Tens of thousands sign petition to get 'My Mate Nate' booted out of Thailand

webfact

no big deal.  I have seen people blacklisted for much less. All it needs is for one officer to declare him a menace to society and that's it. End of story. The appeal process is lengthy and difficult.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, zzidenn said:

Digital nomad

Unless I missed an important development, there's no "digital nomad" work permit. It's just a gray area and they normally let them do their work, as long as it does not bother anybody. If one of them mess up with the wrong people, they can kick him out for working without permit.

As for Nate, he's probably setup a company. He should be making several ten of thousands dollars per month from YouTube, and he's got a lot of exposure. So if he's not following the rules, he would have been kicked out a while ago.

Just now, SymS said:

Unless I missed an important development, there's no "digital nomad" work permit. It's just a gray area and they normally let them do their work, as long as it does not bother anybody. If one of them mess up with the wrong people, they can kick him out for working without permit.

As for Nate, he's probably setup a company. He should be making several ten of thousands dollars per month from YouTube, and he's got a lot of exposure. So if he's not following the rules, he would have been kicked out a while ago.

I never said there was a digital nomad workpermit, just that he is one. Many people do that, working for google or a company somewhere else. 

27 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Well I think it's fairly common knowledge that he didn't use Thai coins so where does lese majeste come in to it?

Well I cannot say as I was not with the guy if the coins were Thai or not...but if you are so sure that they were not Thai coins (as we all naturally have large stocks of foreign coins with us)...I'll take your word on that.

I also assume that you may consider that putting objets on a rail track is not all that dangerous?

6 hours ago, davethailand said:

Well its the first I've heard about the petition to boot him out but now I do know I shall sign straight away.

I hope the <deleted> does get booted AFTER the authorities get him.

:)

persoanlly, i find it difficult to understand why somebody could be so petty as to sign such a thing.

i also think its wrong to participate in a social media campaign attempting to to take immigration matters into its own hands.

id be more worried about keeping my own house in order.

Edited by HooHaa

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

What he did do was destroy the Kings Head on the coins. It is illegal to mess with Thai money by tearing it, or burning it or stepping on it as this is a direct assault against the Thai royalty.  If they want to kick him out of put him in jail, then that is where they need to start. 

destroyed the image of .... 

8 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Well I cannot say as I was not with the guy if the coins were Thai or not...but if you are so sure that they were not Thai coins (as we all naturally have large stocks of foreign coins with us)...I'll take your word on that.

I also assume that you may consider that putting objets on a rail track is not all that dangerous?

or you could just watch the video where he clearly shows the nationality of the coins used.

observer indeed. 

39 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Ever heard of lèse majesté , my friend? Look it up, regarding amongst others, how you must respect Thai currency.

Not to mention that putting stuff on a railway track could cause an accident... Have a nice day!

It's been proven time and time again a coin on a track will cause no harm to the train or track, as for lese majeste............. seems he was using foreign currency, whether this is true or not I do not know but if it was Thai coins I'am sure this would have been mention by an official source and most likely part of the "you need to come in and talk to us" spiel.

But lets see where this goes from here, he can only annoy Thai officialdom so many times before they roll out the "screw you buddy" card and nail him hard for something......... maybe a free holiday to murder island !!

Edited by Techno Viking

All those who are whiming like a bunch of virgins that they did same when young, just keep in mind that when you were young, YouTube did not exist...so if you wanted to risk getting crushed by a train, fine you did it without bragging  to the entire planet... but here the issue is different...These actions are being posted with dangerous public influence to teens.....if that's how you like to educate your kids, fine , but on the long run, such hazardous encouragements towards teens is not the correct track (:sleep:) to take !!

I have lost the English translated text to Article 44, but I do remember reading there IS a provision dealing with CRUELITY to animals.

At the time I thought why!!!  Need I say more!  ( Article 44 covers almost anything a human being could do )

There is also a immigration ..boot out of Thailand..  for "the good of the Kingdom" clause

Good time to use!!

7 hours ago, davethailand said:

Well its the first I've heard about the petition to boot him out but now I do know I shall sign straight away.

For <deleted> substitute "pillock"!

7 hours ago, davethailand said:

Migjt be kinda hard to get booted out before the authorities get him?

1 hour ago, zzidenn said:

what most people here don't realize, is the fact that Nate has more than 3 million subscribers on YouTube....the older generations might not fully grasp the  proportions of this, but he is playing in the major league of YouTube and quite certainly banks more money than you can imagine. I don't necessarily have to agree with his choice of topics but apparently it works.

You have to consider this kind of media as if it was a tv program, some people do make up tutorials others give advice and then again other will entertain. Trying to get him to leave thailand is just very silly. Welcome to 2017

agree. nate has literally 5% of the country population and a high saturation of younger people. as silly as his style may seem to some it is equally as silly to hate him for it. anyone recall the drive to burn every beatles record?  or the uproar over lenny bruce.

may i suggest the haters find some hobbies and get a life. 

ps; tv forum is not a life

Edited by atyclb

12 minutes ago, atyclb said:

agree. nate has literally 5% of the country population and a high saturation of younger people. as silly as his style may seem to some it is equally as silly to hate him for it. anyone recall the drive to burn every beatles record?  or the uproar over lenny bruce.

may i suggest the haters find some hobbies and get a life. 

ps; tv forum is not a life

I see your point, but surely everyone has a choice to either "love" something (as per your 5%) or "hate" it (no figures available)

Personally, I find this type of "entertainment" about as interesting as watching paint dry, or listening to "rap" (crap without the"c") music, and I reserve my right to say so!

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

This petition, and all the other expressions of outrage by the "netizens" is playing right into Nate's hands.

He is getting more attention and more money.

I wouldn't be surprised if he started the petition himself.

Yes, just like all those celebs who complain about having their photos taken, or being hounded by the paparazzi. They'd be a lot more upset if nobody was interested in taking their photo!   

‘My Mate Nate’ charged with railway obstruction

k1.jpg

BANGKOK — A controversial American YouTuber who was slammed for flattening coins on train tracks was charged Monday with railway obstruction and trespassing.

The charges for minor misdemeanors against Nate Bartling, or “My Mate Nate” – for a video in which he is seen trying to flatten coins by taping them to train tracks – were revealed Monday at the State Railway of Thailand, where he held a press conference together with police and railway officials to apologize.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/07/17/mate-nate-charged-railway-obstruction-photos/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-17

1 minute ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

‘My Mate Nate’ charged with railway obstruction

BANGKOK — A controversial American YouTuber who was slammed for flattening coins on train tracks was charged Monday with railway obstruction and trespassing.

The charges for minor misdemeanors against Nate Bartling, or “My Mate Nate” – for a video in which he is seen trying to flatten coins by taping them to train tracks – were revealed Monday at the State Railway of Thailand, where he held a press conference together with police and railway officials to apologize.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/07/17/mate-nate-charged-railway-obstruction-photos/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-17

He has a work visa, what is that ?