The Nation Newspaper

billaaa777

One idividual survived the excecutions of 1916 simply because he

held a US passport.

Any way KAYO and TELETGER enjoy your coffe and cookies.

Jing Jing keep posting.

I'm cracking another Chang.

:D

Jeees,

Yesterday, bombs in Bangkok, the Irish are to blame,

Today, the Nation's editorial, de Valera's to blame.

As there are two MOD's watching and I am quite rightly on a warning, I'll better see if there is any tea available.

Dave, has Robski picked up them tea bags yet, otherwise I'll be in for them. :o

Good Luck

Moss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lamphun, since you asked for The Nations "quotes" I will start putting them here each time I read more of there nonsense.

Instead of answering your points I'd prefer to ask you to provide links, "quotes" etc to support your undisputable opinions. Then I may take the opportunity to comment on "your" intelligence.
You would be kidding yourself if you believe in the power of the people or democracy for the people at this stage of Thailand's political development. Coups may destroy democracy but the electoral process does not guarantee democracy either

Thanong Khanthong

The Nation

If he is not advocating elections, please inform me what his intentions are? Elections are the cornerstone of the democratic society. They go hand in hand with checks and balances.

The opposition to Thaksin prior to the coup time after time was able to arrange mass street demonstrations in Bangkok, gathering support from hundreds of thousands of Thai citizens. And when elections were called, what did they do? Refused to participate like the cowards they are!

They developed a super strong loyal base of avid supporters, which they could have utilized to raise billions of baht and start get out the vote campaigns. They had a real chance to win the election, but instead they choose to sit on the side lines and refuse to participate. And look where we at now.

And I don’t think there can be any doubt that this columnist is surly not supporting elections or democracy as the rest of the world knows it. Especially, if you read all his columns. If he is not supporting democracy, then please tell exactly what he is promoting?

Is this good enough lamphum, or do I need more?

lamphun, since you asked for The Nations "quotes" I will start putting them here each time I read more of there nonsense.
Instead of answering your points I'd prefer to ask you to provide links, "quotes" etc to support your undisputable opinions. Then I may take the opportunity to comment on "your" intelligence.
You would be kidding yourself if you believe in the power of the people or democracy for the people at this stage of Thailand's political development. Coups may destroy democracy but the electoral process does not guarantee democracy either

Thanong Khanthong

The Nation

If he is not advocating elections, please inform me what his intentions are? Elections are the cornerstone of the democratic society. They go hand in hand with checks and balances.

The opposition to Thaksin prior to the coup time after time was able to arrange mass street demonstrations in Bangkok, gathering support from hundreds of thousands of Thai citizens. And when elections were called, what did they do? Refused to participate like the cowards they are!

They developed a super strong loyal base of avid supporters, which they could have utilized to raise billions of baht and start get out the vote campaigns. They had a real chance to win the election, but instead they choose to sit on the side lines and refuse to participate. And look where we at now.

And I don’t think there can be any doubt that this columnist is surly not supporting elections or democracy as the rest of the world knows it. Especially, if you read all his columns. If he is not supporting democracy, then please tell exactly what he is promoting?

Thanong is a democrat, he knows like every educated Thai knows that without independent checks and balances democracy in Thailand is a sham.

Did you know about Thaksin's attempts to buy up the shares of Matichon and the Bangkok Post through his buddy Paiboon, the head of Grammy or the shares of The Nation through his TRT secretary- general Suriya?

To get on topic. The Nation frequently goes through revamps to distinguish itself from The Bangkok Post, it knows it can't compete regarding resources, number of journalists employed, so with its new printing presses a few years ago it decided to go for the big colour photos,sensationalising headlines, lifestyle yuppie section aimed at the youngish affluent reader, Thai and foreigner; the aim to provide a 'lifestyle paper' clearly different from the more staid Bangkok Post.

Personally I preferred the old look but as they've kept all the regular columnists it's still worth reading.

To say they are only anti Thaksin is to see only part of the picture,Thai politics has only been Thaksin for the last 5 years.

I remember when they ran several critical articles on Sonti Limtongkun's business dealings, indeed the business section in my view far outrivals The Bangkok Post's, it has more interesting and varied articles and a much more attractive layout.

Thanong, the journalist quoted by the previous poster, was the editor of the business section for years.

Thanong Khanthong

The Nation

I asked you for links to back up your wild opinions which you claimed were undisputable "facts". I'm still waiting.

In the case of the quote above I defer and agree with the previous poster Siripon who made a cogent reply which I won't duplicate.

• 10 months later...

Thanong Khanthong

The Nation

I asked you for links to back up your wild opinions which you claimed were undisputable "facts". I'm still waiting.

In the case of the quote above I defer and agree with the previous poster Siripon who made a cogent reply which I won't duplicate.

Did I miss it? The Post reported this morning that the AEC has concluded that ..."the CNS had violated the law in failing to maintain its neutrality as a state agency." And that "It had also breached the 2007 constitution by issuing the order." (the order in question being the document that Samak revealed indicating a systematic meddling in politics to discredit the PPP.)

But nothing in the Nation? And certainly nothing in the News forum on Thaivisa. Or, unless Thaksin can be shown to be responsible, is it not newsworthy? (It was certainly newsworthy when the innuendos were floating around that the documents were the handiwork of the PPP in order to discredit the CNS).

Or did I just miss it?