my wife wont believe me

buffallobill

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/23/2017 at 6:16 AM, mstevens said:

Most Thais trust other Thais over foreigners, irrespective of whether that Thai person is a family member, the somtam lady or the bus conductor.

Gee, why don't you just make a blanket statement or did you run out of manure.

38 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

So, it always strikes me as funny when the foreigners who can barely order food, nor hold a basic conversation in Thai language,  start calling Thai people stup

Please read my post and see what it actually says, not what you'd like it to say.No mention of gender , age or race or physical location. I'm not responsible for imaginings bubbling into your conscious mind.

Gee, why don't you just make a blanket statement or did you run out of manure.

If Thais believe you or not depends on the credibility that you have. In the gym i am certainly far more likely to be believed then the som tam lady. When its about cars im sure even the som tam lady has more credibility (with good reason too)

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

If Thais believe you or not depends on the credibility that you have. In the gym i am certainly far more likely to be believed then the som tam lady. When its about cars im sure even the som tam lady has more credibility (with good reason too)

And don't you agree if Thais are talking about happenings in the UK they may seek the opinion of someone from the UK.  I know my Thai friends would.

And don't you agree if Thais are talking about happenings in the UK they may seek the opinion of someone from the UK.  I know my Thai friends would.

The Thais i know would also seek the opinion of those from the UK in those circumstances. I think it really depends on who you hang out with. Because obviously some Thais act the way that is reported here. But certainly not those i know.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Are you saying putting future cash payment on ones death fixes all...?

You bet it does .... erases any remnant of doubt and eases the path of bliss . . .  but only for those morally imbued  with fidelity 

5 hours ago, biggles45 said:

OP, did you write the will in Thailand or in the UK? Is a will made in Thailand accepted by an english court, assuming it is translated? 

I can understand how your wife could inherit your assets in Thailand from a Thai will but I am unclear how she would be expected to access assets in the UK, would she have to go there to lodge the will, death certificate etc. This is a very important issue for many of us here and I am surprised that the posts are concentrating on the "believe" angle and not the substance of your problem. 

Maybe the Aunt is thinking of the same issues that I have raised?

My will was made in the UK, and my sister is the excecutor, and knows that if I die to sort out my assets and arange for them to be given to my wife. I went to my local registry office today in England, to confirm (what I already knew) that my marriage is legal in UK, as its legal in Thailand. I told My wife, and it seems she is starting to believe me :)

On 07/23/2017 at 8:53 AM, colinneil said:

Your missing the point, i have a fantastic marriage, but my point is no matter what a farang says a Thai is always believed before the farang.

Not only my wife, but every Thai lady married to a farang is the same

Spot on. When it comes to arguing about it, shut up and go on doing what you want. She will either come around to believing or find the Will. Keep your head down and don't argue.

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

I got married inthe Ampur office in Khon Kaen and it was legal in New Zealand. But we also got married in New Zealand four months later. Your marrage in Thailand is not legal in Thailand if you get a village marrage or any where else.

I asked my local registry office if we could get married in England, they said we cant as we legaly married in a Thai Ampur

Haven't read all the posts but can answer the question as I stupidly got married and took her to the UK - you need to get a 'freedom to marry' declaration from the UK embassy then you can go to the amphur in bangkok and as long as it is legal in Thailand ie won't certificate forms with witnesses etc it is legal in the UK the trouble only starts though once it is legal! I would just go for an unrecognised village wedding if you are still together in a couple more years then do it prooerly -

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

My will was made in the UK, and my sister is the excecutor, and knows that if I die to sort out my assets and arange for them to be given to my wife. I went to my local registry office today in England, to confirm (what I already knew) that my marriage is legal in UK, as its legal in Thailand. I told My wife, and it seems she is starting to believe me :)

Fine then that covers you in England but if you want anything in Thailand willed to your wife  get a Thai will drawn up to cover the asssets here.

Things to watch out for
1) Excessive phone usage
2) A new found liking of dangerous sports
3) Her aunts cooking - always share and make sure she eats first
4) Always wanting a 10th floor hotel room especially so if she is actually scared of heights
5) Introduction to any new brothers, cousins or uncle's you never knew existed

Apologies for the cynicism

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

44 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

I'm not sure that having her (and the family) believe she (or they) get a buttload of money if you die is a good thing.

You may want to pay attention when you visit the family to see if they have any new car brochures or architect plans laying about.  She may love ya like the dickens, but someone in her family loves money more.

1 hour ago, sandemara said:

Please read my post and see what it actually says, not what you'd like it to say.No mention of gender , age or race or physical location. I'm not responsible for imaginings bubbling into your conscious mind.

If I turned around your meaning, I apologize  - - just tired of Thai people being called stupid, often, by the culturally inept... 

1 hour ago, Been there done that said:

Correct. I wonder though if their opinions would change if they could speak the lingo.

It goes beyond speaking the language, and it helps to keep an open mind to the culture and different ways. Sometimes there is genuine logic behind what people sometimes joke about here as Thai logic. You have to start with an understanding that there is a different set of values and some of the things important here are not the same as what is important back home. Once you establish that - then there is a different logic to reaching that ultimate issue of value. 

I have seen and heard explanations of things that would never fly in the West, but here, they make perfect sense. I have surely learned to take my time, listen and give some thought to what I see and hear. It is not always my way, but I live in Thailand and do not try to replicate the values of my home country. I find it all a fascinating learning experience. 

And yes, learning the language helps and I would like to think that for most, having some knowledge and understanding would be a better place to make opinions from. So, I would hope so??? But, I am not sure how many expats here are too steeped in their own ways?? 

1 hour ago, Been there done that said:

In a class society where, education is crap, degrees can be bought, morals are absent as is empathy, discrimination is prevalent and freedom of expression is not appreciated, one wonders why it should be any different then as stated by OP.

Was just reading through some of this thread and spacing out a bit... It sounded to me as if you were talking about my home country, USA... though I guess my home country is here now. 

Actually Bill your wife has a point.

Persons including foreigners who have assets in Thailand will require a will that conforms to Thai law.  Even if one has a will in his/her home country that lists their foreign assets, the will may not be valid in Thailand.  A will that does not conform to Thai law will not be valid in Thailand and therefore a deceased’s estate would pass according the law of intestacy (without a will), rather than the specific instructions provided by the deceased in an invalid will. As a practical matter in litigation, wills become contested.  A will drafted in Thailand by a Thai law firm, witnessed by Thai persons, will have a better chance of sustaining objections to its validity in a contested court case.

I have a UK Will dividing my assets between my UK family and my Thai wife.

My UK solicitor advised me to make another Will in Thailand, where my Thai assets are left to my Thai wife and the UK assets as depicted in my UK Will as well. Both Wills mention the other and the contents thereof.

On 23/07/2017 at 8:03 AM, tomwct said:

You're still in a learning curve. You will always, always be number two in your marriage. Thai's take care of their family first. Second, your only married two years and she's already thinking about your demise? I think you need to take a real hard look at who your married too and don't have any children. They would be another problem for you. Don't buy any houses or assets in your wife's name because you'll lose all of them. I've been in a rented a home for 14 years and will probably be here 14 years from now. My wife has a home, but not interested in living in it. My home is much nicer and she can't kick me out of the house although I doubt she would because she does not need material things like most Thai's. She will get a pension of about US $1000 after I'm gone in 20-25 years and probably much more.She's very happy and not GREEDY!

And if I may ask how much have you spend on the rent over the last 14 years? Most properties have a 10 to 14 year breakeven point, meaning that after paying rent for 10 years you have paid an amount equal to the purchase price of that property. Talking about penny wise pound foolish.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

The Thais i know would also seek the opinion of those from the UK in those circumstances. I think it really depends on who you hang out with. Because obviously some Thais act the way that is reported here. But certainly not those i know.

Some Thais may not speak any other language or have anyone from another country in whom they can confide--but that should not make anyone with some smarts to only believe Thais.

It's very sad to read the rubbish spouted by some well worn expats and I note the usual mugs contributing to this thread and tomwct what a load of cods wallop you have accumulated in your narrow mind, advice is not your strong suit.

Beggars belief.

52 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

It's very sad to read the rubbish spouted by some well worn expats and I note the usual mugs contributing to this thread and tomwct what a load of cods wallop you have accumulated in your narrow mind, advice is not your strong suit.

Beggars belief.

With your post the list of mugs, who commented on this thread, is now complete :post-4641-1156694572:

Looks like you married the wrong family....

Change your will. Make a trust so your money is safe if you have kids.

If you have bought a house just leave her that unless things change (which they will not).

This lot are only interested in your money.

Stay married if you want but you are looking at years of abuse ahead.

No Kids? Get out quick!

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Silly comment to make, take my case.

If i was single what the hell would i do???

Get shoved in a care home, and left on my bed until i died.

agree your comment is silly, i am sure your wife would be very happy to know the reason why you married her. you should of married a carer or a maid.:sorry:

Archived