scooter drive to chiang rai a good idea?

Ebenweb

i've never been. currently driving a rented scooter from a local joint and wondering if it would be up to the task. also if the drive itself is particularly scenic and whether two nights there would be worth the longish journey there and back.

thoughts?

Rainy season, probably an inexperienced rider.....Backpacks, slick roads, many busses & trucks that drive fast and cut corners to keep momentum going....It is scenic but not the turn your head while riding a motorcycle type of beauty....A little bike isn't a good idea....A 250 would be bottom line passable....

Better off if you bussed it up then rented a scooter up there to explore around....Mostly flat once up there....The Queens Garden is a climb to get to....

I agree with all above except the need for a big bike. I've been all over N. Thailand on a 110 with "auto".

In fact, on the very bendy roads like Pai, Doi Ankhang a big bike is a disadvantage say my big bike friends. 

I did it on my 125cc Honda 4 years ago (Dec 29 approx). Damn near lost it on the first couple mountain bends as lots of sand at the edge of the road, like ball bearings. Maybe not now with all the rain.

Also, I could not keep up with traffic so everyone was passing me, even on corners.

Can be done on a scooter no problem. The main highway (118) is not the safest road, I wouldn't recommend it to novice riders and it has taken the lives of experienced riders. It's a boring few hours on a scooter.

A more enjoyable, and arguably safer, route would be the 107 and 1089 through Chiang Dao, Fang and Mae AI popping out on highway 1 just north of Chiang Rai. With stops, expect it to take 6 hours without rushing.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Bus leave frequently, every 15 minutes or so and you can usually show up and get a ticket for the next bus

When is the last time you took a bus? That is simply not true. We went to Chiang Rai a few weeks ago and went 28 hours in advance and it was already too late - all sold out. Things are different now. Chinese tourists go by the thousands.

2 minutes ago, elektrified said:

When is the last time you took a bus? That is simply not true. We went to Chiang Rai a few weeks ago and went 28 hours in advance and it was already too late - all sold out. Things are different now. Chinese tourists go by the thousands.

I go up there regularly , never had to wait more than 30 minutes for the next bus.

Been going up and down there for six years and havent noticed an increase in Chinese tourists .

The only time buses between these two cities would be crowded is during major holidays - Songkhran, New Years, etc.

Be prepared to arrive at least 20 minutes before your desired departure - the schedule is posted online somewhere.

Done it many times, big bikes, small bikes, fino, wave etc, no problem.

But now it's rainy season, would not recommend it unless you can pick out a sunny day.

Otherwise great ride take your time, plenty of gas stations and coffeeshops on the way down there.

green bus from the bus terminal is the way to go at this time of the year.  The last time I did the trip was about a year ago and I saw so many VIP (Venga) buses off the road on that one trip that it wasnt funny...  the green bus maybe a bit slower (safer) but its no hassle and quite relaxing.  

They have a toliet in the rear of the bus so if you have afew beers in Chiang Rai before you returnits no problem.

It is a good ride via bike but not with the current wet weather.  In fact its a bit dangerous unless you are a confident (experienced) rider.  Ive done it in the wet on a 250 (Which I consider a small bike) and it wasnt great.  Coming back (From Mae Sae) in the dry was a hoot.   But then I have been riding for nigh on 30+ years.

Now Id take the easy option and stick to a bus.

Not the worst or hardest drive I've done in Thailand (note drive, not scooter) but the mountain part until you hit highway 1 is a challenge and I would suggest even more dangerous on a bike/ scooter than in a car. As others say - catch a bus. Greenbus VIP is the way to go, comfy seats, no dramas or stress. 

Lot's of people prefer the bus over a nice scooter ride, how boring.

Besides the fact that I trust my driving abilities much more then any Thai bus driver it's just a cool and adventures thing to do.

Prefere 100 times more to drive myself in my own pace then trust any Thai with or without a driving license on the roads here.

Edited by kalbo123

If not having to do a point to point and return journey within timeframe under stricture, why not?

If I had an abundance of leisure time, Opal and I would tandem bicycle this journey, of course she would need to be in the leading seat.

Sometimes the travel is the experience not the end result being a rush to reach destination.

9 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

If not having to do a point to point and return journey within timeframe under stricture, why not?

If I had an abundance of leisure time, Opal and I would tandem bicycle this journey, of course she would need to be in the leading seat.

Sometimes the travel is the experience not the end result being a rush to reach destination.

200-250 kilos one way depending on route with lots of rolling hills.....On a bicycle built for two.....

Better have plenty of time......

Don't forget your Go Pro & selfie stick....

Saw a couple of cyclists trying to make it  up to Doi Ithanon last visit, hilarious for us  in a car, on our way down,

Pedalling away they were, with about 150 strokes to gain a couple of metres meandering over their whole lane.

Would guarantee that they probably enjoyed the summit experience more than us, sometimes it is the journey not the destination.

15 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Saw a couple of cyclists trying to make it  up to Doi Ithanon last visit, hilarious for us  in a car, on our way down,

Pedalling away they were, with about 150 strokes to gain a couple of metres meandering over their whole lane.

Would guarantee that they probably enjoyed the summit experience more than us, sometimes it is the journey not the destination.

Last time up Doi I - there were around 30 monks walking up that last stretch of road to the summit, very hot day - barefooted.....

I can hardly walk on gravel barefooted....

Oh please, it is a great ride on a scooter. Just avoid the main crowded highways as much as possible.  May I suggest taking the 1001 up to Phrao.  From there you can turn east to the 118 and head directly to Chiang Rai.  But better to maybe head westward and spend the night in Thaton (check out the 1346) and then head to Chiang Rai.  You can also cross over to the 118 just shy of Fang via the 109. So many alternatives to get to Chiang Rai while avoiding most of the heavy highway traffic. And if it begins to rain hard just pull over at some coffee shop, noodle shop or a roadside sala (shelter). Maybe experience just how much better Thai food is outside the city.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, Rotweiler said:

The only time buses between these two cities would be crowded is during major holidays - Songkhran, New Years, etc.

Be prepared to arrive at least 20 minutes before your desired departure - the schedule is posted online somewhere.

I went in early morning and the only bus available was at 5pm. That was on a mid week day and not on a holiday.

That was on Green Bus, but are there any other companies that do the route?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:26 PM, Johpa said:

Oh please, it is a great ride on a scooter. Just avoid the main crowded highways as much as possible.  May I suggest taking the 1001 up to Phrao.  From there you can turn east to the 118 and head directly to Chiang Rai.  But better to maybe head westward and spend the night in Thaton (check out the 1346) and then head to Chiang Rai.  You can also cross over to the 118 just shy of Fang via the 109. So many alternatives to get to Chiang Rai while avoiding most of the heavy highway traffic. And if it begins to rain hard just pull over at some coffee shop, noodle shop or a roadside sala (shelter). Maybe experience just how much better Thai food is outside the city.

Part of the 1001 to Phrao is jungle with no habitations for many miles. As any vehicle can break down I wouldn't go on that route by myself as not much traffic ( when I drove it ), and in any event, speaking Thai would be, IMO, a necessity if travelling alone on Thai roads.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Just to clarify, I was talking about Green Bus's VIP seating, which is three across.  Sometimes it is the front section of a first class bus.  I used to drive a bus, and they seem to be safety conscious. 

One way they made me put on the seat belt, other way didn't.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, naboo said:

Can be done on a scooter no problem. The main highway (118) is not the safest road, I wouldn't recommend it to novice riders and it has taken the lives of experienced riders. It's a boring few hours on a scooter.

A more enjoyable, and arguably safer, route would be the 107 and 1089 through Chiang Dao, Fang and Mae AI popping out on highway 1 just north of Chiang Rai. With stops, expect it to take 6 hours without rushing.

When I drove the 1089 a few years back, much of it was disintegrated and not suitable for small wheeled scooters.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, elektrified said:

The Chinese mainly go on tour buses. Not them to blame.