Meet the highway cop with a Thai heart of gold - using his own money to help motorists in distress

webfact

Meet the highway cop with a Thai heart of gold - using his own money to help motorists in distress

2pm.jpg

Picture: Workpoint TV

CHIANG MAI: -- Workpoint TV caught up with a Thai highway cop who they said has a true heart of gold.

For not only does he do his duties well with a smile, he also runs an emergency repair shop for motorists and bike riders who have nowhere to turn.

The news media said that many people these days have nothing but bad things to say about the highway cops - but Tossaphon Panyasu was bucking the trend.

He is a cop in the Mae Taeng area of Chiang Mai. He has used his own money to set up an emergency repair shop kitted out with 20 kinds of car tires, bike tires and crucial spare parts.

One sign says he will change rear lights that are malfunctioning for "the sake of life".

He also has a jerrycan of benzene handy for emergency top ups.

Most of the people he helps have nowhere else to go at night and would be stuck without his timely intervention.

Tossaphon said it has cost him 50,000 baht so far but he doesn't mind. He doesn't worry about the money - he just cares about the public.

And besides the smiles of the people are his reward, he doesn't need anything else.

Tossaphon proudly showed the media around. Two things in particular caught their attention - a lovely clean toilet for the public to use while they wait or if they are caught short and letters of appreciation from members of the public.

One was gushing in thanks for the kindly officer.

Yes, Thai-ness is alive and kicking in the golden heart of officer Tossaphon of the Chiang Mai highway police.

Source: Workpoint TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-18

I'm afraid this appears to me to be not as positive a story as it is meant to be.

He has laid out about 50,000 Bt. so far in being a good samartian. I assume most of the people he has helped would be Thai and it does not speak too well of them.....have they not shown their grattitude with more than a "thank you".

I know for sure if it were me on the receiving end of having been helped out in those awful circumstances, .......after rising up from kissing his feet, I would insist on him accepting componsation......as much as I could afford.

So who is looking after the public, the job he is paid to do, while he is being a part-time mechanic? He would have done better to arrange a rota of local repair shops available to be called out at night, like they do in every other country. Just as so many police officers do in this country, he is running a business instead of doing his job.

3 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

So who is looking after the public, the job he is paid to do, while he is being a part-time mechanic? He would have done better to arrange a rota of local repair shops available to be called out at night, like they do in every other country. Just as so many police officers do in this country, he is running a business instead of doing his job.

Oh ye of little faith......................

Good on the chap. But, please, do not put it down to "Thainess". He is simply a decent person with a desire to help others. There is absolutely no exclusivity to this based on nationality.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I'm afraid this appears to me to be not as positive a story as it is meant to be.

He has laid out about 50,000 Bt. so far in being a good samartian. I assume most of the people he has helped would be Thai and it does not speak too well of them.....have they not shown their grattitude with more than a "thank you".

I know for sure if it were me on the receiving end of having been helped out in those awful circumstances, .......after rising up from kissing his feet, I would insist on him accepting componsation......as much as I could afford.

I'm presuming you are a farang... who would I'm sure pay for any assistance, however when it comes to gratitude or compensation most Thais develop deep pockets and very short arms!

A quick inexpensive "wai" and off into the distance.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Good on the chap. But, please, do not put it down to "Thainess". He is simply a decent person with a desire to help others. There is absolutely no exclusivity to this based on nationality.

...almost a case of unThainess. Not sure "Thainess" is an apt description. The article suggests this is common place in Thailand but probably less common than a lot of other countries. Good on the cop if the article is accurate. A good worldy citizen worthy of praise. 

It is mai tamada. 

17 minutes ago, yooyoo said:

He should be the national  General in charge of all the highway cops on Thailand!  What a good man!!!

And he has a nice kindly, friendly looking face to go with it. Not like some of those evil looking mongrel senior officers you see so often in the PR photo shots.

So questionable about the truth of this.......... We never know..............

I say:-------- not very likely...................... But................. Let's imagine for a moment that it is all truth and not fiction..... THEN I say that this is THE MAN to be elected Thailand's NEXT Prime Minister........... If the present Army General ever permits a 'Democratic Election'...................

LOL (in this case------ LOTS OF LUCK).............

4 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

My first thought was that police officers must be earning a bit more than I thought, if this good samaritan can afford to give away 50000 baht and not be concerned about money.

What about all that tea money they collect? Anyway, how is a policeman allowed to be so overweight as he looks in that photo?

Hum, well. I am a bit sceptical. Since most Thais have this inbuilt survival instinct to make money when an opportunity arises... I mean i understand that in country where there is no social welfare system should you fall on hard times. Good on him if its true. But cops dont get much salary wise and to make ends meet they need to do something to supplement their income...

Edited by MaiChai

If he is a genuine caring person I Applaud him. The wolves in Thai society will

take advantage of him. Look out for the Orange robe mob he will be swamped

with Motorcys and trucks, with bold tyres and no fuel.

"One sign says he will change rear lights that are malfunctioning for "the sake of life".
Thais don't seem too worried about having no rear lights,in the dark,dark clothes,

for the sake of 20-30 Baht for a bulb,they are crazy,and if you ran into one ,who's

fault do you think it would be.

regards worgeordie

15 hours ago, dotpoom said:

For sure mate, a good deed deserves another I would definitely contribute to his little shop and it would be nice if other people did the same that he helped.

I reckon he's doing the right thing, so don't get me wrong, however, further investigation may find that's its a 'marketing' ploy to get people back to his workshop to have some 'paid' work done for more serious problems with their vehicles ? There's always a motive to these nice gestures in life, no matter what race or breed you are, rich or poor !

I'm a bit saddened by all the negativity that dominates this thread.

I've lived in Thailand for many years and if you want to hear my opinion of the RTP and Thai officialdom in general, I could really give yo an earful. But in my time here, I have also encountered many acts of kindness and generosity, from people in and out of uniform.

So please, let's be fair and take this exceptionally positive example at face value, in the absence of any clear evidence to the contrary!