Are you a Hand Holding Farang ?

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Don't agree with that. Thai girls don't mind holding hands with each other and I think a couple of decades ago it still wasn't uncommon for Thai males to hold hands with close male friends, though that seems to have gone now. 

Yea but that's not what we are discussing. Title of thread?  FARANG hand holding not Thai 'sisters' nor Thai 'elderly' nor Thai 'kids' nor Thai 'male friends'.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Yea but that's not what we are discussing. Title of thread?  FARANG hand holding not Thai 'sisters' nor Thai 'elderly' nor Thai 'kids' nor Thai 'male friends'.

No problem. Just thought you said 

Holding hands ... definitely 'outside' of Thai culture

6 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

No problem. Just thought you said 

Holding hands ... definitely 'outside' of Thai culture

If you re-read my posts I mention 'elderly' and 'kids'.

Hand holding by Farangs is not a big 'sin' but it's like shaking hands and not wai-ing and I see it as that. Imposing a western culture. Do you insist on shaking hands when a Thai wais you?  

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

"Holding hands is not part of Thai culture"?

Are smartphones, cars, pizza part of Thai culture?

Is culture something static, or does it evolve?

Right... so would you take a pizza into a Temple? or a phone and make a call? no... so there you have it

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

Right... so would you take a pizza into a Temple? or a phone and make a call? no... so there you have it

I would not make a phone call anywhere amongst people, but I see (and hear....) Thais making phone calls in the local temple - not that I frequent those business centers very often.

10 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Hand holding by Farangs is not a big 'sin' but it's like shaking hands and not wai-ing and I see it as that. Imposing a western culture. Do you insist on shaking hands when a Thai wais you?  

No. I don't think the thread is about shaking hands or waiing either. Just don't agree with you that holding hands is 'outside of Thai culture'.  I think you're missing something when trying to state an opinion in absolute terms.

6 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

>>>>> Do you insist on shaking hands when a Thai wais you? <<<<

555 When in Belgium I allow Thai friends to wai, I do not demand that they shake hands or hug.

I think that people should do as they please, and not expect others to do the exact same.

1 minute ago, KhaoNiaw said:

No. I don't think the thread is about shaking hands either. Just don't agree with you that holding hand is 'outside of Thai culture'.  I think you're missing something when trying to state an opinion in absolute terms.

You are trying to deflect. This thread is not about 'holding hands in Thailand' it's about 'Farang holding hands in Thailand'.  

My very VALID point about the 'wai' is that it is cultural and would a farang shake a Thais hand after they received a Wai. It's the same point. Please stick to the subject.

Just now, oldhippy said:

>>>>> Do you insist on shaking hands when a Thai wais you? <<<<

555 When in Belgium I allow Thai friends to wai, I do not demand that they shake hands or hug.

I think that people should do as they please, and not expect others to do the exact same.

Thais I know abroad nearly always hand-shake as that is our CULTURE. You avoided my point... do YOU shake hands here?  I believe the answer is NO. Hand holding by farangs is not in Thai culture is the point that I, and others, have made. 

3 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Thais I know abroad nearly always hand-shake as that is our CULTURE. You avoided my point... do YOU shake hands here?  I believe the answer is NO. Hand holding by farangs is not in Thai culture is the point that I, and others, have made. 

And my point is that culture is not something static, culture evolves. And culture is even in Thailand no longer  "one size fits all".

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

And my point is that culture is not something static, culture evolves. And culture is even in Thailand no longer  "one size fits all".

Agreed.. and you avoided my point again. I think you 'get it' but are just being stubborn because you like 'holding hands'.  My comparison is a perfect cultural comment and match. The Wai and the Hand Holding both by farangs. I believe you would not do one but do the other. Let's agree to disagree you hand-holding old hippy  lol.

Up to you but it looks terrible in my opinion. Go to a movie and hold her hand under the radar where it counts. And that goes for new Thai teenage couples and Fangs's first outings with a Thai girl. It is a bit like her lifting her leg and marking her territory. Next is pregnancy and you are snagged. . 

11 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Exactly.

This is why I don't like holding hands.... because of the jerks like op.

Yea I'm insecure, she's not.

I really don't care what others think, especially the jerks. My wife of 38 years and I hold hands frequently when in public; we are in love, you know.

Holding hands with your Thai GF or wife is much better than the many Farangs that walk in front of the lady with her walking a few paces behind , the man looks like he is embarrassed to be with her, see it many times. you can just imagine what their love life would be like. I like holding hands with my lady because she is a good sort a great lady to be with and I really do like her and I am proud to be with her. 

19 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Agreed.. and you avoided my point again. I think you 'get it' but are just being stubborn because you like 'holding hands'.  My comparison is a perfect cultural comment and match. The Wai and the Hand Holding both by farangs. I believe you would not do one but do the other. Let's agree to disagree you hand-holding old hippy  lol.

I hold hands and I do not  wai. When Thais wai me I give them a big honest smile and - if they come close enough - I shake hands (men) or touch them on the arm (women).  Maybe they think I am excentric or stupid or whatever, I can live with that. And maybe some think I am real.

I once got kicked out of an exam at university for not wearing a tie.... lack of respect the professor said.... I am too old now to change.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

I hold hands and I do not  wai. When Thais wai me I give them a big honest smile and - if they come close enough - I shake hands (men) or touch them on the arm (women).  Maybe they think I am excentric or stupid or whatever, I can live with that. And maybe some think I am real.

I once got kicked out of an exam at university for not wearing a tie.... lack of respect the professor said.... I am too old now too change.

You seriously don't Wai and shake hands yet you live in Thailand?  wow that is lack of respect.  Never mind each to his own it's not a mortal sin, as I have said, but...

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

You seriously don't Wai and shake hands yet you live in Thailand?  wow that is lack of respect.  Never mind each to his own it's not a mortal sin, as I have said, but...

Seriously.

The only person that I ever wai is my wife's cheeky old aunt.

She wais first, next I wai, next we hug. In public.

I never waied the CEO (chief monk) of the local wat - they run the Kitchakut buddha Disneyland with golden rock and footprints of Buddha, he was a top monk. Yet one day we met him at a different temple and he invited me for a cup of tea. No big deal for me, but you would not believe the comments of the people in our village. I was instantly world famous.... So the Big Monk did not mind me not waiing him..... Maybe he was intelligent enough to understand that real respect can be shown by a smile too?

hehehe I am reliving the sixties thanks to this thread.

On occasion ... wife initiates in public sometimes to indicate possession (reasonable) --

When alone on a country walk we affectionately do so

But ... most of the time, public and not, we don't

Secure?  You betcha !

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Seriously.

The only person that I ever wai is my wife's cheeky old aunt.

She wais first, next I wai, next we hug. In public.

I never waied the CEO (chief monk) of the local wat - they run the Kitchakut buddha Disneyland with golden rock and footprints of Buddha, he was a top monk. Yet one day we met him at a different temple and he invited me for a cup of tea. No big deal for me, but you would not believe the comments of the people in our village. I was instantly world famous.... So the Big Monk did not mind me not waiing him..... Maybe he was intelligent enough to understand that real respect can be shown by a smile too?

hehehe I am reliving the sixties thanks to this thread.

Well... anyway we go round and around and differ in what we think is respectful in a foreign culture and what is not. Let's move on.

Are you insinuating I was an elephant in a past incarnation?  ....my trunk holding the tail coming out of the rump of the beast in front of me? 

Not sure whether I'm a hand-holder, but am certainly not a pussy-grabber like you-know-who (not without express permission, anyway).

If she is 50 years younger and walking behind you, it is not recommended....555

If you are walking with your Thai daughter it is not recommended as some tourists good doers will think you are a sick person and make stupid remarks.

Just walk close to her and she will let you know what she wants.

As more expats leave and less tourists come, better to maintain a low profile with the single ladies.

Each to their own,  my wife and I do it all the time. Never thought about it as "marking territory"

Isn't that what dogs do when they piss on their property!?:biggrin: 

Not insecure. Yes, deeply in love. Yes, we both trust each other completely (if you don't then you shouldn't be in a long-term relationship in my opinion)

More importantly, we like each others company, and would rather spend time together then apart, do everything together and it is weird when we are apart...... And yes, I know that sounds 'naive and sweet' but we have been through thick and thin and have been together over 9 years now.  It's not for everyone so i say "do what makes you happy"

Holding hands is nice... we didn't do it in Dubai or the UAE because it's not acceptable there.... but is in most other countries..

Question to the OP..... why do you ask? Do you have a problem with it? Are you from a country where it is considered wrong or rude?  there are many "Do's and Don't's" around the world...

12 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

From what I see it's a form of possession  on both parties. Sort of like the guy wants it to be understood the lady is with him.

In some cases perhaps but who cares , best not to be judgemental and attempt to put everybody in neat boxes.

I'd never given it much thought before. Never bothered to analyze it. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.  We walk side by side and it seems a very natural thing to do. Sometimes initiated by me and sometimes initiated by my wife.  

Archived