Are you a Hand Holding Farang ?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Holding hands is immature 'OCD' stuff and definitely 'outside' of Thai culture

"when in Rome"

So when the sarcastic "of course your wife is different" comments appear I can truthfully answer - indeed she is :smile:

2 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

Do you find it necessary to hold hands with your Thai G/F, wife everywhere you go?

I see you in the stores, busy sidewalks.

Are you insecure or just so deeply, deeply in love?

Strange post.

Taken literally - who finds it necessary to do it EVERYWHERE?  

Surely nobody does.

Occasionally it can be very reassuring.

Physical contact is very important.

You never see me do it in stores, and you never see me walk on any busy sidewalks... 

Non Verbal Communication is more than 90% of our total experience.

I feel true pity for thehelmsman if he doesn't understand the need for it.

29 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Strange post.

Taken literally - who finds it necessary to do it EVERYWHERE?  

Surely nobody does.

Occasionally it can be very reassuring.

Physical contact is very important.

You never see me do it in stores, and you never see me walk on any busy sidewalks... 

Non Verbal Communication is more than 90% of our total experience.

I feel true pity for thehelmsman if he doesn't understand the need for it.

And, I for you if you can't see the humor in it all. If you don't walk on busy sidewalks then maybe you can walk on air. Such a prestigious individual.

I'll bet you carry her purse as well.:sad:

I hold hands with my Mum (she's 83), my daughter (she's 40), my grandchildren (3, 5, 7 & 8) and my wife (she's nearly 50). I'm 60 - ish. Sometimes it's about looking after them, sometimes it's just about feeling close.

My wife and I often hold hands across the restaurant table, always when in the street, sometimes when walking in our garden, and almost every night before sleep.

Anyone who does not enjoy holding hands with a loved one has probably had a neglected childhood and needs to see a therapist (IMHO, of course).:smile:

BTW - Holding hands with a loved one is not the same as being dragged around a shopping centre by a paying customer (or by the rental companion).

Can't believe most comments here.

Holding hands in public is NOT part of Thai-Culture. In Rural-Thailand, still customary, that the wife walks 2 to 3 meters behind the husband. Holding hands in public? A definite no no! Showing mutual affection in public, kissing in public? Only possible in "Tourist-Hubs". In those places, Thai-Ladies have quickly adopted to "new customs".

- A grotesk situation must evolve: A Farang holding hands in public with his female, displays to all Thai's that he is likely a "newcomer", unaware or not interested in Thai-Customs, in the eyes of Thai's, "more gullable" than old resident Farangs, making him a "priced object".

This, in turn, may entice the Thai Lady (against her instinct), to seek the hand of the Farang, thus making clear to possible Thai Female Competitors, that she has "claimed" this hopeful Farang prospect, any "interference" abolutely not welcome!

A grotesk situation, that some may think is't a novel from Franz Kafka, only to realize that it's only TIT (this is Thailand.) No more, no less.
Cheers.

18 minutes ago, swissie said:

In Rural-Thailand, still customary, that the wife walks 2 to 3 meters behind the husband.

Unless they are walking through a minefield, in which case they walk 2 to 3 meters ahead :tongue:

11 minutes ago, swissie said:

Holding hands in public is NOT part of Thai-Culture. In Rural-Thailand, still customary, that the wife walks 2 to 3 meters behind the husband. Holding hands in public? A definite no no! Showing mutual affection in public, kissing in public? Only possible in "Tourist-Hubs". In those places, Thai-Ladies have quickly adopted to "new customs".

- A grotesk situation must evolve: A Farang holding hands in public with his female, displays to all Thai's that he is likely a "newcomer", unaware or not interested in Thai-Customs, in the eyes of Thai's, "more gullable" than old resident Farangs, making him a "priced object".

This, in turn, may entice the Thai Lady (against her instinct), to seek the hand of the Farang, thus making clear to possible Thai Female Competitors, that she has "claimed" this hopeful Farang prospect, any "interference" abolutely not welcome!

A grotesk situation, that some may think is't a novel from Franz Kafka, only to realize that it's only TIT (this is Thailand.) No more, no less.
Cheers.

i can believe the comments here, many people here understand very little about thai culture beyond the bar and finding a partner in the bar and paying them to be their partner, then being surprised when it all goes pear shaped.

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i can believe the comments here, many people here understand very little about thai culture beyond the bar and finding a partner in the bar and paying them to be their partner, then being surprised when it all goes pear shaped.

Sometimes you just gotta poke your toe over that imaginary line and live a little :smile: 

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

In Fiji, Tonga, Samoa it is (OK was) common to see men holding hands - funniest thing I ever saw were policemen... and believe it or not, wearing skirts.

2010JCIMG_2067b.JPG

Men hold hands with men (and women with women) in most non-Western cultures.

It's not normal for Thais to hold hands , so I believe it's the farang that will take the initiative and the wife/gf have no choice really.

I find it amusing here in Pattaya when I see this phenomenon , with much older guys walking hand in hand with a girl 40 years younger than themselves.   I prefer not to hold hands in public. 

2 hours ago, balo said:

It's not normal for Thais to hold hands , so I believe it's the farang that will take the initiative and the wife/gf have no choice really.

I find it amusing here in Pattaya when I see this phenomenon , with much older guys walking hand in hand with a girl 40 years younger than themselves.   I prefer not to hold hands in public. 

Some of us actually still live in Thailand.

friendsThai.jpg

From time to time we will.....Usually more arm in arm.....She usually initiates it....

Then - she looks up & deeply, tenderly into my baby blues as she says -

"Slow down - you're walking too fast again".....

Traffic control.....

6 hours ago, swissie said:

Cheers.

>>>>>>> customary, that the wife walks 2 to 3 meters behind the husband. <<<<<<<

Do you live in muslim Thailand?

And even if that would be "customary", do you think that civilized people should respect that custom?

8 hours ago, 473geo said:

So when the sarcastic "of course your wife is different" comments appear I can truthfully answer - indeed she is :smile:

It's not a hanging offence and do what you want but it's disrespectful and if you are comfortable with that then 'up to you' but your wife should know better.

1 hour ago, amvet said:

Some of us actually still live in Thailand.

friendsThai.jpg

Holding kids hands or kids holding kids hands is completely different as is holding the hands of a very elderly person who is unsteady. Don't deflect it's not considered polite here but some still do it. Some also go into temples and answer their phone but it doesn't make it 'right' and I believe farangs should respect Thai customs as much as possible.

Often hookers, someone familiar with the matter tells me,  will hold hands because they want to show you are "theirs". Best avoided unless wandering upon a lonely beach then anything goes (I am told).

It's not unusual to see Thai couples of all ages arm in arm or holding hands walking in the shopping malls maybe one couple out of every 30-50 people.....

Outside of malls not too much - but some, usually at a destination site....

That's not counting the Tom's & their girl friends, they're usually velcro'd together....

My 9 year old daughter took my hand the other day going into Big C, that happens once in a blue moon now, surprised me - different from when she was a little girl....Our 16 y/o daughter holds Mom's hand now occasionally - if anybody's....

I'm never comfortable seeing one person clinging/guiding/possessing/steering/yanking another around....They're pretty easy to spot....

9 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Holding hands is immature 'OCD' stuff and definitely 'outside' of Thai culture

"when in Rome"

Don't agree with that. Thai girls don't mind holding hands with each other and I think a couple of decades ago it still wasn't uncommon for Thai males to hold hands with close male friends, though that seems to have gone now. 

Archived