20,000 Baht - Interested in genuine opinions

Spend a fair bit of time here on a Non-O visa and about to leave Thailand on one of my regular work trips. Planning to make sure I have the equivalent of 20k baht on me.

As a frequent traveler I always have a mix of left over currency on me.  Anyone know what exchange rates the IO would use?  Also are they likely to bother calculating the value of a mix of AUD, MYR, SGD, PHP and THB to arrive at the 20k? Or do people think they are more likely to introduce "a new rule" that the money must be in THB?

Based on personal experience, do people think there is any point printing out bank statements, tax returns and other documentation in English to prove that I have sufficient funds overseas and regularly work OUTSIDE of Thailand?  My experience of IO's English is that they barely speak English at all, and would not want to loose face when confronted by documents they don't understand. Also it is true that documents such as these are so easy to fake these days that they are probably justified in ignoring them. 

It would take a bolder person to fake a Thai bank book  (which is probably why they prefer them) but remembering to update a bank book on a regular basis is rather a hassle.  Does anyone know if there is a Bangkok Bank ATM at the airports that will update passbooks?  If so, one possible solution is to keep 20k+ in an account and update the book before you leave.  Would probably only work for short trips and the IO could still argue that you may have withdrawn the funds overseas since you updated the balance in the book.

I know many posters will say "just carry the 20,000" which I agree is the simplest solution BUT I am interested in genuine opinions on my points above.

17 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Spend a fair bit of time here on a Non-O visa and about to leave Thailand on one of my regular work trips. Planning to make sure I have the equivalent of 20k baht on me.

Would that be a ME Visa based on marriage to a Thai?

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Would that be a ME Visa based on marriage to a Thai?

It is my understanding from Ubonjoe that a Non-O is a Non-O irrelevant what it is based on.  Yes multiple entry.

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I think you might need it.

My understanding is that you need it for any type of visa.  10k for visa exempt, 20k if you have a visa.  In fact a Non-O visa signals quite clearly that you are NOT a tourist so must be able to demonstrate some long-term means of support.

4 minutes ago, mngmn said:

My understanding is that you need it for any type of visa.  10k for visa exempt, 20k if you have a visa.  In fact a Non-O visa signals quite clearly that you are NOT a tourist so must be able to demonstrate some long-term means of support.

The chance of being asked for it when you enter on a multiple entry  non-o visa are much less than if you were using a tourist visa or getting a visa exempt entry. The non-o requires a specific reason to get one and in some case requires financial proof to get.

Another factor that would help you is that you are apparently leaving before your 90 entries ends.

Wise to have the 20k baht incase you were asked. I think they might have a problem with it if you presented a stack of different currencies.

• Like 2

The exchange rates on foreign currencies are those offered by the exchange booths airside, and only currencies they will accept are applicable. I would avoid other than major currencies. I doubt immigration are going to start playing games like saying US dollars and euros are not proof that you can support yourself on your visit.

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

It is my understanding from Ubonjoe that a Non-O is a Non-O irrelevant what it is based on.  Yes multiple entry.

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The chance of being asked for it when you enter on a multiple entry  non-o visa are much less than if you were using a tourist visa or getting a visa exempt entry. The non-o requires a specific reason to get one and in some case requires financial proof to get.

Another factor that would help you is that you are apparently leaving before your 90 entries ends.

Wise to have the 20k baht incase you were asked. I think they might have a problem with it if you presented a stack of different currencies.

That's the reason why I asked, and Joe has already answered.

I know a fair few expats on Non Imm O ME for a few years, but non have every reported being asked to show 20,000 either at borders or by airports.

However that one in a thousand chance still exists.

Edited by Tanoshi

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The exchange rates on foreign currencies are those offered by the exchange booths airside, and only currencies they will accept are applicable. I would avoid other than major currencies. I doubt immigration are going to start playing games like saying US dollars and euros are not proof that you can support yourself on your visit.

See Ubonjoe's comment about mixed currencies.  For example, I currently have around 12,000 baht in four different currencies (excluding THB).  Just means I now need to carry another 20k THB just to be on the safe side.  Simplest solution is probably to just get a USD 1000 note and staple it in your passport :)

3 minutes ago, mngmn said:

See Ubonjoe's comment about mixed currencies.  For example, I currently have around 12,000 baht in four different currencies (excluding THB).  Just means I now need to carry another 20k THB just to be on the safe side.  Simplest solution is probably to just get a USD 1000 note and staple it in your passport :)

You will find it very difficult to acquire a US$ 1,000 note. They have not been issued for many years and, eevn in the US, would be difficult to use even should you wish to do so.

It is my recollection that Singapore still issues a SGD 1,000 note and Switzerland a CHF 1,000 note. However, I know there is pressure to phase out high denomination notes to deter money smuggling.

31 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You will find it very difficult to acquire a US$ 1,000 note. They have not been issued for many years and, eevn in the US, would be difficult to use even should you wish to do so.

It is my recollection that Singapore still issues a SGD 1,000 note and Switzerland a CHF 1,000 note. However, I know there is pressure to phase out high denomination notes to deter money smuggling.

Thanks for that.  Didn't realise the USD 1,000 note was no longer in circulation. Apparently it was taken out of circulation as a precaution against money laundering.  Got me thinking about how much you can actually bring into Thailand.  The maximum is 50k THB (20k USD equivalent in currency without need to declare).  So we have a real Goldilocks situation as far as THB are concerned.  Less than 20k is too little, more than 50k is too much, anything in between is "just right".

Mentioned this because there is a real danger that some of the posters on other threads who regularly spend 10K+ on a night out in Pattaya might pull out their wad of 100k planning on a week-long binge and find that it gets confiscated.

SGD 1,000 sound good (they actually used to have a SGD 10,000 note).  Not so worried about spending it other than eventually exchanging it at a bank (or money lender).  The amount of traveling I do means it is more or less a permanent requirement to have THB 20k (or equivalent) on me.  On reflection its probably not such a good idea to staple it to my passport as it would probably serve as a magnet for all sorts of "special fees" that would need to be paid.

Edited by mngmn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

agreed; immigration authorities are not your friends, they want to do as little as possible; multiple currencies would NOT help

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Only another 3,000 posts on this subject on various threads to go and we'll hit the 20,000.

Just carry 20, 000 baht or the equivalent in any major currency and feel good.

What is the problem??

I'm also wondering what the problem is. If you don't have 20k Baht to rub together, then being denied entry for a stay of more than a couple of weeks in Thailand, with its rising cost of living, is going to be the least of your problems. I can remember the 20k requirement from the eighties, when it was worth far more than it is now, only now they are enforcing it.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I'm also wondering what the problem is. If you don't have 20k Baht to rub together, then being denied entry for a stay of more than a couple of weeks in Thailand, with its rising cost of living, is going to be the least of your problems. I can remember the 20k requirement from the eighties, when it was worth far more than it is now, only now they are enforcing it.

It's not a question of "having it" - it is "having it in cash" which is very uncommon, these days.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It's not a question of "having it" - it is "having it in cash" which is very uncommon, these days.

20k Baht is not that much to carry in cash either - it's only US$ 600. To be  fair, they are hardly asking people to carry wads of money around.

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

I have plenty of money both in savings and as income. As I mentioned, I travel frequently and will have to pretty much have 20k lying around on a permanent basis in addition to the normal travel cash I need to carry.

Just looking for ways to avoid this.

Edited by mngmn

45 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

on-screen bank account balance is unacceptable??

seems bizarre (but hardly surprising) if true.

I do not recall a case where the victim was able to use that to help. In fact, if they start asking questions, you had better show the money "helpfully" before they even ask, or they may claim you didn't have it, per your rejection-stamp.  It's not "really" about whether the person is broke or not - it's just the excuse in-play.  The 'real' reason is, this particular "IO-clique" cannot seem to get the rules changed on how much time you can spend here on TR Visas, so they fish for something else to use.

52 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Or travellers cheques.

Yes - that was my solution. 

33 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

20k Baht is not that much to carry in cash either - it's only US$ 600. To be  fair, they are hardly asking people to carry wads of money around.

To each their own. I never carry anywhere close to that.  Nothing I do in a short period of time costs anywhere near that - other than things done with plastic or bank-transfers.  And I can top-up a few thousand baht on nearly every street-corner for small-expenses.

Edited by JackThompson

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I know a fair few expats on Non Imm O ME for a few years, but non have every reported being asked to show 20,000 either at borders or by airports.

Agreed and the consequences for most Non-O holders of being denied entry and passport stamped with all sorts of nasty stuff are simply not worth the risks.

15 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

oh, this only applies to TR visa holders..

sweet!

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes - it has happened on the Malaysian border.  I haven't seen reports at airports.  But the cost of 20K Baht in Travelers Checks is not that high - cheap insurance to quickly settle any dispute.

Edited by JackThompson

58 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

I dont mind to carry around 520€. But who do they want to keep out like that? Cant imagine someone visiting another country with 50€ ... 

Do they check for health insurance ? 

Health insurance is something that only became widely used in the second half of the 20th century. Like credit cards and ATM machines, immigration rules have yet to be updated to take account of such modern services. Apparently, though, the new 10-year retirement visa is, for the first time, going to incorporate health insurance as a requirement. Give it another 20 years, and immigration will probably be able to take credit cards and ATM machines into account in deciding whether people will be able to pay hotel bills.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - it has happened on the Malaysian border.  I haven't seen reports at airports.  But the cost of 20K Baht in Travelers Checks is not that high - cheap insurance to quickly settle any dispute.

Just checking that you see the benefit of travellers cheques as protection against theft? Last time I used travellers cheques (many, many years ago) I recall some pretty hefty fees on redeeming unused cheques.

Where is the best place to purchase them? Any danger IO will not know what they are or refuse to accept them?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mngmn said:

Thanks for that.  Didn't realise the USD 1,000 note was no longer in circulation. Apparently it was taken out of circulation as a precaution against money laundering.  Got me thinking about how much you can actually bring into Thailand.  The maximum is 50k THB (20k USD equivalent in currency without need to declare).  So we have a real Goldilocks situation as far as THB are concerned.  Less than 20k is too little, more than 50k is too much, anything in between is "just right".

Mentioned this because there is a real danger that some of the posters on other threads who regularly spend 10K+ on a night out in Pattaya might pull out their wad of 100k planning on a week-long binge and find that it gets confiscated.

the maximum isn't 50k thb

the limit for needing to declare is 20k usd or currency equivalent, so in thai baht thats over 600k thb.......

more than that you can declare it.

I don't think anyone's having money confiscated

• Like 2