Poll shows people expect police reform will put an end to kickback practice

rooster59

P.S. Jaywalker........

Since the other half learnt to drive three months ago...........Sorry, I will re-phrase that.....Since she got her car license,........I find that she is now telling me as we drive along.....(quote )......Look at that idiot......or.....stupid woman......or......These people on motorbike no understand..........I still have to get her to admit that I get angry........No........wrong.........I get frustrated ( politically correct ) at their antics because of how they drive...... Because no matter what.....in the end I am still a Falang who not unerstand Thailand.......Bless her .....:tongue:

On 7/15/2017 at 8:07 PM, rooster59 said:

On inquiry work, 59.0% said investigation power of the police should be transferred to other government agencies same as other countries.

Whenever the Thai government says "same as other countries" I suspect the accuracy of such statement. The truth is usually "unlike other countries" or "same as other countries but with Thainess." I can't think of a Western country where police do not have investigative authority.

Poll: Thais want police reform sped up with Article 44

By The Nation

f5f4a3b4d141997a6e966645da190d99.png

BANGKOK: -- More than half of Thais believe that Article 44 of the Interim Constitution should be invoked to facilitate police reform, according to a poll.

Conducted by the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), a recent survey revealed that 61.76 per cent of 1,250 respondents agreed with the invocation.

“These respondents believe the invocation will speed up the overhaul for better changes like greater flexibility and less corruption,” the survey found. 

Some 27.84 per cent of respondents disagreed with the use of Article 44 for police reform, citing that such a move could constitute too much interference and create a climate of semi-dictatorial pressure. 

Article 44 gives special powers to the chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), which staged the 2014 coup. This legal clause remains in effect even after the new constitution came into force earlier this year. 

Conducted between July 13 and 14, the survey on police reform found 30.32 per cent of people hoped the

National Police Office would remain under the supervision of the prime minister following the reform.

Of those polled, 50.48 per cent believed police should retain investigation powers. But some 44.24 per cent others thought otherwise, explaining that police should have just the power to suppress crimes and make arrests, while other agencies should be in charge of investigations to provide a check-and-balance mechanism. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30320884

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-17

8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

No worries, I too sometimes forget the conversions......I was just trying to instill a little humour to the proceedings...I think I realised what you meant........Re your better half driving.............All thanks to your tuition !!!.....   .:thumbsup::thumbsup:

No Worries Buddy. :smile:

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Of those polled, 50.48 per cent believed police should retain investigation powers.

Most Thai cops cannot inspect/investigate their underwear for dingleberries....unless they think there might be some money in it for them.

Edited by jaywalker

What a meaningless poll! "What people expect to happen" In a country where reality and reform are not compatible. Those who answered the survey should know better!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Difficult to reign in corruption in a society and culture in which financial mobility is almost completely absent. 

"Hey, look! I pocket a couple of "fines" and I can afford a little chicken this week!"

Meanwhile the Red Bull types are seen to break all rules and laws with impunity.

Not unique to Thailand by any means, but arguably more institutionalized.

99.999999999% thais and 100% foriegners would be more truthful.

Get rid of the dam police boxes on every corner also. To my surprise they are used to watch innocent people in aid of intimidation and control their criminal behavior. Turns out after my own families paranoia due to dobbing in corruption via a hotline i felt i should buy an sdr police scanner listening device and it turns out my car and bikes are being mentioned at intersections as i pass. So its against the law to use the hotline to dob in corruption and how in hell does the police know who called. What a fkn screwed up country this is. Out of control! Well actually controlled by uneducated bib and soi dogs. Pm is a useless idiot and hasnt done anything at all. Hes got mental issues obviously. Lets see him use article 44 to wipe out corruption. He would go down as a hero but unlikely.

34 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Difficult to reign in corruption in a society and culture in which

.... the rule of law is divided into two standards for two different classes of Thais: the polity (aka "The People") and the "good intentions" elite who hold extra-constitutional authority through culture, wealth and arms over the polity under a state of exception. Now memorialized in the 2017 Constitution.

"Thailand’s legalization of 'abnormal times' since the 1950s entails a permanent suspension of constitutional order—or a "state of exception" in which sovereign power defines the possible."1

The underlying ideology seems driven by (surprise) Thai Buddhist logic:

"This pattern [of a coup d’etat and self-issued amnesty and constitution seems inexplicable unless we look at the practise as ritual purification—a public act certified by Thai Theravada Buddhism that recognizes a sacrifice (staging a coup), acknowledges a necessary murder (the killing of a constitution), and rewards giving (a new constitution, a new political order)."1

So it's not that the junta is incorrect to focus on resolving corruption in the nation. Fighting corruption in the police organization should be part of the national agenda. It's that the junta (or any junta for that matter) is the wrong moral and legal authority to honestly do so.

1Truth on Trial in Thailand: Defamation, Treason and Lese-majeste by David Streckfuss as related in an interview by Michael K. Connors with Streckfuss, published in Critical Asian Studies 43:1 (2011).

http://criticalasianstudies.org/issues/vol43/no1/truth-on-trial-in-thailand.html