Are you a Hand Holding Farang ?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

My girl instigates the hand holding in public and sometimes the arm holding which I believe is the traditional way to show your feelings. , It re-assuring  for me, should be more of it.

I do understand that you may need that 'reassurance' and she loves to show you off as she has hit the jackpot. I get that but it's not the cultural norm but if you're happy who cares? I won't be doing it as it's uncomfortable in this culture.

You are trying to deflect. This thread is not about 'holding hands in Thailand' it's about 'Farang holding hands in Thailand'.  

My very VALID point about the 'wai' is that it is cultural and would a farang shake a Thais hand after they received a Wai. It's the same point. Please stick to the subject.

To be precise, the thread is about farangs holding hands with Thais, so if Thais do it, even with farangs, it's cross-cultural.

Lots of different opinions. Some guys are just "hand holders" and some guys aren't, at least not in crowded public places. We always have our 5 yr. old with us and our time is spent on her.

Kind of like the idea of wife walking 3 steps behind me but that would interfere with her holding umbrella for me.

Sometimes we are behind an old farang hand holder and my wife will start to hold my hand with a devilish grin and we both laugh.

Some guys talk about Thai culture, well, when my wife slips her hand into mine as we are walking, anywhere, I would never ever dream of hurting her feelings by pulling my hand away, she deserves better than a reaction based on "what other people might think" simply because she is the most important person in my life and her choices will be treated accordingly.

Some people, men and women, are more affectionate than others. And since most public affection is frowned upon in Thailand, you're pretty much stuck with handholding or the occasional hand on their shoulder. When I first visited Thailand and met my gf she let me know right away that touching her inner thigh in Thailand in public was a no-no. I think the OP may be using this post to bash the romantics a little bit. I don't really care. I'll continue to hold my girl's hand when I want. Sometimes I do, sometimes you wouldn't even know we were together. What does it matter anyway? If it bugs you look the other way.

31 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

Some people, men and women, are more affectionate than others. And since most public affection is frowned upon in Thailand, you're pretty much stuck with handholding or the occasional hand on their shoulder. When I first visited Thailand and met my gf she let me know right away that touching her inner thigh in Thailand in public was a no-no. I think the OP may be using this post to bash the romantics a little bit. I don't really care. I'll continue to hold my girl's hand when I want. Sometimes I do, sometimes you wouldn't even know we were together. What does it matter anyway? If it bugs you look the other way.

On the contrary, depending on the hand holders, I am amused.

5 hours ago, 473geo said:

Some guys talk about Thai culture, well, when my wife slips her hand into mine as we are walking, anywhere, I would never ever dream of hurting her feelings by pulling my hand away, she deserves better than a reaction based on "what other people might think" simply because she is the most important person in my life and her choices will be treated accordingly.

Agree....

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't & it's natural either way....I don't need/require my wife to hold my hand but sometimes we do....

Thai women are touchy, feely (visceral like) about most things......When I'm driving my wife usually has her hand touching my thigh, when were on a couch or on the bed at home our feet/legs are touching....That tells me a lot more than PDA outside....

Of course - if a nice flirtatious smile comes my way she's quick to take up the gap....

I think part of it is Thai men are basically stoic & no touch - except when they want something.....My Mil always says she misses my hugs & she melts into them when we first see them on a visit....My Fil is pretty much no touch - not sure how they had 2 kids....His childhood upbringing explains why - pretty much on his own - strong man....But he loves his family fiercely & you can feel the love/bond/unity when we're all together....

One of the saddest things I've ever seen is my Mil, at her Mother's funeral, had nobody to hug in her grief so she went to hug & cry against a wooden pillar....I went and put my hand on her shoulder briefly to try and give comfort ....Best I could think of given the Thai way....

3 hours ago, stubby52 said:

The only times i shake my head is when people are holding hands down a busy soi when for self preservation sake they really should walk in single file. :shock1:

A favourite activity of inconsiderate farang tourists that think it's OK to walk two abreast down crowded pavements.

no need to walk along holding hands .... you will see each other in bed later .  And kissing in public is so grouse ....

but some farangs are generally stupid,  backpackers included.

common sense goes along way and is appreciated by most. :coffee1:

no need to walk along holding hands .... you will see each other in bed later . so grouse And kissing in public is ....
but some farangs are generally   backpackers included.

There's a difference between showing affection for your wife/girlfriend and getting it on. Nothing to do with "going to bed later"

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I often see it mostly in farang-packed areas. As some of you have said, it is definitely her marking her territory and saying to the the other thais "back the f off, this farang is taken." As you know.... thai women are aggressive and would easily snatch you away from her in the blink of an eye. Hence the need many, if not most, thai women have to claim posession over their farang men. And this is exactly the reason why I never hold hands when walking with a guy in public. Holding hands is something sweet, but this "marking territory" thing has made it distasteful for me. 

Interesting discussion and POV's

Occasionally my wife will grab a finger for a bit of time( never a full hand) and its likely to get me to slow down to look at something with her. Some times she might sneak in a sniff on an escalator. But she knows like I know that generally speaking PDA is not viewed as acceptable.

I  do however frequently see women who will put their hand on the mans shoulder as they walk (Thai/Thai). That seems to be quite normal. My wife has done that on occasions as well. 

On 7/24/2017 at 4:22 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Even girls (friends) hold hands here. I am not a hand holding kinda guy, but what to do when wife shoves it right in at the shopping mall?

Reminds of the time I saw the wife bent over in the freezer....my God she looked hot.......too much for me.....I took her there and then.

We've been banned for life from Big C.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:48 PM, steven100 said:

no need to walk along holding hands .... you will see each other in bed later .  And kissing in public is so grouse ....

but some farangs are generally stupid,  backpackers included.

I feel sorry for anyone that thinks physical affection is only to be shown in bed. While I agree French kissing in public is offputting ( get a room won't ya ), hand holding is admirable, IMO.

I hate shopping and frequently stop to look at things I may be interested in. As long as we are both carrying our phones, my wife happily goes her own way. Eventually I call her and tell her I am going to the car. She has to look at everything in the store.

Once in awhile, she forgets her phone and latches onto my hand so I don't get lost. It doesn't bother me and I don't care nor does she what other people think. Some people need to mind their own business.

3 hours ago, Gary A said:

I hate shopping and frequently stop to look at things I may be interested in. As long as we are both carrying our phones, my wife happily goes her own way. Eventually I call her and tell her I am going to the car. She has to look at everything in the store.

Once in awhile, she forgets her phone and latches onto my hand so I don't get lost. It doesn't bother me and I don't care nor does she what other people think. Some people need to mind their own business.

And, some folks are too easily upset. Someone dug this old thread up out of the bin as I thought it was put to rest.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:58 PM, Thaidream said:

... Kissing in public in Thailand- never.

I kissed my bride-to-be just before we were married. Once, in secret.

That was 39 years ago.  Back then, school kids commonly held each other's hands.  But same sex. While "dating", we always had at least two of her little brothers or sisters with us in public, or a couple of her friends.  Can't give the wrong impression.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:33 PM, oldhippy said:

>>>>>>> customary, that the wife walks 2 to 3 meters behind the husband. <<<<<<<

I thought the "hind legs of the elephant" were about 2-3 meters behind the front.  Thais know the hind legs do most of the work.