Kasikorn bank drama ends as pet shop owner drops charges

webfact

Kasikorn bank drama ends as pet shop owner drops charges

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CHAINAT: -- The pet shop owner at the center of a bank scandal has decided to drop charges against Kasikorn.

An employee of the pet shop had brought 80,000 baht to the bank in Wat Singh district in April but the teller had entered only 40,000 baht in the account.

The bank said he only handed over 40,000 but Wachira Ariyapongkorn, 41, was adamant that it was 80,000.

The teller was later charged with theft by Wat Singh police.

Subsequently, Kasikorn visited the pet shop owner in June to give her 40,000 baht to keep the case out of the news. She took the money but then gave it to the police saying she intended to keep the matter going through the courts.

But yesterday the owner Saisunee Oo-petch, 55 and the bank teller Jutharat Iam-jui, 30 - along with a lawyer of the bank - settled the matter after they were called in by the public prosecutor.

Wat Singh police spokesman Suthat Narkphong said that Saisunee had accepted the 40,000 baht offered by the bank.

The bank said it was all a genuine mistake.

Saisunee accepted this - and her money.

Thaivisa notes that when the story broke the pet shop owner had said that this was not the first time they had had such a problem with that branch.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-26

I had a slightly different problem with a bank. I changed some Euros into Baht for my wife.

The cashier took a wad of 1,000 Baht notes, put them in the note-counter so I could see, it showed the correct amount. The cashier reversed the notes and the machine counted again, correctly. I went home with the cash. My wife counted the notes again and discovered a 500 Baht note in the middle of the wad.

We both rushed to the bank, explained to the same cashier what had happened. She immediately closed her counter to customers in the queue, and counted all the cash in her draw, checking against a total on the screen.

After about ten minutes she swapped the 500 Baht note for a 1,000 and apologised.

Now I don't know if it was or wasn't an honest mistake, but ever since it has taught me to check any large amount of notes to ensure they're all the same value.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I had a slightly different problem with a bank. I changed some Euros into Baht for my wife.

The cashier took a wad of 1,000 Baht notes, put them in the note-counter so I could see, it showed the correct amount. The cashier reversed the notes and the machine counted again, correctly. I went home with the cash. My wife counted the notes again and discovered a 500 Baht note in the middle of the wad.

We both rushed to the bank, explained to the same cashier what had happened. She immediately closed her counter to customers in the queue, and counted all the cash in her draw, checking against a total on the screen.

After about ten minutes she swapped the 500 Baht note for a 1,000 and apologised.

Now I don't know if it was or wasn't an honest mistake, but ever since it has taught me to check any large amount of notes to ensure they're all the same value.

sad to confirm but working as a lowly bank cashier in the 70s i can confirm that's one of the oldest tricks in the book

Just now, inThailand said:

Sometimes CCTV works in the favour of the victim.  He must have got credit for the missing 40K and then some. A happy ending!

Too many of these in Thailand.  I'm talking about bank scandals not happy endings.

12 minutes ago, anto said:

Why is not the likely looking lad who brought the cash to the Bank for the pet shop owner under suspicion ?

Isn't the bank clearly at fault?

If they weren't they would be filing a defamation lawsuit against the guy and would make sure it's public news that they were not at fault. Hence settling it quickly with their lawyer most likely getting the guy to sign a confidentiality agreement as part of the settlement. Case closed!

I'd be interested to know what's going to happen to the cashier in question? Will she be moved to the back office to count the paper clips or will she continue working on the counter? 

Edited by djayz

3 minutes ago, djayz said:

I'd be interested to know what's going to happen to the cashier in question? Will she be moved to the back office to count the paper clips or will she continue working on the counter? 

Probably she will get a raise for a good effort. They don't want to discourage the practice of scamming customers. 

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Probably she will get a raise for a good effort. They don't want to discourage the practice of scamming customers. 

Seriously, any branch manager who lets her near a till again is asking for a whole lot of headaches. Personally, I wouldn't even let her count the paper clips... 

1 minute ago, djayz said:

Seriously, any branch manager who lets her near a till again is asking for a whole lot of headaches. Personally, I wouldn't even let her count the paper clips... 

Do they have inactive posts at banks?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The teller was later charged with theft by Wat Singh police.

So she was charged because they had evidence, one would assume ?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

But yesterday the owner Saisunee Oo-petch, 55 and the bank teller Jutharat Iam-jui, 30 - along with a lawyer of the bank - settled the matter after they were called in by the public prosecutor.

Now the public prosecutor has dropped the charges and everybody is happy, the client takes his 40,000 missing baht and moves on, clearly he didn't want this before as they offered this too him, now it would appear that he has been silenced, why didn't he have a lawyer present ?

What I would also like to know, is how and why the PP would drop the charges, "tea money", could be a reason, otherwise why wouldn't you proceed, oh, sorry, once again I forgot where the "F" I was, silly me !!!

Edited by 4MyEgo

Why wasn't the bank clerk fired and charged with theft?..it was not a misunderstanding but intentional....

by dropping the charges, the bank clerk is not held accountable for representing the bank....need to punish people for misdeeds or the vicious cycle continues in the future...I want people to fry or at least bake....

giving the the police the 40k to hold doesn't sound too smart to me....Thai culture needs to move away from where the police rule the land and join the 21st century...

Edited by cardinalblue

You'd think in a bank you have Double Crystal Clear 4K Resolution CCTVs hanging 2 inches apart getting every microspot from multiple angles for stuff like this. But what the hell am I doing here thinking in the first place?

People are so lazy in this country, they ask the bank staff to fill the form for them.

It is the customers responsibility to fill the form and denomination of the funds they are depositing.

In some countries, bank tellers refuse the form even if dates are not filled, or denominations not filled properly, and then you lose the queue number, and then like Mr.Bean, have to try your tricks to get back to the counter.

Also Banks should remove the dishonest staff, or remove one have 100% reason to be removed. Rest will work properly.

My guess is; the bank discretely compensated the customer, the cashier and any others who may have been involved in the plot discretely told to resign and therefore no one publicly loses face, case put to bed, all forgotten within the next few weeks.

Glad the customer stuck by his guns and received justice.