Bank asks for more money

At a particular bank, I sent a small sum of money to an overseas bank account, from Thailand. I was charged the transfer duty, which I paid. Got my bank receipts etc, all done.

12 days after the transaction, the bank phones me and says I have to pay an extra B500.00 for banking fees?

Something smells rotton here. Can the bank legally do this?

williamgeorgeallen if its legal to do, no worries in paying up, but if it an illegal after the action payment, then my answer is not to pay. The amount does not worry me, it is the fact that this is called for, 12 days after I had done the transaction.

Using the fee schedule on Bangkok Bank's website for money sent out of the country it would seem there is an option for additional charges depending on the receiving bank's charges ... and presumably something similar would apply to all banks in Thailand.

Transfer funds overseas

·       Foreign currency

·       Recipients are responsible for overseas
bank fees

400 Baht per transaction

·       Senders are responsible for overseas bank fees

·       JPY

400 Baht plus 0.05% of the transfer value
(minimum 2,100 Baht) per transaction

·       HKD

1,350 Baht per transaction

·       Other currencies

1,150 Baht per transaction 
(The bank may collect an additional

fee if the overseas bank charges fees

exceeding 1,150 Baht)

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CurrencyExchange/Pages/Fees.aspx#2

Edited by Suradit69

3 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Using the fee schedule on Bangkok Bank's website for money sent out of the country it would seem there is an option for additional charges depending on the receiving bank's charges ... and presumably something similar would apply to all banks in Thailand.

Transfer funds overseas

·       Foreign currency

·       Recipients are responsible for overseas
bank fees

400 Baht per transaction

·       Senders are responsible for overseas bank fees

·       JPY

400 Baht plus 0.05% of the transfer value
(minimum 2,100 Baht) per transaction

·       HKD

1,350 Baht per transaction

·       Other currencies

1,150 Baht per transaction 
(The bank may collect an additional fee if the
overseas bank charges fees exceeding 1,150 Baht)

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CurrencyExchange/Pages/Fees.aspx#2

Thank you Suradit69. There is the answer I was looking for. The bank may collect additional charges if the overseas bank charges fees exceeding 1,150 Baht. I paid 1,150 Baht, so I will go to the bank tomorrow morning to pay. Thank you.

It could be a case that the bank employee charged you the incorrect amount and that someoone later on noticed it. The bank employee was then asked to either get the money from you or pay it in. So I think best to determine the correct amount to have been paid. If the higher amount is correct then you should pay it if not no need to pay. If you dont pay and its due they will force the employee to pay.

5 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

To avoide what cheats?

read the post, read the papers, read google, eat a watermelon if it is too hot, take a dip in the pool......your will find the answer by yourself:cheesy:

Edited by observer90210

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

seems banks can do what ever they want. i was asked for a cash 1% fee to apply for a mortgage. up to you if you pay the 6USD. not enough to really worry about.

I think the 1% is charged by the land department for putting the mortgage warning on the chanot. it is 1% of the sum you borrow, not the official value of the property

Why they did not let you know about the fee at time of of transaction ! 

You better go to the same branch and tell them that you would not send the money if you knew it is going to cost you as much.

They had to tell you before the transaction, not 12 days after. 

Perhaps you are dealing with an employee not the bank. The employee has made mistake and wants to fix it by getting the rest of the fee.

Edited by Foozool

Foozool, I think what has happened is the recieving banks fees are a bit higher than the fees I already paid, hence the follow up to get me to pay the correct amount owning. If it just an employee fault, I will get them the manager to look into that employee. I am a little wiser after having read of the lady teller who keept 40,000.00Baht out of 80,000.00Baht the depositor wanted to deposit. When the depositor looked at the bank book, only 40,000.00Baht was actually deposited. So social media is making one more aware of "funnies"out there.

20 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

seems banks can do what ever they want. i was asked for a cash 1% fee to apply for a mortgage. up to you if you pay the 6USD. not enough to really worry about.

Yes, I have seen surprise charges (years ago) when my bank used another clearing bank, who tagged on a fee. In my case a complaint to my bank saw it refunded.

1 hour ago, sandemara said:

This obviously bulls - - t. The OP is a drama queen or has worn his tinfoil hat for too long.

Up yer a..e dude. Mods this matter has been resolved.

The receiving bank charged extra fees for a deposit in Aus $.

Drama queen, I dont think so snowflake.

Mods you may close this post, as the matter is sorted out. Thank you.