Travel cheques accepted for the required 20k baht?

49 minutes ago, Nip said:

With all due respect I suggest all of this is a storm in a nut sack. This week I passed through Bangkok immigration on a 1 way ticket from Europe. I was not asked to provide any evidence other than my passport. No request for proof of 20K Baht. I was dressed casually was of a sober and respectful disposition and greeted with a smile. However if I was drunk, in flip flops, shorts, a wife beater tee shirt, my face and body adorned in tattoos with a passport awash with tourist visa stamps I would expect to be questioned.

it is not being done across the board. good idea to be prepared.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nip said:

With all due respect I suggest all of this is a storm in a nut sack. This week I passed through Bangkok immigration on a 1 way ticket from Europe. I was not asked to provide any evidence other than my passport. No request for proof of 20K Baht. I was dressed casually was of a sober and respectful disposition and greeted with a smile. However if I was drunk, in flip flops, shorts, a wife beater tee shirt, my face and body adorned in tattoos with a passport awash with tourist visa stamps I would expect to be questioned.

i suggest it is a bit more serious than that; being denied entry is no trivial matter; who knows, it might put you on a black or brown list; how one is adorned is right in line with : 'at the discretion of the immigration officer'; that means it is a crap shoot

i suggest it is a bit more serious than that; being denied entry is no trivial matter; who knows, it might put you on a black or brown list; how one is adorned is right in line with : 'at the discretion of the immigration officer'; that means it is a crap shoot

I often wear shorts and flip flops passing through bkk. So you think I should be targeted as disrespectful? 55..uhmm. No!
  • Like 1

"I often wear shorts and flip flops passing through bkk. So you think I should be targeted as disrespectful?"

Yes, you are showing disrespect towards the country you are entering - -and to its people and their culture. The Immigration service at the airport is no different from the immigration service elsewhere: appropriate dress is expected.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, perthperson said:

I last used travellers cheques on a Bali holiday with two small kids in 1986. The travellers cheques were American Express issued by Westpac Bank in Australia.

My mate told me "never cash the cheques at the hotel...they will rip  you off" Exchange rate thing

So off we go..me..the missus and two little kids....first time in Asia...3 kilometre walk....".Dad you said always cross a the crossing "not here my darling"........shut up...hold mums hand..run!!!

We get to the bank.."sorry American Express cheques no good".  I nearly died.

Apparently there was some issue , a robbery or fraud or something associated with Amex and they wouldn't touch them.

Back to the hotel...crossing roads etc etc.

Cashed the cheques at the hotel...exchange rate difference sweet bugger all in the scheme of things....maybe half a cent difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I'm sure they do....but can I still walk into a hotel and hand them over as payment? I really don't know these days.

I could cash them in in a pub in the UK in 1988 and get change....did the same in the US in a bank in 2001 (the unfortunately named  the First Union bank in Philly,locally known as the <deleted> bank)....can this still be done widely  these days?

12 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I'm sure they do....but can I still walk into a hotel and hand them over as payment? I really don't know these days.

I could cash them in in a pub in the UK in 1988 and get change....did the same in the US in a bank in 2001 (the unfortunately named  the First Union bank in Philly,locally known as the <deleted> bank)....can this still be done widely  these days?

I don't know. I was just answering your question about them being issued.

I cannot exactly remember when I last used them. Perhaps back in the 80's when I had a problem cashing them in some country at a bank (Venezuela comes to mind).

5 hours ago, Nip said:

....yes....dream on:coffee1:

9 minutes ago, William Hartnell said:

We are coming on an extended holiday to the Chang Rai region for around six weeks.  We will bring with us a variety of currencies but mainly Euros. About 10,000 baht and 10,,000 Euros in total.

in all of our years of travelling we have never been asked to show how much money we had on us. We declare how much we have and that seems to work.

I always thought that countries wanted you to bring in foreign currency rather than their local one. Has this now changed in Thailand?

There is absolutely NO requirement for you to bring other than exchangeable currency -- Euros are fine - 

Just now, landslide said:

I haven't used travelers Checks in decades, but did notice the rate of exchange is slightly lower at the currency exchange booths I use to exchange cash.

Travellers cheques have always been a relatively expensive means of acquiring cash. Most places charge a commission to handle them

• Like 1

Travelers Checks have exactly 2 purposes that I can think of:

1. Money that can be lost or stolen, and you can get the money back.  (nowadays, you'd just pay with plastic, or get as much as you need from an ATM, so not lose too much at a time)
  2. Entering Thailand and needing to "show cash" to enter, without carrying cash, which could be lost or stolen without recourse (see #1).

Maybe also useful in Myanmar a few years ago, before they finally got ATMs. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I don't know about Tr.Chqs Not many ppl use cash luncheon vouchers anymore. Throughout all my years of going in and out using a TV I was never asked, after a multi entry O visa again never asked for evidence. I do understand why they enforce the rule to monitor the illegal workers, not even sure if immigration would accept TC's

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, Nip said:

With all due respect, no one is claiming that everyone is being asked to show the B20K.   No one is claiming that most are being asked.   No one is even claiming that many are being asked.  So one person saying he wasn't asked means absolutely nothing, and it's beyond absurd to suggest that only those "drunk, in flip flops, shorts, a wife beater tee shirt, my face and body adorned in tattoos with a passport awash with tourist visa stamps" are being asked.   Obviously, a one-time/first-time arrival is not likely to be asked (but actually SHOULD be as they're just as likely, if not even more likely, to constitute the financial "risk" the B20K check supposedly addresses!).

I am pretty sure you would have some delays and there would be questions if instead of cash, you presented traveler's cheques.  The low level immigration officer would call over the supervisor, etc. etc.  From their point of view, the check is just a piece of paper.  How do they know it is valid, and not a fake or a forgery?  If they do let you pass, you would have some problems cashing them.  I can't speak to any direct experience, but as a tourist and walking into a Thai bank that you do not have an account with and trying to cash a check I would bet would not be fast and easy.    A few banks or branches may be check-wise and make some calls and check serial numbers of the checks, who knows.  One thing another poster wrote is that the checks can be a reasonably secure way of bringing lots of money with you.  If stolen or lost, they can be replaced.  I recall that one of the companies I banked with even said they would Fedex replacements withing a day or two.  So from a security point of view, they have some benefits.  From a utility point of view, I have my doubts.  Most any bank or institutions have ways you can wire or transfer money pretty quickly.

Regarding Traveller's Checks- I have used them for decades- never a problem cashing them

1.  Always used American Express- $50 and $100 Denominations as they get the best exchange rate. When purchasing the checks you get a separate receipt with the denominations and the check number listed and stamped by your bank of issuance. If anyone doubted whether the checks were legit- the receipt is shown.  (They can be bought in Aussie and Canadian Dollars; British Pounds and Euros as well as American Dollars)

2.  I usually cash the checks at a bank. The banks or exchange counters on the street call a special number to verify the checks have not been stolen or fraudulent and mark a code on each check they cash. Every now and then they ask to see the original receipt. The only kicker is that a fee of 153 Baht is assessed for each check (It used to be 33 Baht per  check) so if you are cashing 5 checks the fee is 153 Baht x 5. The exchange rate is about 20-30 Satang batter than cash but then the fees obviate much gain unless one is cashing many thousands)

3.   I would agree with Ubon Joe that the Immigration would accept them as they are easily cashed and are almost the same as cash. If there was any doubt- the separate receipt would be asked for.

Edited by Thaidream
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

With all due respect, no one is claiming that everyone is being asked to show the B20K.   No one is claiming that most are being asked.   No one is even claiming that many are being asked.  So one person saying he wasn't asked means absolutely nothing, and it's beyond absurd to suggest that only those "drunk, in flip flops, shorts, a wife beater tee shirt, my face and body adorned in tattoos with a passport awash with tourist visa stamps" are being asked.   Obviously, a one-time/first-time arrival is not likely to be asked (but actually SHOULD be as they're just as likely, if not even more likely, to constitute the financial "risk" the B20K check supposedly addresses!).

Ok I'll make it easy for you. Look act and dress like a tosser with a passport festooned with immigration stamps and the likelihood is you will be stoped and questioned. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they will be accepted. Travelers checks are equal to having the cash.

My experience is that banks don't really want to cash them. When they started charging 150THB per check (max check is $100 so that is around 5% plus the % you are charged when purchasing them) I stopped using them. Don't know if they are charging more now or not.

• Like 1

I used travellers cheques up until about 3 years ago, when i wanted to bring in a substantial sum. In the UK i can get pounds Sterling Travellers cheques from my bank for no fee, so it was sensible thing to do. Used to get TT rate minus 0.25% fee in Thailand, although cashing them was tedious, never had a problem. However, about 3-4 years ago started charging me  150 baht a cheque, so this was non-trivial. When i complained, they told me fee was going up next month ..... so i took most back to UK and paid back into my account. Since then i haven't bothered and just get my money from an ATM or rarely bank transfer as don't need to show cash on an extension.

You could use travelers cheques to meet immigration requirements without any intention to cash them (if you can get for free) and pay back into your home account on return. I think one source of confusion is many sources state "Must show funds equal to 20,000 baht or equivalent for tourist visa" without actually specifying cash. I always read upon the rules, and when i used to come on tourist visa or visa exemption I thought my card was adequate proof - certainly 8 years ago it was not an issue. 

This insanity could be prevented by having an ATM on the concourse just before immigration, would certainly be a money spinner.