Are Farang coming here full time a thing of the past?

bkk6060

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

2 days ago phillipines cebu talisay scotsman shot in the chest for not giving his wallet to 3 robbers.Then i prefer have my chain snatched at beachroad.

Exactly ! And in Thailand it is very easy to avoid problems. Not sure in PI.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Rents are cheap because farang take a massive downgrade compared to the quality they lived in back home.
Try renting a 100 sqm condo in lower Sukhumvit.. Good luck with cheap !!

Who is stupid enough to live on Sukhumvit actually ? The only ones I know are totally brainless, but yes, some are rich.

They still come.

They "date" a lady by way of "Thaifriendly" for a couple of months before retirement. Having arrived at the Airport, a Family-Member picks up the Farang, ushering him right to the village of the lady.

Farang salivating, thingking of the prospect of "free lodging, free meals, free booze, free "hoopla", free access to genuine Thai family-life".

As chance would have it, there is always a family-member owning a construction company, willing to erect a Mansion for the love-birds.

- Thats why there are less long-term "new-arrivals" in Tourist-Hubs. They don't need to pound the pavement in Pattaya anymore, to end up with the same result eventually.:sorry::partytime2:
Cheers.

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

Who is stupid enough to live on Sukhumvit actually ? The only ones I know are totally brainless, but yes, some are rich.

For as long as I can remember. Farangs living on Sukhumvit (BKK) can not understand why anyone would want to live in Pattaya. And vice versa. Different Genes, I guess.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Yes, but that isn't really 'living' it's eeking out an existence at a third World level. If you just want to live a cheap low quality life why not move to a council estate and get on the social ?

Foreigners with your attitude are one of the worst aspects of living in Thailand.

When you pour contempt on those who choose to live an "enhanced" Thai lifestyle (it doesn't take much foreign cash to do that) you are, in fact, pouring contempt on the Thai people themselves.

That's why, over the years, the Thais have learned to loathe your kind.

Your money is still very welcome.......but that's all.

40 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Foreigners with your attitude are one of the worst aspects of living in Thailand.

When you pour contempt on those who choose to live an "enhanced" Thai lifestyle (it doesn't take much foreign cash to do that) you are, in fact, pouring contempt on the Thai people themselves.

That's why, over the years, the Thais have learned to loathe your kind.

Your money is still very welcome.......but that's all.

Rather an astute observation.

When I came here in 2004, there were shedloads of teachers around, incl. backpackers and the time-served. Last week I was phoned by a Head who sounded desperate for 2-3 farang staff.

Also, there are condos going up everywhere, but I am told that "the Chinese will buy".

I agree about the top-end in Sukh. That is a mystical world like Hampstead in London. BUT, condos and houses in Rachada and lad Prao can now be had for 14,000 or less. I saw one deluxe place in Aree for 18,000b. Ten years ago it was 24,000b. Pattaya I don't know at all, although someone said Russians are drifting back, but not the the levels of five years ago.

The rationales are simple. The baht is 43=1 gbp. I remember it at 75. The great financial crisis of 2008 also. Westerners are changing their habits anyway. Too many alleged murders on islands, and fights... to be comfortable with. The friendliness of the Thais, also, has hardened up a bit. The freewheeling politics are no more (privately, strike me down, but I agree that enforcing the law about some things is good and overdue, if only the schisms and paranoia would reduce).

Despite TV ads and the stated aims of having 50% more visitors 'soon', I don't believe the hogwash. The best time here was to be had in the early 80s, financially and in every way, (although the Asia Crash did help later).

Thailand is now a spent force. People still come for the "name", but I would bet money that the stable farang population is dropping. I often fly into DM, and everybody in the line is mainland Chinese (so easy to hear and to spot!). Recently, I was in Hanoi: it was safe, cheap and pretty good.

Eddy

Spot on Eddy

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Good luck with that.

Just had an Australian guy return to our condo complex after packing up and leaving for good to PI

3 days in he had a home invasion and a gun pointed at his forehead whilst asleep..what a nightmare but it was real !!!!!

PI quickly becoming LOD

LAND_OF_DEATH

Was that in Angeles City?

8 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Can we stick to Pattaya?

Also, why would I want a 100m2 condo on Suk, in Bangkok, in a third world country? You say it's very expensive,  so why rent it? Why make life difficult? It's like moving to Timbuktu, and wanting it to be Kensington. Point of Thailand isn't to live like you live in London.

Geez... it is for me. I won't rent anything under 200m2. I think you've lost touch. I expect to live better in Thailand than I can back at home... and I do. 

the only thing i saw degrade in pattaya over the last 10 years was the sea water quality. prices barley seem to go up outside walking street. possibly many foreigners that can afford it may be spending thai summers abroad. thailand is even better to just winter over if possible. i hope to do the nz winters in thailand for my retirement if possible. dont mind if pattay is becoming less popular as it will mean it stays good value.

So the OP gets around a fair bit and sees less and less new arrivals.  I see he conducted a quality survey, a few bars and some massage girls.  Maybe the new arrivals don't frequent these establishments and are content to stick with their families or visit more high quality establishments.  A fantastic survey result, spoke to maybe half a dozen people and had a look around a few areas.  Maybe TVF should engage him for all future surveys, the results would be as equally interesting. :saai::wai:

26 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

So the OP gets around a fair bit and sees less and less new arrivals.  I see he conducted a quality survey, a few bars and some massage girls.  Maybe the new arrivals don't frequent these establishments and are content to stick with their families or visit more high quality establishments.  A fantastic survey result, spoke to maybe half a dozen people and had a look around a few areas.  Maybe TVF should engage him for all future surveys, the results would be as equally interesting. :saai::wai:

I think its safe to say that since its more complicated /hassle to stay legally long term in Thailand lots of foreigners indeed have left elsewhere and indeed.more shorter term tourist especially Chinese visitors are coming nowadays.Appearantly current government wants it that way.

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

2 days ago phillipines cebu talisay scotsman shot in the chest for not giving his wallet to 3 robbers.Then i prefer have my chain snatched at beachroad.

I was in the Phillipines in 1963 and one of the guys off my ship was held up at gunpoint, and eventually dumped outside Manila in the countryside. Sounds like it hasn't changed much over the years. Two years later same thing in Rio. 

As for Thailand being a Third World country.....maybe Second World....and BKK is more First World......I don't think some of you have actually been in Third World countries, recently. The world is changing very fast.

12 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

On this topic, I had a shock today. Took the morning Sai Tai bus from Pattaya to Bangkok's Sathon Road. I've done this route maybe only a dozen times over a 7-year period and it's always been full, except today. Only 15 passengers, with no westerners except me.

I've done the Pattaya/Bangkok Ekamai round-trip bus easily more than 150 times in that period. The last two years I've seen fewer western foreigners. I used to meet people I knew on this bus. Hasn't happened in a couple of years. I am only guessing that there really are fewer long-term western residents and returning climate refugees. 

No, this is not Pattaya bashing, because I will be moving back to Pattaya (Darkside) from southern Vietnam after only three months and a full year in Bangkok.  In Vietnam where I was (still am partly), most of the expats there were former expat residents of Thailand.

may have something to do with some of the exchange rates ??????????

Quite a few new guys rocking up in my neck of the woods ( Isaan Boonies) recently and a few others committed to living here in the near future. Got to mention, nearly all these guys are well under retirement age, got plenty of cash so they say,  and not with bargirls. Many of the women are nurses, teachers etc. these guys have met on reputable dating websites.

Maybe the lure of Pattaya is fading and the guys are going direct.

Go directly to jail - do not pass Pattaya, do not collect McMansion. 

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Geez... it is for me. I won't rent anything under 200m2. I think you've lost touch. I expect to live better in Thailand than I can back at home... and I do. 

That's one of the things I have never understood about Thailand - why do so many foreigners move there only to live a life which would be considered poverty by many back in their own country.  I had friends who lived in condos in Bangkok and Pattaya that cost less than 10,000 baht a month, a number you couldn't rent a dump for here in Australia for a week, let alone a month.  I guess many living in Thailand, especially retirees, just don't have much money.  Nothing wrong with that but the way some gallivant around like they have won the lottery is amusing.  It reminds me of the emperor and his clothes.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

I think its safe to say that since its more complicated /hassle to stay legally long term in Thailand lots of foreigners indeed have left elsewhere and indeed.more shorter term tourist especially Chinese visitors are coming nowadays.Appearantly current government wants it that way.

Sorry I cannot agree with your Chinese observation, I was in Pattaya yesterday and there were hoards of buses disgorging them, we actually commented that there doesn't appear to be a low season this year, plenty of Russians, Middle East and Indian visitors

Perhaps, and maybe it is the number of Westeners that are dwindling.

And of course "Brits" are suffering with the pound getting pulverized by the " Brexit" fiasco??

The main reason is still the economy, many foreign companies have cut back on sending their workers overseas. For example, Exxon alone cut over 100 expats in Thailand last year. The situation won't improve as companies have already adapted to the situation, so even if the economy improves, they won't be sending workers overseas as they are use to getting by with less workers already.

Another thing is that contract periods have shorten from the usual 4 years plus back 10 years ago to only 2-3 years with yearly contract review.

What you see more of nowadays is chinese expats, they are the second biggest expat population after the japanese now.

There used to be work here for farangs. Way leads on to way, and project leads on to project, so working farangs had a permanent look to them. Now since the oil prices collapsed, major module construction isn't happening here, it's in Malaysia, or the middle east, or Vietnam - so project work has gone. Shut downs and maintenance on petrochemical plants has been scaled way back too. These are the main reasos there are few 'permanent' farangs - and also why there are so many large houses standing empty, getting overgrown.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

And just how, pray tell, has it become more complicated to stay here legally, long term.  I am here long term and haven't been affected one little bit, so for you to say it is safe to say does not pass the pub test. The only thing I see continually, on here, are those who don't want to abide by the rules, whinging and constantly asking others how they can side step (break) the current laws.

As for the Chinese syndrome it is not only confined to this country, they're buying up everywhere, many are taking what they can and are getting out of China, maybe sick of the Communist effect.  In so far as lots of foreigners leaving, can you provide statistics to substantiate what you are alleging and from where they were obtained.   :wai:

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Geez... it is for me. I won't rent anything under 200m2. I think you've lost touch. I expect to live better in Thailand than I can back at home..

Geez..... i think your missing the point

Unlike yourself many expats don't have the financial resources to afford anything over 200m2 ( depending of course where in Thailand they are/want to live)

They stay because it's still a better life than in their own country for whatever reason

i would also  like to live better but have found that the people around me are far more important than your seemingly materialistic lifestyle

If you can afford it that's fantastic, but no need  to knock people that can't or feel it not that important    

Could well be less in Pattaya and more in Bangkok. If you don't mind the traffic or pollution and can live a bit away from the CBD, there are lots of good options at reasonable prices.

I also hear more stories about people going to chang mai, or issan where they can have a large house as opposed to the smaller condos.

I'm not saying Pattaya is dying, but it may be more like Hua Hin in the future, and therefore quiter

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

That's one of the things I have never understood about Thailand - why do so many foreigners move there only to live a life which would be considered poverty by many back in their own country.  I had friends who lived in condos in Bangkok and Pattaya that cost less than 10,000 baht a month, a number you couldn't rent a dump for here in Australia for a week, let alone a month.  I guess many living in Thailand, especially retirees, just don't have much money.  Nothing wrong with that but the way some gallivant around like they have won the lottery is amusing.  It reminds me of the emperor and his clothes.

And many own or already have live in a big house back home for years, no need for anything bigger than condo room for yourself.

Many could have a 200m appartment but why?

Ridiculous expensive, probably impossible to sell without a big loss and who knows about immigration and gov decisions?

One thing about pensioners who have condo under 10k/m 

They have money but must  budget to stay a long time without much hope of a future income.

They also laugh at guys 30-40y.o gallavanting around buying houses, cars bikes etc gold for gf etc

At the same time you will hear these say they will wanna never go home

but wasting so much money now trying to impress others

and then later comes tears and eventual a 1 night stay in 25 storey hotel room  

13 hours ago, pauleddy said:

When I came here in 2004, there were shedloads of teachers around, incl. backpackers and the time-served. Last week I was phoned by a Head who sounded desperate for 2-3 farang staff.

Also, there are condos going up everywhere, but I am told that "the Chinese will buy".

I agree about the top-end in Sukh. That is a mystical world like Hampstead in London. BUT, condos and houses in Rachada and lad Prao can now be had for 14,000 or less. I saw one deluxe place in Aree for 18,000b. Ten years ago it was 24,000b. Pattaya I don't know at all, although someone said Russians are drifting back, but not the the levels of five years ago.

The rationales are simple. The baht is 43=1 gbp. I remember it at 75. The great financial crisis of 2008 also. Westerners are changing their habits anyway. Too many alleged murders on islands, and fights... to be comfortable with. The friendliness of the Thais, also, has hardened up a bit. The freewheeling politics are no more (privately, strike me down, but I agree that enforcing the law about some things is good and overdue, if only the schisms and paranoia would reduce).

Despite TV ads and the stated aims of having 50% more visitors 'soon', I don't believe the hogwash. The best time here was to be had in the early 80s, financially and in every way, (although the Asia Crash did help later).

Thailand is now a spent force. People still come for the "name", but I would bet money that the stable farang population is dropping. I often fly into DM, and everybody in the line is mainland Chinese (so easy to hear and to spot!). Recently, I was in Hanoi: it was safe, cheap and pretty good.

Eddy

I spent the winter of 2014-15 in Hanoi and the cold, drizzly and always overcast weather ruled it out as a place I woud want to stay full time.  Safe and cheap but lousy weather.

2 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Geez..... i think your missing the point

Unlike yourself many expats don't have the financial resources to afford anything over 200m2 ( depending of course where in Thailand they are/want to live)

They stay because it's still a better life than in their own country for whatever reason

i would also  like to live better but have found that the people around me are far more important than your seemingly materialistic lifestyle

If you can afford it that's fantastic, but no need  to knock people that can't or feel it not that important    

No, you're missing the point, which is easy to do with the new forum format where you don't see the original quote that I was replying to.

Let me explain. No matter what your budget, it's likely you can live a better lifestyle here on that same budget. I can rent places here which would cost 3 or 4 times as much in Australia. For me, having a nice place to live is very important. Other people don't mind slumming it and spending their money on girls and booze. Each to their own.

BTW, 200m2 is not very expensive in Pattaya. Shop around and you may be surprised what you can find. Of course, it's unlikely to be a condo unless you have some serious money.

Was that in Angeles City?

No, you're missing the point, which is easy to do with the new forum format where you don't see the original quote that I was replying to.

Let me explain. No matter what your budget, it's likely you can live a better lifestyle here on that same budget. I can rent places here which would cost 3 or 4 times as much in Australia. For me, having a nice place to live is very important. Other people don't mind slumming it and spending their money on girls and booze. Each to their own.

BTW, 200m2 is not very expensive in Pattaya. Shop around and you may be surprised what you can find.

I actually didn't ask him but will do

5 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I actually didn't ask him but will do

It is a dangerous place, no doubt. Many years ago I had a gun pulled on me there - for my cell phone.

Archived