Noisy motorbikes in Thailand.

I find the noisy motorbikes that have the muffler tweaked to create the loud roar bloody annoying. Why do the thai bogans have noisy bikes like this. It it a feeling of power. Some of them are incredibly loud and annoying. They should be banned in my opinion. 

Whinge is now over. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, i claudius said:

What more can you say? They are young and think it makes them look cool, i dont wish anyone hurt but my greatest joy is to see a motorbike crushed and useless at the side of the road.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are one sad individual.

I have the same with guys, sometimes farang, on Harley Davidson motorbikes. It's beyond me why their passion has to negatively affect everyone around them.

It's incredibly selfish if you think about it. 

I like loud bikes so now you guys have to suffer.

But one's a premeditated conscious choice.  The other one just slips out.

A tearaway, a rasper, a bubble and a sqeak, a wet one, a dry one, and one the doesn't speak,, which one do you prefer?..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ghworker2010 said:

Why do the Thai bogans have noisy bikes like this.

Bogans that new to me,  :biggrin: 

As said there young usually and the noisier the bike the faster it goes.  

l'm pretty sure couple of old guys in our village can't afford new exhaust boxes.

Thai road police in Suk don't seem to bother with loud bikes only road tax.

I think it's twofold; firstly, as the owners can't afford big bikes but can afford to make their bikes sound, in their view, more like them, they do and secondly to express themselves, their individuality i.e. the particular way they modify their machine.

All part of youthfulness but bloody annoying as you say.

5 hours ago, lust said:

Perhaps you snowflakes would be happier in your home countries. 

Unnecessary comment IMHO.   These noisy SOBs roar up and down the roads late at night, disturbing folk in hotels and condos along the way.

But at midnight there's not too much policing done, I'm sure.

Edited by masuk
typo

Only as irratating as some inconsiderate clown sitting behind you on a bus constantly yapping rather loudly on his mobile phone. Isnt that right mr farang at 0920 this am. I know your on here cos you never stopped bloody talking about "its all over thai visa and being refused entry) I say to you get a life sad man

5 hours ago, Bassosa said:

I have the same with guys, sometimes farang, on Harley Davidson motorbikes. It's beyond me why their passion has to negatively affect everyone around them.

It's incredibly selfish if you think about it. 

I like loud bikes so now you guys have to suffer.

I get the idea that it is a little safer having a noisy bike, from the point of view that people can hear you coming before they see you, but it is also very distracting. So others may have an accident looking around to see what all the noise is about. Rubber necking is know to cause accidents.

There is even a downside for the noise-maker, that his hearing is impaired, even obliterated, while riding the bike, so an important sense is lost to him. It also pisses off other road users and that is never a good idea.

When I first got my old NV400, it was very noisy and quite frankly I felt like a bit of a Richard Cranien riding around making all that noise. I was glad when I fixed it.

11 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Only as irratating as some inconsiderate clown sitting behind you on a bus constantly yapping rather loudly on his mobile phone. Isnt that right mr farang at 0920 this am. I know your on here cos you never stopped bloody talking about "its all over thai visa and being refused entry) I say to you get a life sad man

So what is this, a competition of who can be the most irritating?

Tony Blair still breathing..... that's my choice.....

5 hours ago, grollies said:

You are one sad individual.

No he is not, he is speaking for the majority of the people. I would love to

see all excessive noisy motorbikes crushed at the side of the road.

What makes the OP consider that it is only the Thai's that overcharge the dB on their bikes?

I have seen many farang tatooed, steroid charged boogans, compensating the the miniaturisation of their male attributes on oversized, overnoisy bikes....

Not a Thai issue, but plainly an issue of male lack of confidence$

No hard feelings to my biker pals here, please.....

When I was growing up this was very common for young men with cars or bikes to be out racing and making a lot of noise. But times changed and many countries became nanny states putting an end to this with vehicle inspections etc..

Yes and as I get older noise also becomes annoying, but until Thailand decides they want to enforce this law there will be young guys on their constant speed variable noise bikes.

I don't think Thailand recognises noise pollution as a "thing". Certainly, Thai people seem immune to it, mostly. 

You're never going to stop loud exhausts. They are exciting and give bikes that 'go faster' feel, especially if you can't afford a bike that goes faster! 

This is a regular thread. There was one like it a few months ago. It really does bring all the grumpy old men out! 

As I might have said in the last such thread, one is usually exposed to a loud exhaust sound for only a few seconds, as the offending vehicle goes by. 

I think it says a lot about what's going on in your heads if a few seconds of noise result in hours of complaining! 

Its the inexperience of youth. Not a Thai trait imho. Wifes young nephew made the new family Wave noisy. Change the quality Honda original rims for golden alloy ones. Now he spends all his time polishing those rims! Even took the chain mud guard off to make it look cool. Betime they pay the finance off on that bike it will be trashed; like all the other bikes they have had. To maintain face when the bike finance is finished they will get another one on finance. If you look after your stuff it tends to last a long time...

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I am neither Thai nor young but I am proud to be loud and btw... loud pipes safe lives !
You don't like it ? Leave

In the old days, when motorcycles were equipped with carburetors, it sometimes made sense to "open" the exhaust a little, and change the air filter to a paper one for better breathing. Then one could earn some extra horse powers. As those rides in most cases were long strokes, they could be ridden at very low rpms, to not to disturb people in populated areas, especially at night. But in those days, motorcycles were rare and not found around every corner like today. Today though, with all the electronics built in, it does not make sense to fumble with the exhaust, as the engine would not perform any better. Moreover the new bikes are short-strokes and are made to run at very high rpms. Then there is no sound, these bikes scream. I really hate this noise, though I can enjoy a distant thump of an old Harley or Norton Commando.

And how about "save" lives.