Has immigration changed at BKK

Hello All

I have been reading some posts on here and in other places regarding people been stopped at immigration and refused entry if they do not have 20000 in cash on them and have many Thailand stamps in their passports. I am planning on coming in August as I normally come to Thailand at least 2 or 3 times a year. I normally get my THB in Thailand as much better rate than in UK and I have plenty to cover the 20000. So my questions are as follows:

1) would I be best having the 20000 with me on arrival

2) Does it make a difference if I have a 60 day Visa as I was planning on getting one as I want to stay 6 weeks or so

3) Would I be better staying just the 30 days instead of the 60 day visa

Thanks in advance for all information

Thanks Joe, I will have GBP1000 so that should suffice. I normally change at Super Rich at the airport as get better rate. I will go to Thai Consulate in Hull and get a 60 day visa which I think will be better. You are always quick to respond and knowledgeable in all areas.

Thanks again

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peterg59 said:

Thanks Joe, I will have GBP1000 so that should suffice. I normally change at Super Rich at the airport as get better rate. I will go to Thai Consulate in Hull and get a 60 day visa which I think will be better. You are always quick to respond and knowledgeable in all areas.

Thanks again

@Peterg59 Unless Hull is convenient to you, the Embassy in London is very efficient at issuing SETV . I've used them for the past 2 years. Get it in the post on Monday and usually back Thursday or Friday. Of course you do have to pay for Special Delivery both ways but depending upon where you live in UK, that may offset your petrol costs and time.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2017 at 11:48 AM, Peterg59 said:

1) would I be best having the 20000 with me on arrival

2) Does it make a difference if I have a 60 day Visa as I was planning on getting one as I want to stay 6 weeks or so

3) Would I be better staying just the 30 days instead of the 60 day visa

Thanks in advance for all information

1) Yes, exchange the money before you enter Thailand. 

2) No. You can enter Thailand and receive 30 days upon arrival with the ability to extend for another 30 - this gives your 60 days. 

3) If you are staying for 6 weeks or 42 days, then it doesn't really matter. You'll still need a return ticket either way depending on the country of reside. 

Edited by Shroud

Just now, Shroud said:

1) Yes, exchange the money before you enter Thailand. 

2) No. You can enter Thailand and receive 30 days upon arrival with the ability to extend for another 30 - this gives your 60 days. 

3) If you are staying for 6 weeks or 42 days, then it doesn't really matter. You'll still need a return ticket either way. 

1. Why

Any exchangeable currency equivalent to 20k baht will be accepted,

2. Tourist visa is best, No need to get an extension and it is best not build up a record of visa exempt entries.

3. But for a visa exempt entry he would one out of the country within 30 days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Why

2. Tourist visa is best, No need to get an extension and it is best not build up a record of visa exempt entries.

He won't be able to convert foreign cash into baht before he enters immigration. That's why he asked for brining 20,000 baht in the first place. Of course the rate is better received in Thailand (at some places), but his question was more leaned toward up fronting 20k should immigration ask for it. 

3. More or less depending on if he stays near the border instead of spending 1900. 

Edited by Shroud

6 hours ago, perthperson said:

Very bad advice ---- A better rate of exchange can be obtained in Thailand and any convertible currency is acceptable to immigration.

It's actually the best advice you can provide nowadays, and once immigration stops you with no cash-baht in your pockets because there won't be any ATM that will withdraw and convert your foreign reserves past immigration. I understood the question as if he was concerned about the issue of parading 20k on the assumption that immigration throws the towel on him.

4 hours ago, Shroud said:

He won't be able to convert foreign cash into baht before he enters immigration. That's why he asked for brining 20,000 baht in the first place. Of course the rate is better received in Thailand (at some places), but his question was more leaned toward up fronting 20k should immigration ask for it. 

He has the option of changing major convertible currencies into baht during the walk to immigration on arrival (though I consider it a bad idea). While no ATMs exist prior to immigration for arriving passengers, there are exchange booths offering inferior rates.

5 hours ago, Shroud said:

It's actually the best advice you can provide nowadays, and once immigration stops you with no cash-baht in your pockets because there won't be any ATM that will withdraw and convert your foreign reserves past immigration. I understood the question as if he was concerned about the issue of parading 20k on the assumption that immigration throws the towel on him.

I don't think you read Ubon Joe's post (#9 in this thread).  Any convertible currency will be accepted.  It does not have to be baht.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Why

1. Previous posts have already said it is Baht that is apparently required whether that is stupid or not

2. Previous holders of tourist visas have been denied entry so why is it best if he only visits 2 to 3 times a year totalling less than 180 days? 

Seems to me a lot of evidence is piling up that the nice old assumption that worked before don't work anymore. 

8 hours ago, Shroud said:

He won't be able to convert foreign cash into baht before he enters immigration

If in the event that somebody is required to convert foreign cash in to Thai Baht, then it is possible prior to Immigration at Suvarnabhumi, as there are exchange booths available and the rate, although possibly a little lower than after Immigration, will be a lot better than converting outside of Thailand.

7 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

I don't think you read Ubon Joe's post (#9 in this thread).  Any convertible currency will be accepted.  It does not have to be baht.

I have seen it, but I honestly wouldn't even risk that these days. Jeez, they won't even look at your bank account or have the officer go to the ATM machine with you to withdraw cash. Now the former is questionable, but for the safest bet I would rather bring with me 20k baht. 

15 hours ago, Shroud said:

3. More or less depending on if he stays near the border instead of spending 1900. 

You have misunderstood the cash requirement. It is 20,000 Baht or equivalent amount in any major currency. 

The requirement has has never been limited to Baht.

• Like 1

I saw an article earlier quoting the Thai tourism minister saying that it does not really apply to " genuine tourists" but people who are constantly crossing land borders and may be working illegally so I think I should be alright. I prefer to change my money in Thailand as I get a much better rate at Super Rich. The exchange is bad enough in UK at moment some places giving 41 to the pound. Long gone are the days of getting 70 :sad: 

IF you do not want to carry cash, but use an ATM after entering, an alternative is to bring travelers cheques (worth 20,000 baht but in your local currency) but keep them as a last resort. It is possible from some banks in UK to get Sterling travelers cheques without any fee, and if you do not use them just pay them back in when you return. I used to bring some travellers cheques, but stopped using them as banks in Thailand charge extortionate fees since 3 years ago. But as someone on annual extensions i do not need cash for immigration entry now.

• Like 1