20,000 Baht - Interested in genuine opinions

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

Just checking that you see the benefit of travellers cheques as protection against theft? Last time I used travellers cheques (many, many years ago) I recall some pretty hefty fees on redeeming unused cheques.

Where is the best place to purchase them? Any danger IO will not know what they are or refuse to accept them?

Bangkok Bank sells them.  You can cash them at many places - I'd inquire at Bangkok Bank as to their fees for purchase and redemption, though maybe currency-exchanges have a better rate on cashing them.

I bought some 10 years ago and still have them - useless, except to use for entering Thailand, due to an antiquated idea of what a tourist would carry in the digital-age.  But they never expire, so the only long-term downside is the gradual depreciation of fiat-currencies.

Flew into Don Muang yesterday from Cambodia and was not asked to show anything, no 20k, no onward ticket, no accommodation details. Got my 30 days visa exempt without a worry. Had a TV prior going to Cambodia, went for 4 days returned and no problem. So I'm just saying you most likely might not even be asked.

1 hour ago, Ling Kae said:

Flew into Don Muang yesterday from Cambodia and was not asked to show anything, no 20k, no onward ticket, no accommodation details. Got my 30 days visa exempt without a worry. Had a TV prior going to Cambodia, went for 4 days returned and no problem. So I'm just saying you most likely might not even be asked.

If you only have one TR Visa's worth of time in Thailand, prior to your recent Exempt entry, this is not surprising.  If you had 2 or 3 of them ~6+ months worth, it might be a different story at the airport.  Or maybe not, if they've already filled up the detention-room and/or have their quota for the day.

On 25/07/2017 at 2:39 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Think I've overdosed on these 20,000 baht threads

Same here.....it's hardly nuclear science......or is it? ...to stuff 20,000 baht into one's pocket in whatever currency you fancy......Jeeeez.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Bangkok Bank sells them.  You can cash them at many places - I'd inquire at Bangkok Bank as to their fees for purchase and redemption, though maybe currency-exchanges have a better rate on cashing them.

I bought some 10 years ago and still have them - useless, except to use for entering Thailand, due to an antiquated idea of what a tourist would carry in the digital-age.  But they never expire, so the only long-term downside is the gradual depreciation of fiat-currencies.

The other bad thing about travelers checks, as I found out years ago, is that Thais love to scrutinize your signature and tell you that the way you've countersigned the check is not the same as the other signature you put on the check (when receiving them).  Thus, you run the risk of countersigning the check and having it not accepted (thus rendering that check worthless).

On 7/25/2017 at 5:58 PM, mngmn said:

The maximum is 50k THB (20k USD equivalent in currency without need to declare).  So we have a real Goldilocks situation as far as THB are concerned.  Less than 20k is too little, more than 50k is too much, anything in between is "just right".

I think you flunked math :)  20K USD is over 600,000 THB at current exchange rate.

I don't have/use visa but I am American who travel on US passport and live/work in Singapore.   I have been coming to BKK almost every month since 2012 and have only Thai stamps (probably over 50 entries) on current passport.  I get 30 days visa exemption on arrival and stay for 5 to 10 days.  I have never been asked to show anything except ONE time when a grumpy lady wanted to see my SG employment pass ID.  She wrote down the number next to her stamp.  I do have and keep sufficient "emergency" fund in USD, SGD and THB in my travel organizer permanently for my travels. 

10 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

I plan this year to visit Thailand for 3.5 months with that exempt stamp thing. I am German . 31 year old. Will have that 20k baht in Euro. 

Will i get into problems if i do 2 visa runs during that time (Vietnam / taiwan) ?

Or should i get a real tourist visa while im still in Germany ? Was the last time in Thailand around last year November. (30 Days)

I dont plan to stay long time or work there. I got the funds to show them as well.

But im worried a bit that they will assume im another “beg“ backer.

If your last stays were not long, and your upcoming stays will be fairly short - and those will be interrupted with multi-day stays in other places, I do not anticipate you will have a problem. 

On 7/25/2017 at 2:39 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Think I've overdosed on these 20,000 baht threads

Yes ! And especially when someone is ridiculous enough to ask if he should have a money only in Thai baht !!!

As if any of the officials involved had enough brain to know what are other currency and how much they are in Thai baht !

I am so sure that most of the people who had problems were just looking for these problems.

4 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

The other bad thing about travelers checks, as I found out years ago, is that Thais love to scrutinize your signature and tell you that the way you've countersigned the check is not the same as the other signature you put on the check (when receiving them).  Thus, you run the risk of countersigning the check and having it not accepted (thus rendering that check worthless).

You could still get a refund from the issuer, though.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You could still get a refund from the issuer, though.

True...but it kind of screws one on that particular trip.  Which is why I don't treat travelers checks as a cash substitute anymore (i.e. I never use them).

On 7/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, mngmn said:

Anyone know what exchange rates the IO would use?

Seriously? Is that a real question? Just extend your safety net to 21,000 baht and no exchange rate fluctuation can possibly affect you.

17 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

the maximum isn't 50k thb

the limit for needing to declare is 20k usd or currency equivalent, so in thai baht thats over 600k thb.......

more than that you can declare it.

I don't think anyone's having money confiscated

It's 50k for Thai currency (Thai banknotes). 20k USD for other currencies.

Try declaring more than 50k in Thai banknotes and report back what happens.

10 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Same here.....it's hardly nuclear science......or is it? ...to stuff 20,000 baht into one's pocket in whatever currency you fancy......Jeeeez.

Not a problem if you don't travel often. In my case I need to leave 20k lying around all the time as I travel frequently.

7 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

Yes ! And especially when someone is ridiculous enough to ask if he should have a money only in Thai baht !!!

As if any of the officials involved had enough brain to know what are other currency and how much they are in Thai baht !

I am so sure that most of the people who had problems were just looking for these problems.

Spend most of my time in Thailand so Thai baht is the most convenient currency. Converting baht to other currencies in Thailand would be pretty pointless for me.

4 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

True...but it kind of screws one on that particular trip.  Which is why I don't treat travelers checks as a cash substitute anymore (i.e. I never use them).

I have a permanent need to carry 20k as I travel frequently. This is quite a good solution for me as I would never cash them.

1 hour ago, maewang99 said:

everybody needs to have 20k THB on them unless Thai.

Immigration wants to apply a sledge hammer to the local economy.

no. I don't think so.

It's a risk management thing. If you are unlucky enough to get pinged by IO consequences are pretty bad for Non O visas holder.

• Like 1

This question was related to showing a mix of currencies including less popular currencies such as Philippines Pesos.

Pretty clear now this would be a bad idea.

Edited by mngmn

This is getting completley out of control. Had a phone call last night from a mate whos coming over in August. He had an email of a friend of his to say he read on "some English Thai site?"

That 30 day exempts arent being issued now, you need  TR Visa and 20k GBP. Or they wont let you in!!

Its amazing how 3 or 4 little incidents which were no doubt the tourists own fault for abusing the visa system. Has suddenly become  a rumour mill exagerated out of all proportion story.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

No one, so far, can point to the specific laws or rules broken by those purportedly "abusing the visa system,"  other than some who didn't know "having money" meant "having cash" plus no ATM-access to get it- since that would be a far-fetched assumption in 2017 ... except when entering Thailand.  One did know of this archaic rule, was prepared, and was denied-entry anyway.

It is unfortunate that the context is lost - that people who have never been here or never spent very long here at one time are unlikely to be targeted.  It is highly unlikely they would be asked to show the money, provided something about their appearance, accent, or demeanor doesn't set-off an IO. 

But even if I was coming for the first time ever, I'd want to know that the rules are: I "should have" 10K (exempt) or 20K (with a visa) - and that I won't be able to access an ATM if asked to show it.  It's something few people would consider, if not warned about it.  Even if they heard of some off-chance they might be asked to show funds upon entry, they would assume the worst-case scenario would be having to retrieve some from a machine, and return to the back of the queue - not be detained and rejected-entry, while being purposefully denied access to the cash being demanded. From that angle, this widespread coverage is a good thing. 

No it would be a good thing if correct facts were quoted in this case they were not.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

This is getting completley out of control. Had a phone call last night from a mate whos coming over in August. He had an email of a friend of his to say he read on "some English Thai site?"

That 30 day exempts arent being issued now, you need  TR Visa and 20k GBP. Or they wont let you in!!

Its amazing how 3 or 4 little incidents which were no doubt the tourists own fault for abusing the visa system. Has suddenly become  a rumour mill exagerated out of all proportion story.

9 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

No it would be a good thing if correct facts were quoted in this case they were not.

Let's put it in context, then.  Has your friend coming in August spent more than a few weeks here at a time, in the last 2 years?  If so, the IO could very well flag him on entry, as they did another fellow who was questioned coming in after 7 months out of the country, because he had spent a longer-period in Thailand, the year before:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/988184-immigration-questioned-me-computer-show-up/

It would appear that an IO could view any longer-stay, even a year ago, as 'red flag' that the person might be inclined to stay longer this time - so could be interrogated and possibly denied-entry.  I am guessing your friend has not spent a longer-period of time here in 2016, though you did not specify this.  If he attended a language-school and, even worse, still had an incriminating "illegal worker" ED visa in his passport, that could lead to every barrier being thrown his way - even though he had not broken a single law or rule - as happened to this guy (who had the cash):

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/971858-rejected-entry-to-thailand-because-too-many-tourist-visa/?do=findComment&comment=11679714

But if he has no long-stay history, his "odds of possible interrogation" are small.  I view the purpose of these discussions as being to minimize the number of victims of arbitrary immigration policies.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2017 at 4:17 PM, BritTim said:

The exchange rates on foreign currencies are those offered by the exchange booths airside, and only currencies they will accept are applicable. I would avoid other than major currencies. I doubt immigration are going to start playing games like saying US dollars and euros are not proof that you can support yourself on your visit.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. If reports on here are to be believed, some travelers have been taken aside for not having 20,000 or more THB in cash even though they presented outbound airline tickets, some cash (but less than 20,000), bank statements with far more than the equivalent of 20,000 Baht and hotel bookings and weren't even allowed to visit the ATM just after immigration. It greatly helps if you can speak Thai in such cases but for an immigration officer who wants to play god, if you don't have 20,000 you could be in trouble.

Edited by jimster
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jimster said:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. If reports on here are to be believed, some travelers have been taken aside for not having 20,000 or more THB in cash even though they presented outbound airline tickets, some cash (but less than 20,000), bank statements with far more than the equivalent of 20,000 Baht and hotel bookings and weren't even allowed to visit the ATM just after immigration. It greatly helps if you can speak Thai in such cases but for an immigration officer who wants to play god, if you don't have 20,000 you could be in trouble.

Agree on the 'playing God' part - but if they don't have the 20K, they are just plain screwed.  But that's different than someone who has 20K+ worth of Euros or US Dollars. 

Someone mentioned PhP (Philippine Pesos) above, which get a terrible exchange rate here, as I found out when discovering some in old luggage.  I took ~25% loss vs their value if exchanged for USD in the Philippines.  I would not try using those. 

But Dollars, Euros, Swiss Francs - I don't see a likely issue.  If they really wanted to deny, I think they'd fall back to the "intending to work illegally" rationale for denial, rather than quibble over the money being in Euros.  After all, no one can "prove" that they don't "intend to work illegally," so they can deny anyone with that.

• Like 1

FGSs man why all the hoo haa?

Just get 10x australian $100 notes and be done with it

they stick together so tight can fit in the small pocket of wallet

Also are a durable plastic which never deteriorate like US paper money

Until i see all these silly 20 k threads i forget i have mine in wallet now 4 years and never have to think about this BS

Mind if you do have Thai gf, it goods to check if is still there before you travel.555

• Like 1