Top Thai drug enforcer says "E-cigarettes are bad for you"

webfact

Top Thai drug enforcer says "E-cigarettes are bad for you"

7pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- Thai Rath quoted the chief of the Thai drug enforcement agency as saying that "E-cigarettes" are bad for you.

Sirinya Sitthichai said there was evidence from the medical community that vaping was bad for health.

He also reiterated the severe penalties there are in Thailand for importing, producing and selling electronic cigarettes in the kingdom.

No mention was made about users.

Sirinya was quoting from an article published in the "Journal of Adolescent Health" (2017) that he said pointed to raised blood pressure because of the nicotine in vaping fluid.

He stressed in an interview with Thai Rath that importers of e-cigarettes could be jailed for ten years and fined 5 times the value of their stock.

Severe penalties of 5 years and 500,000 baht in fines were on the books for sellers.

Once again no mention was made in the story of any sanction against users of e-cigarettes.

And no mention was made of the benefits generally accepted in the western world of the role of e-cigarettes in weaning people off smoking regular cigarettes.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-26

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sounds a lot like he is protecting the regular cigarettes. Its a replacement of regular cigarettes, its better but i guess the producers of cigarettes have a lot of influence here. 

In truth, they do raise blood pressure quite significantly in susceptible people, and I speak from experience. The temptation is to keep puffing on and on, unlike conventional cigarettes where if you puff too much you feel sick.

But they are much safer than regular cigarettes in other respects.

There is a simple solution: low or no nicotine liquid.  And further, better ways of calibrating the equipment, eg, a cut out when a cigarette dose has been reached. 

A ban will cost millions of lives.

Edited by mommysboy

Just now, mommysboy said:

In truth, they do raise blood pressure quite significantly in susceptible people, and I speak from experience. 

But they are much safer than regular cigarettes in other respects.

There is a simple solution: low or no nicotine liquid.  And further, better ways of calibrating the equipment, eg, a cut out when a cigarette dose has been reached. 

A ban will cost millions of lives.

I agree they are not healthy.. they are just a better alternative to regular cigarettes. Your solution sounds nice but isnt the nicotine the part the smokers crave (addiction). So it would be hard to go without. 

Just idiotic. As the rest of the world accepts that e-cigs, although not without risk, are far better than analogues, Thailand buries the head , ignores the evidence and misses an opportunity.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I agree they are not healthy.. they are just a better alternative to regular cigarettes. Your solution sounds nice but isnt the nicotine the part the smokers crave (addiction). So it would be hard to go without. 

Yes the nicotine is the big hit, but I think there are other factors, because although they are quite satisfying, nothing quite beats a cigarette.

The problem is more in the manner in which they are used, it is in fact a never ending cigarette, whereas a cigarette comes to an end and gets stubbed out.

2 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Just idiotic. As the rest of the world accepts that e-cigs, although not without risk, are far better than analogues, Thailand buries the head , ignores the evidence and misses an opportunity.

Worse still, by banning them it opens up the market for inferior equipment and liquid.  The UK now has a medical licence for products sold on the high street.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Yes the nicotine is the big hit, but I think there are other factors, because although they are quite satisfying, nothing quite beats a cigarette.

The problem is more in the manner in which they are used, it is in fact a never ending cigarette, whereas a cigarette comes to an end and gets stubbed out.

That's true but in my experience, as a nicotine addict, it doesn't have to be one continuous "hit". For example, I go out for hours and hours without taking the vape gear with me, without missing/needing it, but when I smoked regular gaspers ! I would not have dreamed of going anywhere without a full pack and lighter ( a sad reflection on the power of nicotine). 

3 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

That's true but in my experience, as a nicotine addict, it doesn't have to be one continuous "hit". For example, I go out for hours and hours without taking the vape gear with me, without missing/needing it, but when I smoked regular gaspers ! I would not have dreamed of going anywhere without a full pack and lighter ( a sad reflection on the power of nicotine). 

Yes quite often I just leave it at home.  And now sometimes just pack it in for a week or two. 

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sounds a lot like he is protecting the regular cigarettes. Its a replacement of regular cigarettes, its better but i guess the producers of cigarettes have a lot of influence here. 

You are quite right of course: Chewing tobacco (Dip), Swedish snus, nicotine gum and patches... All fine and legal, but not vaping. Why?

Just now, baboon said:

You are quite right of course: Chewing tobacco (Dip), Swedish snus, nicotine gum and patches... All fine and legal, but not vaping. Why?

I think it really has to do with the influence (brown envelopes) of the tobacco industry. Its true that E cigs are not healthy, but they are a healthy alternative. I don't believe this guy is stupid, so there must be an other motive. 

I am lucky, never smoked (besides weed) so i never got addicted, have a brother that quit smoking (was hard on him) My dad quit.. did it fast and good.. mom tried it many times.. but just can't quit. So I am quite happy i never started it. Though I am not against drugs at all. 

The Thai Tobacco Monopoly is state-owned, smoking has serious medical-effects, perhaps the government should just decide to shut TTM down, in the interests of Thai health ? :whistling:

Or perhaps TTM should start manufacturing vaping-fluid itself, and lobby for the current nonsensical ban to be lifted, so that the consumers can decide for themselves ?

This is just a delaying tactic until they can get the correct companies/taxes/monopolies in place to ensure that the "good people" profit from the sale of e-cigarettes.

They don't want people stopping buying cigarettes from the Thai Tobacco Monopoly and importing e-cigs from abroad. No no no, that would be most unhealthy. Once they have a way to profit internally from the sale of these things they will change their tune and accept conventional wisdom that whilst not as good as quitting altogether, they are better for you than normal cigarettes and can aid quitting (they helped me quit 3 years ago). They also don't smell and are better for non smokers in the vicinity of smokers.

Protecting the Monopoly. This is rediculous.

I use E cigarettes. My constant cough is gone. My lungs fee1 1000% better. I have reduced potency of the Liquid over the last year; and I am weening myself off Nicotine all together. Ran out of E Juice for a few days; bought a pack of tobacco cigarettes; and only smoked a couple. I could stand the taste of the Tobacco Cigarettes after many months of using a  vape.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am lucky, never smoked (besides weed) so i never got addicted, have a brother that quit smoking .. mom tried it many times.. but just can't quit. 

Get your Mom to try ecigs, I quit regular cigs 6 years ago and took up vaping. 8 hours getting used to it, haven't had, and zero desire to have, a cigarette from that day.

Just now, Prbkk said:

Get your Mom to try ecigs, I quit regular cigs 6 years ago and took up vaping. 8 hours getting used to it, haven't had, and zero desire to have, a cigarette from that day.

She tried them, did not work for her.. but she really is a lost cause.. tried to stop many times.. and did a few times then started. Its not because of lack of trying or support. 

So, you slap on some regulations as to what can/cant be in e-cigs, keep yer bloody eye on it so they go rogue (provided you goverment peoples don't do first /rolleyes) and done deal. Find whatever current study you will, booze and cigs are well documented, far worse than weed and e-cigs, but that doesn't mean the worse on is legal while the better alternative isnt, huh? Cut your crap about "health" when you clearly do not give any number of f's about it.

38 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Just idiotic.

There, fixed that for ya.

We know that smoking kills, we suspect there are risks (needing more information) about vaping... so we can start by banning tobacco, a well known villain, and then move on to consider vaping. Otherwise we class both of them as 'dangerous, non displayable/under the counter' products and allow them, making it clear that there are risks.

Otherwise you're just arresting the boy who stole a chocolate and ignore the one emptying your safe!

IF they're banning it because it's 'bad for you' then they need to start adding a great deal more to their list - easy arguments for Lays crisps, coke, smoky cars, smoky police vehicles.... 

Edited by ben2talk

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

She tried them, did not work for her.. but she really is a lost cause.. tried to stop many times.. and did a few times then started. Its not because of lack of trying or support. 

Has she tried snus? There are some pretty strong ones on the market. She would get a good nicotine fix and have a good tobacco taste to boot...

I am sure that the medical authorities are fully aware of the benefits of smoking e' cigarettes as against normal ones.

I suspect that if they were manufactured in Thailand they would be legal and they even might aspire to being the e ciggy hub of Asia.

Cigarettes may damage health but more importantly in their view imports damage the protected Thai economy much more. Money rules.

Don't care one way or the other.  But as someone who is allergic to cigarette smoke (gives me migraine headaches) I would like to see smoking banned in ALL public places.  That means while walking down the street too.

"E-cigarettes are bad for you"

Thai bloke round the corner from me in Bangkok had his townhouse raided last week and a truck load of these things were taken away from his place. Around 10 million Baht's worth, I'm told. Certainly e-cigarettes are bad for him!

There were over 20 cop cars and pick-ups involved in the bust. Plod is taking this seriously.

This from a country that raises taxes on cigarettes to try and bring the smoking death rate down. Then announces a new cheaper brand of cigarettes made by TTM so the poor still have access to nicotine and cancers, lung, heart and respiratory disease.   

I guess he didn't see the BBC Horizon show where they had a scientist check vaping fluids for damage to lung tissue - result was 5-30% damage from e-cigs (depending on vaping fluid flavour) but 95% from regular ciggies. Seems a lot safer to me. Maybe looking at adult medical advice would be better than looking at adolescent medical advice.

As to blood pressure? Well, I guess coffee is going to be next on the 'it's bad for you' list!! But then again, as everyone mentions, the tax issue - coffee tax is non-existent!

By the way, isn't this the guy who said there was 'absolutely no evidence anywhere of medical benefit from the use of cannabis'?