2 Year 1st Driving License for Motorcycle expired last Mnt ; If apply this Mnt, can still get 5 Year License ?

Dear Fellow Thaivisa.com posters,

As I am a Falang here recently on Non-Immigrant Visa O Visa, & since then on Extension of Stay for Retirement Purposes [ expires in December this year ].

I just noticed that my 2 years duration Driving License for Motorcycle [ 1st license ] expired last month.

If I apply this month, will Land & Transport Office, Banglamuang, Chonburi still allow me to get full [ 5 year duration ] Driving License for Motorcycle ?

Much thanks in advance for all ur helpful replies,

Our Man in the Tropics

go now and you will get almost 6 year extension - until your next birthday + 5 years

thats why smart people go the 1st day after expire date - if before only 5 years

Edited by MrJ

Some confusing posts.

1) You can apply for the 5yr license up to 3 months before expiry (not your case).

2) You can apply up to one year after expiry without additional effort/penalty.

14 hours ago, MrJ said:

go now and you will get almost 6 year extension - until your next birthday + 5 years

thats why smart people go the 1st day after expire date - if before only 5 years

The temporary license is valid exactly 2 years from date of application/test and not up to your birthday.

So it depends when the poster did his temporary and when his birthday is.

38 minutes ago, swoods58 said:

Believe it or not but the requirement is that it must be expired.

No.

14 minutes ago, nasanews said:

You have expired two years motorbike driving licence why would expect you will get five years driving licence?

Because it's the law/rules.

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some confusing posts.

1) You can apply for the 5yr license up to 3 months before expiry (not your case).

2) You can apply up to one year after expiry without additional effort/penalty.

The temporary license is valid exactly 2 years from date of application/test and not up to your birthday.

So it depends when the poster did his temporary and when his birthday is.

No.

Because it's the law/rules.

1) being within 90 days of expiry date...91 days and before is a no-go at Chiang Mai Land Transport Office 

Edited by morpho

On 7/20/2017 at 11:36 AM, nasanews said:

You have expired two years motorbike driving licence why would expect you will get five years driving licence?

Everyone gets a 2 year first license, if on a one year visa or extension of you get a 5 year one on renewal..

Since I started this thread, I looked exhaustively at a Thaivisa.com thread that offered itself up on side of window about particular original poster's experience renewing  2 x 5 year driving licenses in Chiang Mai; motorcycle, & car

Or something like that, because there were close to 300 posts in that thread, & practically all of them very constructive, & I focused on finding sub-questions & answers thereof on the substance of my own original post above.

And, there were many.

However, they were split -- almost 50 : 50 -- on whether if applicant is late, by some weeks to 1 year or so, in reapplying from 1 or 2 year Driving License basis, for the next Driving License, "will applicant if successful with documents & tests GET 5 YEAR LICENSE.

Well, I believe that there is still merit in welcoming as many helpfully intentioned replies as possible -- even if they contradict each other -- because info. is info. ; It is all good ; There is at least something of worthiness in any such reply.

It will help me regardless.

I am delayed in going to Banglamuang currently ;

But, am aiming to go very soon.

And now, it has dawned on me to also ask ;

IS THE 5 YEAR DRIVING LICENSE A "FULL" DRIVING LICENSE ?

2 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Since I started this thread, I looked exhaustively at a Thaivisa.com thread that offered itself up on side of window about particular original poster's experience renewing  2 x 5 year driving licenses in Chiang Mai; motorcycle, & car

Or something like that, because there were close to 300 posts in that thread, & practically all of them very constructive, & I focused on finding sub-questions & answers thereof on the substance of my own original post above.

And, there were many.

However, they were split -- almost 50 : 50 -- on whether if applicant is late, by some weeks to 1 year or so, in reapplying from 1 or 2 year Driving License basis, for the next Driving License, "will applicant if successful with documents & tests GET 5 YEAR LICENSE.

Well, I believe that there is still merit in welcoming as many helpfully intentioned replies as possible -- even if they contradict each other -- because info. is info. ; It is all good ; There is at least something of worthiness in any such reply.

It will help me regardless.

I am delayed in going to Banglamuang currently ;

But, am aiming to go very soon.

Yes...

31 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

As above: yes.

Nowadays there is no better than a "5yr" license.

In the past there were lifelong licenses (some in the family have).

But that's "long" gone.

The "5yr" term is a colloquial term anyway.

They could change the rule anytime and then we need another term as with the widespread "1yr" which isn't a 1yr anymore.

But in this case the license shows what to use: "temporary".

"full", "standard", "regular"?

I don't even know the Thai wording for such a regular DL.

Hmm. In hindsight, I believe the old one year temporary licence had to be expired before you got the five year one. Maybe they changed it when they introduced the 2 year temporary.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk