Are Farang coming here full time a thing of the past?

bkk6060

Who is stupid enough to live on Sukhumvit actually ? The only ones I know are totally brainless, but yes, some are rich.

I always found the brainless and poor living in 4 k fan rooms out in the burbs slagging of the guys living in up market condos in Asoke.. Actually you are one of them

Give me brainless and rich any day.. That's a no Brainer. Pun intended

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DD13 said:

Sorry I cannot agree with your Chinese observation, I was in Pattaya yesterday and there were hoards of buses disgorging them, we actually commented that there doesn't appear to be a low season this year, plenty of Russians, Middle East and Indian visitors

Perhaps, and maybe it is the number of Westeners that are dwindling.

And of course "Brits" are suffering with the pound getting pulverized by the " Brexit" fiasco??

Yes more short term tourists and less long term residents.

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

And just how, pray tell, has it become more complicated to stay here legally, long term.  I am here long term and haven't been affected one little bit, so for you to say it is safe to say does not pass the pub test. The only thing I see continually, on here, are those who don't want to abide by the rules, whinging and constantly asking others how they can side step (break) the current laws.

As for the Chinese syndrome it is not only confined to this country, they're buying up everywhere, many are taking what they can and are getting out of China, maybe sick of the Communist effect.  In so far as lots of foreigners leaving, can you provide statistics to substantiate what you are alleging and from where they were obtained.   :wai:

Gosh so because it did not affect u its not a reality? student education  visa procedure became more complicated, Visa runs amounts are now limited, SETV limitations complications , 20,000 bht rules, interrogations  of visitors at airports, notification of 24 hour whereabouts and fines all that and even more obsticles might have resulted that some overseas visitors stayed for shorter periods here that they initially planned for.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:51 PM, binjalin said:

Philippines would be the next choice. Thailand feels like it's going down and down and there is so much uncertainty the new new should be LONS  (land of no smiles).

New Zealander shot and killed in the Philippines.

"It's the third killing of a foreigner on the island by gunmen riding on motorcycles in the space of 12 months.

Last June a 74-year-old Dutch businessman was shot by a pillion passenger. His 11-year-old son was wounded but survived.

In March a former US marine was killed by motorcycle riding gunmen.

Those killed in previous deaths were driving their own vehicles when they were targeted."

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

New Zealander shot and killed in the Philippines.

"It's the third killing of a foreigner on the island by gunmen riding on motorcycles in the space of 12 months.

Last June a 74-year-old Dutch businessman was shot by a pillion passenger. His 11-year-old son was wounded but survived.

In March a former US marine was killed by motorcycle riding gunmen.

Those killed in previous deaths were driving their own vehicles when they were targeted."

Yikes! That's not far from where I stay when I'm over there. It was on Biliran Island.

I don't think these reports mean much though, in terms of comparisons - People are often killed in Thailand.

40 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes more short term tourists and less long term residents.

You wouldn't need to do surveys to figure it out. Immigration has tightened up so much over the last 10 years it's not surprising at all. When I first came here I was juggling tourist visas. I couldn't do that now. You could go to Penang and get a 3 entry tourist visa good for 9 months and then go back and get another. Back then you could do endless 30-day visa runs to the border. The only drama was filling up your passport too quickly. :smile:

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

You wouldn't need to do surveys to figure it out. Immigration has tightened up so much over the last 10 years it's not surprising at all. When I first came here I was juggling tourist visas. I couldn't do that now. You could go to Penang and get a 3 entry tourist visa good for 9 months and then go back and get another.

They prefer short term holidaymakers  more then longer staying residents at least this is how it cones across.

My Wife has noticed a lot less Farangs in the last 3-4 years, she rents out condos, many are  looking for 6  months or less presumably as staying longer than that is  now a  lot more difficult.

Could also be the "good ole days" of  great pensions  is now gone for many, combine with exchange rates making it more expensive, probably combination of many things

39 minutes ago, kannot said:

My Wife has noticed a lot less Farangs in the last 3-4 years, she rents out condos, many are  looking for 6  months or less presumably as staying longer than that is  now a  lot more difficult.

Could also be the "good ole days" of  great pensions  is now gone for many, combine with exchange rates making it more expensive, probably combination of many things

Which is good news for longer stayers as it's easier to get deals... but yes, long term tenants (1 year or more), particularly in the higher price brackets are becoming difficult to find.

My mate an old military pal has been coming to Thailand since early 80's.

He is still working in Mid East and even he says Thailand is pricing itself out of the market.

BKK frightens him with what girls want, drinks and whatever.

Cowboy and his like where too successful in creating the US bar scene in Thailand.

Now Thailand is priced for tourists, a once in a lifetime visit, not for the old Mid East Oil Trash and ex mil who came eventually to settle in what was once a green and pleasant land.

john

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

Foreigners with your attitude are one of the worst aspects of living in Thailand.

When you pour contempt on those who choose to live an "enhanced" Thai lifestyle (it doesn't take much foreign cash to do that) you are, in fact, pouring contempt on the Thai people themselves.

That's why, over the years, the Thais have learned to loathe your kind.

Your money is still very welcome.......but that's all.

you really think that by living like somchai on 200 baht a week is what the locals think is cool? sleeping on a coconut mat in a sweat box room for 3k per month washing your pants whilst you shower etc?

To simply exist in the country isn't enough by anyones standards, all well and good doing it for a few months if you're saving up for something or awaiting some money but those that live hand to mouth as foreigners inevitably end up needing money at some stage due to ill health or something and that's what makes those people desperate....

I couldn't afford to stay living in Thailand in the end and made the choice to go back home.... great place if you have money which means freedom of choice... awful place if you don't have any and end up being a prisoner.

Foreigners that refuse to accept their time has come to an end are deluded, end up overstaying and is why you see so many suicides etc 

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

I can rent places here which would cost 3 or 4 times as much in Australia. For me, having a nice place to live is very important. Other people don't mind slumming it and spending their money on girls and booze. Each to their own.

Yes totally correct of which i stated as much in my answer although in a different manner

1 hour ago, tropo said:

No, you're missing the point, which is easy to do with the new forum format where you don't see the original quote that I was replying to.

To a point you are correct because if you had read the previous quote to the one you were referring to you would see that someone had made a totally irrelevant statement on the cost of rent in a very expensive area of Bangkok.

Not wanting to go too in depth, this lead to the hijacking of the original thread (normal procedure).

My point being, when people retire they no longer have the same budget that they had in there originating country and in order to enjoy life in the manner they wish they may have to live in a 32m2 condo, as many do ( I stated much earlier i would tire of that eventually myself)

Your budget is sufficient to enable that luxury but not for many. Be honest to yourself and look at how you worded your answer and how it comes across. my answer was a little tongue-in-cheek to express that as you know(with a little bit of sarcasm) sorry

200m2 is obviously a  large 2 story house, what would you consider not very expensive?

In response to the OP's question, I'm assuming he's talking about Anglo types and Europeans, and my impression is that yes, maybe it's down somewhat but I'm not entirely sure. How could we know? I guess some large operators in the condo sales biz might have a more informed opinion. I definitely would say it's not OVER though. 

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Gosh so because it did not affect u its not a reality? student education  visa procedure became more complicated, Visa runs amounts are now limited, SETV limitations complications , 20,000 bht rules, interrogations  of visitors at airports, notification of 24 hour whereabouts and fines all that and even more obsticles might have resulted that some overseas visitors stayed for shorter periods here that they initially planned for.

All them things are an easy fix compared to many places. And many loopholes still.

Many dont have the money you would need for marriage, but they still leave open a way to get visa.

Probably  in future when for the long visa classes they will enforce a need of 400/800k baht in a bank for everyone.

Then well see some crying on thaivisa!

2 hours ago, tropo said:

hotel management fails to report you, you are still responsible.

Do you have first hand knowledge of this, there have been a number of reports where hoteliers have been fined but not together with the tourist?

They are still coming here to retire just not in the numbers like they use too. Overheard an American guy this morning at breakfast saying he was trying it out and checking things out with the view of retirement. Why wouldn't you? You can still live here quite cheap.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, whitemouse said:

It's probably difficult to notice new faces, but you are probably right, less people move here permanently. I know foreigners here who stay all winter, 5-6 months, but leave in spring. 

It seems many retirees who moved here sold their property in faranglands, in order to buy here, and they stay here all year. But now many are renting, and keeping property back home, with rents so low, anyone can easily stay here as long as they like (visa difficulties notwithstanding) and go back for Australia, Europe as they please. I always see more tanned foreigners in the winter,  clearly not 2 week tourists, and after Songkran far fewer. Climate refugees basically 

IMO a lot of farangs moving to LOS did so after getting divorced and splitting the house proceeds with the ex back when the pound was a lot higher against the baht. Perhaps there is less equivalent Thai baht to be made off such windfalls now.

Also, they might be going elsewhere in LOS because Pattaya is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

1 hour ago, lormakmak said:

you really think that by living like somchai on 200 baht a week is what the locals think is cool? sleeping on a coconut mat in a sweat box room for 3k per month washing your pants whilst you shower etc?

To simply exist in the country isn't enough by anyones standards, all well and good doing it for a few months if you're saving up for something or awaiting some money but those that live hand to mouth as foreigners inevitably end up needing money at some stage due to ill health or something and that's what makes those people desperate....

I couldn't afford to stay living in Thailand in the end and made the choice to go back home.... great place if you have money which means freedom of choice... awful place if you don't have any and end up being a prisoner.

Foreigners that refuse to accept their time has come to an end are deluded, end up overstaying and is why you see so many suicides etc 

Perhaps staying till they can't and then offing themselves is preferable to going back to some awful place just because it's the home country. Sometimes living is worse than death.

2 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Yes totally correct of which i stated as much in my answer although in a different manner

To a point you are correct because if you had read the previous quote to the one you were referring to you would see that someone had made a totally irrelevant statement on the cost of rent in a very expensive area of Bangkok.

Not wanting to go too in depth, this lead to the hijacking of the original thread (normal procedure).

My point being, when people retire they no longer have the same budget that they had in there originating country and in order to enjoy life in the manner they wish they may have to live in a 32m2 condo, as many do ( I stated much earlier i would tire of that eventually myself)

Your budget is sufficient to enable that luxury but not for many. Be honest to yourself and look at how you worded your answer and how it comes across. my answer was a little tongue-in-cheek to express that as you know(with a little bit of sarcasm) sorry

200m2 is obviously a  large 2 story house, what would you consider not very expensive?

It's hard to grasp your logic as it's all over the place. You also attributed my comment to another member.

In an earlier post, you mentioned: "but no need to knock people that can't or feel it not that important" ...  How you drew the conclusion that I'm knocking anyone is beyond me. What makes you so sensitive that you think that? I don't knock anyone who chooses or has to live in 32m2. Just because I couldn't or wouldn't doesn't mean I'm knocking them.

Condos are expensive. You can find much larger living areas in houses and townhouses, at the same price.

Although I was lucky to find a large condo at a good price, 200m2 condos are usually over my budget. You are correct, it would normally be a house or townhouse. I would consider 200m2 to be a small 2 story house. That's a footprint of only 10m2. That's hardly large by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, if you're coming from 32m2 it would seem huge by comparison.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In response to the OP's question, I'm assuming he's talking about Anglo types and Europeans, and my impression is that yes, maybe it's down somewhat but I'm not entirely sure. How could we know? I guess some large operators in the condo sales biz might have a more informed opinion. I definitely would say it's not OVER though. 

Wife networks with at least another 50  other agents in BKK including big  names like cbre etc and its down substantially

15 minutes ago, kannot said:

Wife networks with at least another 50  other agents in BKK including big  names like cbre etc and its down substantially

Heard the same thing early last year when I was looking for a place in BKK. I know of two Thai agents who had to get other work because of the lack of farang customers.

Multiple posts that are now hijacking the topic have been removed. The topic is about:

Are Farang coming here full time a thing of the past?

It is not about TM 30 forms and reporting which is being discusssed HERE already

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Also, they might be going elsewhere in LOS because Pattaya is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

More than a couple from my rather small circle of Pattaya long-time lurkers, ex- SEALs, former bar owners, MSC, helicopter mechanics, transitory Moto GP team members, erstwhile TEFL'ers, itinerant oilfield trash and other hangers on have decided that Udon Thani is as good as it's gonna get.

FYI, AirAsia now has two flights daily serving the Udon Thani - U Tapao route so anyone having withdrawal issues can now get their short-time (daytime is playtime) fix rather than the long-time (all night) option. All for as little as 2000 baht r/t.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO a lot of farangs moving to LOS did so after getting divorced and splitting the house proceeds with the ex back when the pound was a lot higher against the baht. Perhaps there is less equivalent Thai baht to be made off such windfalls now.

You found a better place, right? Where in Thailand is it as good as it used to be?  

Unless you're here for beaches, as your name implies - you can do a lot better than Pattaya, for sure.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Just curious about the Russians. Are they retiring here full time and is that increasing or decreasing. They certainly bought lots of condos, at least put down payments on them ... 

My understanding after talking to some of the Russian owners is they rent out to fellow Russians,  I think most of the Russians you see here that are not living in a hotel are using AirBNB or just rent a condo for a  few weeks or months .   They don't buy as many condos as they used to .  

23 hours ago, tropo said:

Yikes! That's not far from where I stay when I'm over there. It was on Biliran Island.

I don't think these reports mean much though, in terms of comparisons - People are often killed in Thailand.

For sure they get killed here. Also just as likely to get stabbed in the heid by a drunken bampot ootside the chippy in the Gorbals on a wet Saturday night as well.

My admonition was solely for those that handily but sadly claim that the PI is a safer alternative to LOS.

36 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

For sure they get killed here. Also just as likely to get stabbed in the heid by a drunken bampot ootside the chippy in the Gorbals on a wet Saturday night as well.

My admonition was solely for those that handily but sadly claim that the PI is a safer alternative to LOS.

I wouldn't claim that. I feel safer here. If I die here it will more likely be on the road than from a bullet.

17 hours ago, tropo said:

You found a better place, right? Where in Thailand is it as good as it used to be?  

Unless you're here for beaches, as your name implies - you can do a lot better than Pattaya, for sure.

Pattaya used to be a lot better than now, while many places in LOS were always crappy, and haven't got better.

Never been to Issan, so I make no claim about there, but certainly, if I had my wish i'd be living in the north/ north east of Phangan- as close to Paradise as ever I found, anywhere

Anyway, if I had to live in a city, I'd stay in Pattaya. It may not be as good as it used to be, but it is better than other places I've been. At least it has a life after 10 pm.

Archived