• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

2. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

3. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

4. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

5. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

6. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

7. 563

White Culture

8. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

9. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

10. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

11. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

12. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

13. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

14. 125

Trump chickens out again.

Dengue outbreak kills 300 in Sri Lanka, hospitals at limit

webfact

Dengue outbreak kills 300 in Sri Lanka, hospitals at limit

tag-reuters.jpg

A part of a flooded highway exit is seen in a village in Matara, Sri Lanka May 29, 2017. Sri Lanka Air Force/Handout via REUTERS/File Photo

COLOMBO (Reuters) - An outbreak of dengue virus has killed around 300 people so far this year in Sri Lanka and hospitals are stretched to capacity, health officials said on Monday.

They blamed recent monsoon rains and floods that have left pools of stagnant water and rotting rain-soaked trash -- ideal breeding sites for mosquitoes that carry the virus.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is scaling up emergency assistance to Sri Lanka with the Sri Lanka Red Cross to help contain the outbreak.

"Dengue patients are streaming into overcrowded hospitals that are stretched beyond capacity and struggling to cope, particularly in the country’s hardest hit western province," Red Cross/Red Crescent said in a statement.

According to the World Health Organization, dengue is one of the world's fastest growing diseases, endemic in 100 countries, with as many as 390 million infections annually. Early detection and treatment save lives when infections are severe, particularly for young children.

The Sri Lankan government is struggling to control the virus, which causes flu-like symptoms and can develop into the deadly hemorrhagic dengue fever.

The ministry of health said the number of dengue infections has climbed above 100,000 since the start of 2017, with 296 deaths.

"Ongoing downpours and worsening sanitation conditions raise concerns the disease will continue to spread," Red Cross/Red Crescent said.

Its assistance comes a week after Australia announced programmes to help control dengue fever in Sri Lanka.

"Dengue is endemic here, but one reason for the dramatic rise in cases is that the virus currently spreading has evolved and people lack the immunity to fight off the new strain," Novil Wijesekara, head of health at the Sri Lanka Red Cross said in a statement.

(Reporting by Ranga Sirilal and Shihar Aneez Editing by Jeremy Gaunt.)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-25

10 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Lovely.  I'm there in about 2 weeks.  Ugh...

Lots of mosquitoes in some areas- stay covered in evening - I really liked Sri Lanka - have a great trip - try fresh chilled coconuts with a few shots of local rum poured inside - yummy!

22 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Lots of mosquitoes in some areas- stay covered in evening - I really liked Sri Lanka - have a great trip - try fresh chilled coconuts with a few shots of local rum poured inside - yummy!

That sounds great!  I'll try it for sure!