Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, baboon said:

How would having to show 20 Grand at the border prevent the holders of any visa class issued anywhere, from working illegally? 

It wouldn't.

The abolition of that out-dated class of visa would.

It is used simply as a loop-hole by those not able to live/work here through the proper legal system.

They either don't have the funds or an income stream to stay here with the proper extension of stay.

This is about the crack down on those suspected of illegal employment. 

The next crack down would be Single-Entry Non-O visas only, or else insistence of showing 400k baht to get a multiple one. The rort has been open to those working illegally here for far too long. 

Am I the only one who saw this coming? 

Theres all the big cheeses down the road, kicking ass at Sadao, whilst CCTV is hastily installed, now people are wondering why rules are enforced at neighbouring checkpoints.

I a ME-O because I use it's ME functionality, and stopped using the PB border about 4-6 months agI, things got a little  stupid' at PB recently.

3 minutes ago, DLang said:

It wouldn't.

It is used simply as a loop-hole by those not able to live/work here through the proper legal system.

They either don't have the funds or an income stream to stay here with the proper extension of stay.

The next crack down would be Single-Entry Non-O visas only, or else insistence of showing 400k baht to get a multiple one. The rort has been open to those working illegally here for far too long. 

Another way would be to make it easier for people to work here legally. There's no unemployment for thais.. Everyone can get a job if they want.. Just many dont want... But let foreigners that want to work come and work. Just make sure that they pay taxes and everyone benefits.

57 minutes ago, impulse said:

The same things that can go wrong carrying a laptop, a smartphone, a nice camera, a wedding ring or any one of a dozen other things worth more we all carry with us when we travel.

But money can take different forms. This is why people have debit and credit cards. It's a form of payment that's exclusive to the card holder. I never carry too much cash as I don't want to lose it. If I lose a card, I have others and the one I lost can be replaced.

As for laptops and  nice things - they are what they are. This is 2017 and the world is slowly moving away from cash and into the digital age of smart pay, etc. 

Just now, hobz said:

But let foreigners that want to work come and work. Just make sure that they pay taxes and everyone benefits.

What?!?  Criminals, those with no qualifications, no skills, no education..... yeah, that's a great idea!!  

Didn't finish school? Tired of mopping the toilets in McDonald's in Stoke-On-Trent? Fly to Thailand, mop the toilets in McDonald's Bang Khen and be given a long term visa for doing so! 

4 minutes ago, hobz said:

Another way would be to make it easier for people to work here legally. There's no unemployment for thais.. Everyone can get a job if they want.. Just many dont want... But let foreigners that want to work come and work. Just make sure that they pay taxes and everyone benefits.

Well said.  Why should work be illegal?  It's the opposite (laziness) that makes society go downhill.

5 minutes ago, DLang said:

It wouldn't.

So this is all about a class of visa you personally disapprove of. Why are you so bothered about who is in Thailand, their visa class and employment status? Do you also watch controversial TV programmes in order to complain about them?

Hmmm ...I live in Laos, and I often carry at least $500 to $1000 USD, some Aussy dollars, Thai Baht, maybe 5000 to 10,000 and millions of Lao Kip (2 million kip = $250 USD or say near 9000 Baht) I wonder if they accept a Mixture of Currencies ? As I only pop into Thailand for a few days at a time, (Usually to go to Hospital) I usually use my credit card or debit card for most payments so that I'm not overburdened with Thai Baht ... !

Pretty much every country has the same rules . I have traveled to many country's over the years . Never questioned. I think if you look as though you have nothing they will ask . A normal tourist wouldn't go anywhere without a few grand. So 20k Baht isn't really a big ask .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I know people that only have an AMEX card with them -- never cash...  and they probably have more money than most of the people on here combined.

And they won't be asked to show cash.

35 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Unscrupulous taxi drivers already cheat you by claiming they have no change.  If you come in with 20  thousand-baht bills, you may lose a whole one your first trip from the airport.  Maybe immigrations should mandate having some change--might be a more practical mandate.

Well you could always use common sense and go to a currency exchange booth or even buy something in a shop for a small amount. If you can't understand that then perhaps you shouldn't be allowed out without your Mummy holding your hand.

It is NOT the job of Immigration to sort out your money problems, it is your problem.

There is nothing stopping you getting 1 or 2 thousand baht in small change before you arrive at Immigration. It really isn't difficult or rocket science, simply common sense.

49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Its daft really. So now everyone will be carrying 20,000 and of course it proves nothing. When will the thefts start from taxi drivers and others?

Of course not.

Only people they suspect of working are asked for this requirement. And the only reason they are being asked is so the IO has an easy way to reject them.

21 minutes ago, daiwill said:

Has anyone at TVN actually thought about going to Changwattana and asking the head honcho there  <deleted> is actually going on, instead of asking some anonymous dumbo office clerk in a uniform in an provincial immigration office?????????

mmmmm???

That is a great idea.

When will YOU be going?

Don't forget to post the answer afterwards.

I admit I have not read through this entire thread  but.....

If you tried to enter a private domain like a  night club, some toughy is gonna size you

up , ask for your ID, look you over as to whether your there to dance , buy drinks or lift wallets.

Every club has their dress code, requirements.

Back in the early nineties  beggars on streets were much more  common than they are now. But my last time visiting I was shocked to step across westerners begging for coin. No mistake of the  G7 nations  {nationality spared} . They were  obviously strung out needing whatever they could get.

I think  Thailand puts up with way too many  bad ambassador's already,  why should they be troubled with some rich countries junkies ?

A tool can have multiple uses,  hammers  can pound nails , or they can smash skulls,  multi use.

Maybe their  concerned about  illegal workers but that's not their only problem.

Where I saw junkies  was a bit surprising that far from ko sarn but who knows what kinda dirt lives in the parts of town we don't know.

Anyways Thailand has more than payed their dues to push  the market up a bit. If you dont have 20K  get back to work,  I don't take holidays every year , just when i can afford it.

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

So this is all about a class of visa you personally disapprove of. Why are you so bothered about who is in Thailand, their visa class and employment status? Do you also watch controversial TV programmes in order to complain about them?

No, it is about visas that people use to illegally work here on.

Now they are cracking down on those with Tourist Visas.

The other visa those working here illegally use is the Multiple-Entry Non-O Visa that Savannakhet Consulate give away without having to show any funds.

Surely that loophole will be closed soon as part of the crack-down upon those living/working here on incorrect visas. 

6 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

It is a long time ago I came to Thailand as a tourist : I would not have known those days where to buy Thai banknotes in any bank or money changer of my home country in Europe.

I started coming here in 1993 for work and I always found a place or two in the UK to do a currency exchange before I left. Quite often I would ask payroll to give me some from my salary along with travellers cheques.

4 minutes ago, DLang said:

No, it is about visas that people use to illegally work here on.

Now they are cracking down on those with Tourist Visas.

The other visa those working here illegally use is the Multiple-Entry Non-O Visa that Savannakhet Consulate give away without having to show any funds.

Surely that loophole will be closed soon as part of the crack-down upon those living/working here on incorrect visas. 

Again; why are you so bothered? And how do you know who is doing what on which visas?

????????

Who only carries large denomination notes when taking a taxi? Most travelers have known since Moses was a boy to have small money for such as taxis. There are plenty of forex booths to change a couple of 1000 baht notes for taxi fare at airports or such.

Just sit in the taxi until they miraculously find some change. Works for me.

2 hours ago, action said:

Having 20k cash in your pocket is clear, irrefutable evidence that you are not working illegally.  Nice job Immigration!  

40 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Although I see nothing wrong with being asked to show money when entering a country, I do disagree with the comment quoted above, which, to me, is a rediculous comment. How does showing 20,00 baht prove your not working in the country? In fact, how can any amount of money prove your not working here in Thailand? If your a genuine tourist, you either travel with credit cards or with cash so part of the 20,000 baht being accessible through a credit card transaction should also be included in the requirement.

Hello Falcon

When I read action's comment in the first post quoted above, I smiled because I assumed that he was being sarcastic.

32 minutes ago, coppywriter said:

Why don't the banks install ATM's airside and save all this agro?

ATM machines have a lot of costs involved which in turn requires a high volume of transactions to make feasible (rent paid to AOT would be one of the highest fees). But the key logistic issue is cash replenishment - if these machines were air-side (as needed for this case) then all the cash transport people would need clearance to work the machines. Overall, bigger headache than it's worth for any of the banks to consider installing air-side machines (on the walkway between gate and immigration)

I use to work in Thailand 3 year ago. Now I live and work in my home country. I visit Thailand atleast twice a year on tourist visa (VOA) with max stay ranging from a week to 10 days. So lets say by now I have about 7 or 8 VOA stamps in my passport, will I be refused entry?

6 minutes ago, baboon said:

Again; why are you so bothered? And how do you know who is doing what on which visas?

Why does pointing out the obvious = bothered?

Are you nervous? No other way of working or living here? 

Archived