailand.  Or, guess it depends on your definition of "problem".

But I'll give you credit for "moving mobile".  Wish I could pick up my home and take it back to America.  I'll probably just go and leave it here.  Nothing but problems all around me.

(I'm in Mae Rim.)

I meant if my girlfriend cause any problem. I can not get away from every problem by moving my container home.

I have lived here for 2 years. I'm sure I do not know as much as you.

If your problems are not personal why don't you share ? If you don't mind.

Archived