Poll shows people expect police reform will put an end to kickback practice

rooster59

police1.jpg

The majority of the people wanted to see police reform achieved and  justice be ensured and no kickbacks will re-emerge, according to Bangkok Poll.

Bangkok Poll, the research centre of Bangkok University, conducted survey of police reform from a total of 1,084 people across the country.

The survey, which was released today (July 15), focused on three topics which are core missions of the 36-member police reform committee chaired by Gen Boonsrang Niampradit. They are organisational structure;  inquiry work; and personnel management.

On organisational structure, most respondents, 26.5% wanted to see the Royal Thai Police reports directly to prime minister as what it is currently, while 24.4%  wanted it to come under the Interior Ministry and 22.6% wanted the Royal Thai Police to go under the supervision of the Justice Ministry.

On inquiry work, 59.0% said investigation power of the police should be transferred to other government agencies same as other countries. But 28.3% disagreed, saying the investigation power should be tested with the police, while 12.7% voiced uncertainty.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/-poll-shows-people-expect-police-reform-get-rid-kickback/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-16

11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The majority of the people wanted to see police reform achieved and  justice be ensured and no kickbacks will re-emerge, according to Bangkok Poll.

Alas...

I suspect that the majority of the people will not see police reform achieved, injustice will be continued and kick-backs will increase.

Sigh...

"The majority of the people wanted to see police reform achieved and  justice be ensured and no kickbacks will re-emerge, according to Bangkok Poll."

First they need to crack down on mind altering drugs. It appears that a majority of the people are stoned out of their minds to think this pipe dream has anything more than a snowball's chance in hell. 

In the OP photo they do not look interested.
One half is sleeping and the others are playing with their smartphones.

Edited by tomacht8

Ha de ha de ha! A room full of the most corrupt people in Thailand. And they speak innocently of kickbacks like they had never heard of the word before. Butter in the mouth doesn't melt any faster than this. Little angels the lot of them.

9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

In the OP photo they do not look interested.
One half is sleeping and the others are playing with their smartphones.

The only time I've ever seen a cop interested in anything is when they were wanting 200 baht from me for doing 127 kph in a 125 kph zone.

A monumental task if ever there was one.  If they were not called the police, they would be called a merry band of occasionally well meaning, corrupt, and armed civil servants.

Given their low pay, they have had to resort to nefarious ways to earn a living.  Having done that for so long, a pay rise would have little effect on their poor habits.  This will take decades to change even after compensating them fairly.  

A monumental gathering of sanctimonious lawful thieves. Have a good look at them. All sitting there nursing or playing with or staring at their beloved smartphones. Probably checking out the calendar dates for the next  collection run of "insurance" fees from bars and stallholders.

Lord only knows what is going on up the back of the room. Probably sharing up the tea money loot according to the distribution lists.

The fellow on the left looks like he is far away in the land of Nod.

Edited by Cadbury

Whilst the highest level of Thai government are themselves taking kick backs the lowest  levels of the Thai organisations, and you can not get much lower than the RTP,  will still continue to take their tea money.  It is rooted in Thai culture at the highest levels so until that change and an example is set the RTP will never change. 

23 minutes ago, esprit said:

Whilst the highest level of Thai government are themselves taking kick backs the lowest  levels of the Thai organisations, and you can not get much lower than the RTP,  will still continue to take their tea money.  It is rooted in Thai culture at the highest levels so until that change and an example is set the RTP will never change. 

at the ultimate unmentionable levels

4 hours ago, BuckBee said:

and give time for current corrupt inept scum to die off .

yet corruption within the police is a self-perpetuating system; young cops learn from the older cops; they learn their corrupt ways and likely are intimidated to engage in them

1 hour ago, kannot said:

at the ultimate unmentionable levels

Yes and that is exactly the biggest obstacle to overcome.  Like many people have said before me,  the only way to kill a snake is cut its head off.

Corruption is so ingrained here,is going to take years of scrubbing and monumental amount of bleach,

to even make some kind of inroad,and who is going to be brave enough to take on the task,committees 

have been set up,that's so when they don't achieve the desired results no one person gets the blame and

resulting loss of face,some would say they are up against the biggest criminal organisation in Thailand,

and the amount of dodgy money they take in everyday,they are not going to give that up easily.something 

needs to happen,but is the will really there ?

regards worgeordie

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

A monumental task if ever there was one.  If they were not called the police, they would be called a merry band of occasionally well meaning, corrupt, and armed civil servants.

Given their low pay, they have had to resort to nefarious ways to earn a living.  Having done that for so long, a pay rise would have little effect on their poor habits.  This will take decades to change even after compensating them fairly.  

I believe there was a UN body that described the Thai police as organized crime

5 hours ago, jaywalker said:

The only time I've ever seen a cop interested in anything is when they were wanting 200 baht from me for doing 127 kph in a 125 kph zone.

I do believe there are no 125kph zones in Thailand. Is the speed limit not 120 ?

Sorry, just an observation..:smile:

44 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I do believe there are no 125kph zones in Thailand. Is the speed limit not 120 ?

Sorry, just an observation..:smile:

Yeah, you are right.

Been in the USA a bit now & my kph math is off......Anyhow, I was 2-3 kph over.

"YOU! 200 baht is OK".

I just let my wife drive now in Thailand....Even though she couldn't drive a ten penny nail into a piece of cornbread when I met her.

She's a good driver now..

Edited by jaywalker

How do you 'reform' an Armed Mafia and an organisation listed by the UN as 'A Criminal Organisation' ?

Answer....you don't unless your Government is deadly serious about doing it and executes or imprisons for life terms major grafters from all levels of that organisation, thereby ripping out the rotten core.

How prepared are any Thai Government to handle this job ?   I think we know the answer !

16 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Alas...

I suspect that the majority of the people will not see police reform achieved, injustice will be continued and kick-backs will increase.

Sigh...

In there dreams sighhh zzz

Look at the new chief in Pattaya - all monthly payments from bar owners to be increased.  On soi 6, bars cannot open in the afternoon till a new price has been agreed. Rotten to the core.  Police/Reform/Thailand are words that should never appear in the same sentence except in a negative sense.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Corruption is so ingrained here,is going to take years of scrubbing and monumental amount of bleach,

to even make some kind of inroad,and who is going to be brave enough to take on the task,committees 

have been set up,that's so when they don't achieve the desired results no one person gets the blame and

resulting loss of face,some would say they are up against the biggest criminal organisation in Thailand,

and the amount of dodgy money they take in everyday,they are not going to give that up easily.something 

needs to happen,but is the will really there ?

regards worgeordie

Not going to happen need to pay right money maybe a chance " problem is ,  its a world wide eperdemic , fifa , Olympic committee , politicians , all sports codes , stockmarket + brokers they bought America to its knees , insurance , car dealers , IT comp , real estste agent , legal system " criky its every where not just thailand " more blatantly obvious every end of the month cops waiting for no helmet day " family pay day off out on family sedan / scooter , monthly night market run , sunday big C or tesco   .  

8 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Yeah, you are right.

Been in the USA a bit now & my kph math is off......Anyhow, I was 2-3 kph over.

"YOU! 200 baht is OK".

I just let my wife drive now in Thailand....Even though she couldn't drive a ten penny nail into a piece of cornbread when I met her.

She's a good driver now..

No worries, I too sometimes forget the conversions......I was just trying to instill a little humour to the proceedings...I think I realised what you meant........Re your better half driving.............All thanks to your tuition !!!.....   .:thumbsup::thumbsup: