my wife wont believe me

buffallobill

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The original post stated that the aunt had said the marriage wasn't valid outside Thailand and my response is based on that. The stuff about the will followed on from that. So I stand by what I wrote - the aunt is misinformed and will certainly not be corrected by anyone, let alone a foreigner.

Splitting hairs a little --- the marriage is valid everywhere how ever the op stated he had a will which gives everything to his wife. The aunt is correct and OP is wrong as a Thai will is not valid for GB assets and his wife would get none of GB assets that he wishes her to have.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

You can search Google or PM me and I will give you links but the aunty is partly right. Although your marriage is valid in every country your will is not.  Thai will " only" covers assets in Thailand .    If you have any assets in the U.K. you need a UK Last Will and Testament too. The Thai will only covers Thailand. 

that's why it is highly advisable to establish a will in every jurisdiction where you have assets and this (quite important) in the language of that jurisdiction to avoid a potential lengthy probate.

41 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sorry but i cant understand why you said that.

I have a fantastic wife, yes she takes care of everything for me, and i mean everything.

As i am paraplegic, i cannot wash, clean myself, i need assistance for most things, she is always there 24/7, never complains

always smiling, stop i do that she is always saying, now tell me she is not a fantastic wife.

Only thing that is a problem, whatever a Thai says is correct, farangs are always wrong, every Thai thinks like that.

Hey Colin, take no heed of these negative posters, ignorance, stupidity and a pretty poor outlook on life in general is not going to  make their  personas any summery.....

They have the intellectual abilities but lack emotional sincerity. 

Life is too short and far too much fun to waste on irrelevancies and time wasters whose apparent sole purpose in life is to spread their misery to others. 

44 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sorry but i cant understand why you said that.

I have a fantastic wife, yes she takes care of everything for me, and i mean everything.

As i am paraplegic, i cannot wash, clean myself, i need assistance for most things, she is always there 24/7, never complains

always smiling, stop i do that she is always saying, now tell me she is not a fantastic wife.

Only thing that is a problem, whatever a Thai says is correct, farangs are always wrong, every Thai thinks like that.

reading your explanation i have no doubts that you have a fantastic wife and that the little flaw "auntie knows better" is irrelevant. but because she is fantastic you should do each and everything to make sure that she gets what she is, according to your will, entitled to.

27 minutes ago, catman20 said:

cant see why you lot would bother with the marriage thing if this is the case .

Silly comment to make, take my case.

If i was single what the hell would i do???

Get shoved in a care home, and left on my bed until i died.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:53 AM, colinneil said:

Your missing the point, i have a fantastic marriage, but my point is no matter what a farang says a Thai is always believed before the farang.

Not only my wife, but every Thai lady married to a farang is the same

Have a Thai who is somewhat amused by a lot of what has been expressed here.

Understandable is your wife's desire to secure her future. Still must be rather frustrating to find out that your depth of feeling and support  is not sufficient to counter the unfounded 'wisdom' of her aunt.

The family hierarchy/matriarchy  and mindset in Thailand from observation, is hard to alter.

Particularly confounding when trying to peel back the layers of apparent logic. Motives  need to be dissected, good luck with that unless you speak the language like a native. Perhaps a modern educated Thai might be the answer ?

Most of us are here enjoy the country and culture , even may I suggest the 'grumps' but,  understanding all may take me a while yet.

On 7/22/2017 at 11:52 PM, buffallobill said:

473geo, its not my pension in 14 years, that her aunt dosnt think my wife will get, her aunt thinks she wont get my properties or my life insurance, which is rubish as i have written a will. The post is more about why my wife believes people who tell her shit, even though i tell her differently...

people  are  stupid is basically the answer you need

Sorry, read all with interest, you have been married a whole two years??  Hopefully a much longer time together before you were married - having lived in SE Asia on and off for over 40 years, when a wife starts arguing about Wills, Insurance, Property on the death of her husband, I am highly suspect on 'the why'.  I don't believe the 'family knows more than the Farang'  bit others are throwing around............the old adage is true in SE Asia  "Never be worth more dead than alive"  and make sure someone other than one of their family members is the executor of any wills.   If she doesn't believe you over this little tidbit, then think about taking hee to the Brit Embassy and see if they will register your marraige..........some say it can't be done, I don't know.  Good Luck.

Don't get married. Just date a chesty cutie, make it clear to her that if anything happens to you, it would also mean a dead end for her...this means stonger motivation to her to take extra care and devoted handling to the hen with the golden eggs....

And if you have purchased any property on leasehold, keep it that way, no transfers in her name and make sure she is informed that your heir will be a family member, so no point in having you take a parachute jump from the 9th floor or whatever...

And don't forget to keep the house blue or yellow book far away from sight....as well as any bank account statements.....

my humble advice to others...enjoy!

On 23-7-2017 at 8:53 AM, colinneil said:

Your missing the point, i have a fantastic marriage, but my point is no matter what a farang says a Thai is always believed before the farang.

Your missing the point there are plenty of Thai woman that don't think like that especially the more educated ones. That it happend to you and a few in your area does not mean its a general thing. 

Alarm bells brother! You have been married two years and the family are are talking about what happens to your money when you die already? I wouldnt be worried about making her beleive you, I'd be worried about sleeping with both eyes open.

26 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Sorry, read all with interest, you have been married a whole two years??  Hopefully a much longer time together before you were married - having lived in SE Asia on and off for over 40 years, when a wife starts arguing about Wills, Insurance, Property on the death of her husband, I am highly suspect on 'the why'.  I don't believe the 'family knows more than the Farang'  bit others are throwing around............the old adage is true in SE Asia  "Never be worth more dead than alive"  and make sure someone other than one of their family members is the executor of any wills.   If she doesn't believe you over this little tidbit, then think about taking hee to the Brit Embassy and see if they will register your marraige..........some say it can't be done, I don't know.  Good Luck.

my  bloody  Wife  argued over the will too, she said shes  left it with her best friend and My Mother so if  anything happens Ill know where to get it from.....cant trust em , sneaky cow

22 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

So I recently ordered a iced green tea no milk no sugar. Ordered from the casheir in English and then broken Thai. Another Staff (young dude) made it for me and it comes out, heavily laden with milk and sugar (it is already mixed into the powder they use, at this particular shop I never ordered a green tea from before). I told him this is not what I ordered and he looked at me as I am the biggest farang jerk in the world because he "didn't add any milk or sugar". So I went back to the cashier and ordered something else. They are not dullards. Thais just simply look at the world from a completely different perspective then Western people. More I can adapt and improvise to this reality is better than sticking to unrealistic expectations.

Great observation - I was once in a small hotel in CM. - I asked the girl who works at reception where I could buy a coffee - we sorted out the nearest 7/11 and I went there. When I returned and went into the lobby, there was a pot with coffee and a sign that said "FREE" - I looked at her - she looked at me and it clicked. 

But, I had not asked for free coffee or even coffee - I asked her where I could buy a cup of coffee... and she answered correctly - We both smiled - and then I strangled her... innocent your honor!! 

ok, I didn't strangle her but I did learn a lesson... 

Lie.  Say that her aunty and Thai friend are right. But UK make new law this year and accept thai marriage because so many uk men marry Thai women now.

She's happy. Aunt is happy. And you won't care they had to be lied to.

I got married inthe Ampur office in Khon Kaen and it was legal in New Zealand. But we also got married in New Zealand four months later. Your marrage in Thailand is not legal in Thailand if you get a village marrage or any where else.

1 hour ago, sandemara said:

You can take stupid to the altar but you can't make them think.

You know - - most of the foreigners who come here cannot speak or read and write on a first grade level... and most of the times in cases of marriage, it is the Thai lady who learns to speak the foreigners language, in spite of living in Thailand where it would be more practical for the foreigner to learn Thai language... 

So, it always strikes me as funny when the foreigners who can barely order food, nor hold a basic conversation in Thai language,  start calling Thai people stupid. 

On 07/23/2017 at 8:53 AM, colinneil said:

Mine is different.

OP - right or wrong is not so important. What is important is that your wife is put at ease - why don't you take the expense of going to a Thai lawyer and having them talk to your wife and take whatever steps they recommend... 

There are plenty enough things that farang get wrong here that it is understandable for our wives to have some doubts and as others have pointed out, it is not uncommon for them to have these doubts. 

The OP needs to execute a Thai will, that will resolve the doubt. I have an Australian will and a Thai will for that very reason.

Think about it - how can the average Thai woman understand the full implications of a will written in English?

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your missing the point there are plenty of Thai woman that don't think like that especially the more educated ones. That it happend to you and a few in your area does not mean its a general thing. 

So you are saying that people with a masters degree are not educated.

Crazy thing to say in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

You know - - most of the foreigners who come here cannot speak or read and write on a first grade level... and most of the times in cases of marriage, it is the Thai lady who learns to speak the foreigners language, in spite of living in Thailand where it would be more practical for the foreigner to learn Thai language... 

So, it always strikes me as funny when the foreigners who can barely order food, nor hold a basic conversation in Thai language,  start calling Thai people stupid. 

Correct. I wonder though if their opinions would change if they could speak the lingo.

So you are saying that people with a masters degree are not educated.
Crazy thing to say in my opinion.

I am saying that educated people believe foreigners more then uneducated ones. I did not say that all educated people believed foreigners more.

Archived