scooter drive to chiang rai a good idea?

Ebenweb

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:26 PM, CMKiwi said:

green bus from the bus terminal is the way to go at this time of the year.  The last time I did the trip was about a year ago and I saw so many VIP (Venga) buses off the road on that one trip that it wasnt funny...  the green bus maybe a bit slower (safer) but its no hassle and quite relaxing.  

They have a toliet in the rear of the bus so if you have afew beers in Chiang Rai before you returnits no problem.

It is a good ride via bike but not with the current wet weather.  In fact its a bit dangerous unless you are a confident (experienced) rider.  Ive done it in the wet on a 250 (Which I consider a small bike) and it wasnt great.  Coming back (From Mae Sae) in the dry was a hoot.   But then I have been riding for nigh on 30+ years.

Now Id take the easy option and stick to a bus.

Not all Green buses have a toilet. Ask when booking.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I drove the 1089 a few years back, much of it was disintegrated and not suitable for small wheeled scooters.

Are you sure it was the 1089? I've driven that road at least once a year for the past decade, it's never been in poor condition.

15 hours ago, naboo said:

Are you sure it was the 1089? I've driven that road at least once a year for the past decade, it's never been in poor condition.

Definitely. After Mae Ai going towards the 110.

Not the whole road, but a fair stretch. The top layer of the tar seal that must have been added some years after the original was delaminating in large chunks- not pot holes.

About 5 years ago. Could have been redone since.