Next election will be high tech, says EC

snoop1130

Next election will be high tech, says EC

By The Nation

a04289cc106cd54a80409cf6c82acecd.jpeg

High tech measures will be introduced at the next election, the Election Commission concluded at meeting on Monday.

Central government and local government officials also attended the meeting, in which an understanding was also reached on the draft bills of the EC and political parties as well as the EC regulation draft on provincial election inspectors.

For election preparations, the discussion included making voting easier for the elderly and handicapped, online candidacy, voter registrations, the uses of smart card readers in polling booths and online voting.

Also discussed was the uses of mobile applications to facilitate election procedures, the use of risk management programs in the process, the use of newly-designed ballot boxes and the appointment of provincial election inspectors.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30320966

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-17

5 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

So high tech there will be need to vote as Prayuth has already read the minds of the people and declared himself the new PM.

what may have started as a joke some time back looks quite probable; incumbents usually  win the following elections

8 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

what may have started as a joke some time back looks quite probable; incumbents usually  win the following elections

They do when they eliminate any opposition which seems about the only focus of the junta. Elections, such a waste of money when Prayuth knows that he is the only one in the universe who can solve al Thai issues. Just look how successful he was with the lotteries and covering up the twerking bimbo.

In fact, he is very good at covering up anything he doesnt want the population to see!

"High tech measures will be introduced at the next election..."

"High Tech"...meaning the candidates will  pay off the voters by wiring the 300 baht payouts into their accounts, instead of handing them out in person. 

Edited by jaltsc

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

For election preparations, the discussion included making voting easier for the elderly and handicapped, online candidacy, voter registrations, the uses of smart card readers in polling booths and online voting.

I've been online since 1998. I fail to see how a "card reader" can be used for a thumbs up or thumbs down vote.

What is a "smart card" anyhow?

How many elderly Thai's even know how to turn on a computer?

I could go on & on with this article.

One of the biggest disincentives to taking part (and to voting no) in last year's constitutional referendum was a widespread perception that because of the fingerprinting ballots could be identified. Whether or not that was possible, or logistically possible, the perception was enough.

A "high tech election" is going to achieve exactly the same perception.

27 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I've been online since 1998. I fail to see how a "card reader" can be used for a thumbs up or thumbs down vote.

What is a "smart card" anyhow?

How many elderly Thai's even know how to turn on a computer?

• All Thai ID cards are "smart" so the card reader can be used to ensure correct ID, location, vote once, rather than long paper lists as is the current method. Voting itself is still X in a box.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card if you have a Rabbit, MRT or EasyPass or any modern bank card you already have one.
  • No need to do anything with a computer, insert the card into the reader.

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:
  • All Thai ID cards are "smart" so the card reader can be used to ensure correct ID, location, vote once, rather than long paper lists as is the current method. Voting itself is still X in a box.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card if you have a Rabbit, MRT or EasyPass or any modern bank card you already have one.
  • No need to do anything with a computer, insert the card into the reader.

Big Brother eh?

1 minute ago, jaywalker said:

Big Brother eh?

In a way. In reality the ID card does nothing, it's "smarts" are rarely used.

Your spending habits are logged by Visa / MasterCard etc, travel by Rabbit and the like (although this is theoretically anonymous reload it with your credit-card and a link is formed). Your phone gives out loads of information about your location etc.

It's difficult to stay incognito in the modern world.

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Your spending habits are logged by Visa / MasterCard etc, travel by Rabbit and the like (although this is theoretically anonymous reload it with your credit-card and a link is formed). Your phone gives out loads of information about your location etc.

I still have a flip-phone. Whew!

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I rarely use my card to buy anything with and don't own a phone.

Mind you, the rows I have had at airport security in non native English speaking countries when they can't comprehend I don't have one...?

2 hours ago, baboon said:

I rarely use my card to buy anything with and don't own a phone.

Mind you, the rows I have had at airport security in non native English speaking countries when they can't comprehend I don't have one...?

Likewise  ...  I prefer the freedom & anonymity of paying-in-cash !

The millenials would not believe it possible to still live free like this, but it can be done, if you try ! :tongue:

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

High tech measures will be introduced at the next election

Looks like North Korea Kim Jung-Un has a chance then to become the next PM.

His army of hackers called "Hidden Cobra" will surely be very interested in a Thai electronic election.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/14/us-issues-alert-north-korea-cyber-attack-hidden-cobra/

Smart cards sounds good, visiting people who did not understand which way to vote springs to mind.

If were only as simple as one vote per person in a cashless society, free and fair elections, what a novelty.

You mean the election will be 'high-tech', or the vote buying will? Oh well, anyway, some tech-savvy nerds will succeed in sabotaging it all on their keyboard... As there will no doubt be a lot of irregular software copies, possibly already virus-infected, used in the process, I don't keep my fingers crossed. Anyway, which year are we speaking about here? LOL