20,000 Baht - Interested in genuine opinions

3 minutes ago, TVNAMOD said:

Easy solution, have 20k THB on you at all times when (re-)entering Thailand.

I keep 20,000 baht on me when I go to 7/11.  Gee you never know when you will meet Miss Right (now).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TVNAMOD said:

Easy solution, have 20k THB on you at all times when (re-)entering Thailand.

I will send your very well thought through post to European Immigration, and I will suggest that those who enter Europe by airplane or rubber boat should carry at least 3.000 euro (amount adjusted to cost of living) or be denied entry.

No credit cards (as no ATM available) and no funny money (as dollars or pounds).

Easy, really, why did not somebody think of this before?

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I will send your very well thought through post to European Immigration, and I will suggest that those who enter Europe by airplane or rubber boat should carry at least 3.000 euro (amount adjusted to cost of living) or be denied entry.

No credit cards (as no ATM available) and no funny money (as dollars or pounds).

Easy, really, why did not somebody think of this before?

Not everything has to be "thought well through" oldhippy. I just make sure that I SIMPLY carry 20k THB on me when (re-)entering on a NON-O. Immigration asked it before so they will ask for it again and when they do I can show it and move on. It's.... quite easy actually and never thought about it extensively.

Edited by TVNAMOD
  • Like 1

I travel a lot in and out on multi entry non O Suvarnabhum and Don Muang never been asked anything. They just stamp it.

I just back from Tokyo

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just now, Xaos said:

I travel a lot in and out on multi entry non O Suvarnabhum and Don Muang never been asked anything. They just stamp it.

I just back from Tokyo

Airport no need, I only got asked crossing by land once every while.

36 minutes ago, Xaos said:

I just back from Tokyo

I also travel up to three times a month on a non-O and have never been asked for 20k but if I was and couldn't show the money, leading to being refused entry, it would be a disaster. So from my perspective not worth the risk.

The point of this thread was to explore options for frequent travellers. I already carry up to 20,000 baht in a mix of other currencies but the consensus is that this would not automatically be accepted.

If you are worried about theft, travellers cheques seem the safest.

If you are worried about fat wallet syndrome, $1,000 note in Singapore currency seems like a good option but stay aware of any plans to withdraw large denomination notes.

Otherwise the universal advice is to make sure you have 20k baht no matter which visa you have.

Edited by mngmn

Just now, mngmn said:

I also travel up to three times a month on a non-O and have never been asked for 20k but if I was and couldn't show the money, leading to being refused entry, it would be a

disaster. So from my perspective not worth the risk.

The point of this thread was to explore options for frequent travellers. I already carry up to 20,000 baht in a mix of other currencies but the consensus is that this would not automatically be accepted.

If you are worried about theft, travellers cheques seem the safest.

If you are worried about fat wallet syndrome, $1,000 note in Singapore currency seems like a good option but stay aware of any plans to withdraw large denomination notes.

Otherwise the universal advice is to make sure you have 20k baht no matter which visa you have.

Put 20 bills between two heavy books for a day or so. You wont notice them in your wallet after that.

1 hour ago, Evilbaz said:

What foreign currency is that?

Thai coins are satangs where I live.

In the true spirit of TV nit picking, can I point out the smallest coin in Thai currency is 25 satang and is colloquially referred to as 1 salung with 4 salung to the baht.

Apart from the weight of 80,000 such coins, I have had toilet ladies refuse to take them as part of the 3 baht fee for relieving myself in their fine establishments. So I very much doubt immigration would accept them as evidence that you can support your stay in Thailand.

Edited by mngmn

What about gold?

I always travel wearing a Thai gold chain weighting 2 baht (around 30 grams) any gold shop in Thailand would give me around 40,000 baht for this in an instant.

Wonder if an IO would accept that my chain was almost as good as cash?

Hint to the humor challenged,  I am smiling as I type this.

Edited by mngmn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

Which checkpoints?

Scratching hard here, I remember one occasion in Luang Prabang probably >3 years ago and less then 2 years ago at Padang Besar. And you know, heard all the stories in addition. So just stick 20k THB in your wallet problem solved for land crossing.

• Like 1

Great information. Thanks. Yes, I get it that some of you can get too much of it and likely are some of the helpful minds out there helping some of us not all that in control of this wacked out and incredible place. so thanks for bearing with the same ole information. 

Ok, I know this should go into the Myanmar forum, however, my gf and I are finally going to Myanmar. Hopefully if all works well, she will get approved to come back to Thailand using her new and real Myanmar passport on a TR visa. My question is this: Will she have to have 20,000 Baht too? Is there anyway we can show that we're together sharing expenses? or is it best to just both have 20,000 and keep it simple? (did I just answer my own question....) Thanks

2 hours ago, rcoyote said:

Great information. Thanks. Yes, I get it that some of you can get too much of it and likely are some of the helpful minds out there helping some of us not all that in control of this wacked out and incredible place. so thanks for bearing with the same ole information. 

Ok, I know this should go into the Myanmar forum, however, my gf and I are finally going to Myanmar. Hopefully if all works well, she will get approved to come back to Thailand using her new and real Myanmar passport on a TR visa. My question is this: Will she have to have 20,000 Baht too? Is there anyway we can show that we're together sharing expenses? or is it best to just both have 20,000 and keep it simple? (did I just answer my own question....) Thanks

Families require 40k so I guess you need 20k each unless she is entering on a visa exempt then she will need 10k.