How Would You Make Thailand A Better Place ?

phazey

What would it be?

Mine:

Stricter Immigration to screen ( and deny entry to ) people of undesirable nature.

Promote equality amongst all residents and ex-pats alike.

Encourage proper health & safety regulations for both health and enviroment.

Lets see how this one goes..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you, making Thailand a better place means making it more western, more equality, more health care,...

Making Thailand more western can not stop at a few social improvements, you can not choose what you like in the western world and discard what you do not like.

Everything will come to Thailand one day, not only a few western social benefits.

Will it make Thailand a better place? Sure. For Thai people.

For farang? Maybe, depending on why you are here for,...

A serious answer!

Since hearing of all the child molesting apparantly going on in Thailand, I propose we set up/join a paedophile watch program and be more vigilant. Maybe Thaivisa should spawn a forum on this topic?

Phazey, I dont believe that we should promote equality amongst all residents and ex-pats alike - If we were all the same, it would be pretty boring and.... Im a capatilist!

I think number one would be increased standard for education at all levels, including tradesman and other occpational training.

Second wound be more environmental consciousness to try and recapture Thailand's natural beauty and preserve natural resourses.

Try to reinstill the true values and standards of Theraveda Buddhism... :o

I suppose i should have given the topic some further thought. But i stand by my points -

Bluecat: how would charging someone (a ferrang) above the going rate be considered more western ? - the equality thing (from my point of view) has come from 1) being ripped off, and 2) being rejected entry to a (what i see) a tourist destination.

I don't see a hint of "become western now" in my statement. just fairer.

Point 1) the gent touched on this one. alough i feel an online lynch mob is about as useful as a snooze button on a smoke alarm.

Point 3) try pushing a stroller around.....i did and i failed. (and i tripped etc) but thats just a moot point.

The aim of this topic was not "Thailand is a crap place" - dont missunderstand me.

If this topic offends, i will second anyone who requests the admins to lock it - my appologies. It was not my intention.

Too be honest, get rid of the more sleezy foreigners..

I hate being harranged by some moron that wants to sell me a time share condo, or is asking for money. In my opinion if you get rid of these people, the Thais might actually have a better opinion of us.

To make Thailand a better place they should arrnage for free beer, free accommodation, free transport, free massage and free food for all. They should also arrange to have a shorter hot dry season. Snow on the mountains. Good surfing within an hour of Bangkok. Four day working weeks and 8 weeks holiday a year ! :o

I agree with Pepe that the key to all changes needed is a better alround education system, because without good basic education, you cannot have a functioning democracy where people understand why certain uncomfortable decisions have to be made. Protecting the environment means that entrepreneurial freedom has to be curbed to some extent, and it also means upsetting people of some areas.

If the government put systems into place to be able to tax more than 40% of their tax base, that would be a start.

The major block to most changes though, is corruption. And I DON'T know how to get rid of that, since it permeates the entire social fabric of this country.

A good example: A few years ago, when I came to study Thai with a few friends of mine, we rented a small house together. Our neighbour was an old Thai uncle who sort of took us under his wing. The first night we downed a good deal of whisky together, Uncle Greg got started.

"Thailand no good. Thailand corruption, yoe maak."

We then tried to reassure him, that Thailand is at least better than Cambodia or Burma, but he would not have it.

"Thailand same same Burma, same same Cambodia. Thailand corruption yae ja taai."

Then, after some more discussions, Uncle Greg said.

"If you have problem with the police, you can call my friend. He can help. He is chief of police."

This is the situation in a nut shell I think... and what do you do about it??? I am really at a loss. Even Internal Affairs and the anti-corruption committees seem to be corrupt!

Is there a way out? :o

as a start how about.

introducing real and sensible traffic laws and inforcing them 100%,

DRIVING TESTS FOR ALL NEW DRIVERS.

crackdown on underage sex abuse.

curfew for all the little ******* that zoom about in gangs everynight and fine the families for letting their kids do this.

god i could go on for hours.

davethailand: Excellent suggestion but don't agree with the means of implementing it.

Assume your goal is to improve Thai adherence to traffic laws which derivatively would decrease the accident rate and make driving more pleasant for all.

Traffic enforcement is my suggestion. Flood the streets with traffic cops who write tickets for violations. This would generate enough income to pay for the cops, hit the Thai in the pocket book for bad driving behaviour and make all enjoy driving more, (ie. no ticket today). Help with unemployment, or under-employment of cops, as well.

My pen rai is an appealing attitude engaged in by Thais, but it lies at the core of most "undesireable" features of Thailand, ie. corruption, traffic violators, bad apples in the government and sloppy service at every turn.

I think number one would be increased standard for education at all levels, including tradesman and other occpational training.

Agree, Pepe.

Education is key.

Not specific to Thailand.

Means education accessible to everybody,...

There was a French Education Minister who said once when accused of having an inflated budget : You think education is expensive? Try "ignorance",...

'sloppy service at every turn.'

Now there is a big problem.

Not aids.

Not unemployment.

Not equality for women.

Not premium education.

Sloppy Service.

Hit the nail on the head.

Sounds like you've got something to say. So what would you change, pray tell?

Sure, isn't this country, LOS, for Thai people

to enjoy and develop as they choose.

Are our suggested ends practical for them.

Do we really need another 'imitation' European

smug community, or a Yankee look-a-like

cookie cutter copy.

Thailand is perfect because it belongs to Thai people.

If they want advice they will ask for it.

No need to stick problems under their nose.

Someone mentions 'sloppy service ' as a problem

doen't understand Thailand.

Like can you imagine Thai people in say, Germany,

having a chat on line about making

Germany a better place?

Only white folk dream the dream.

My pen rai is an appealing attitude engaged in by Thais, but it lies at the core of most "undesireable" features of Thailand, ie. corruption, traffic violators, bad apples in the government and sloppy service at every turn.

Isn't the problem here a difficult, cultural one? To me, an Englishman, repeating instructions back to ensure they are understood is commendable. To Thais, so doing seems to violate the ideal that 'one word is enough'.

Bad News, are you Thai?

Are you racist?

As hard as it is to accept, throughout history, the "white man" has had some pretty good ideas. And like it or not, Thailand will eventually be westernized.

Get over it...

But why?

Why would you want Thailand westernized?

So it is more sociable for you.

So you can get Marmite, Bud or Durex condoms

at any store.

Sure 'white ' ideas are pretty good.

So are Asian and Thai ideas...

have you had one recently?

Why is it that Thais must be Westernized

and not the reverse.

That is the real racism my friend, in any colour. :o

BadNews,

I don't have any idea what Thai people are doing in Germany - do you? - if they want to start a web forum to discuss what they like and don't like in Germany, they can be my guest to do so, in fact, anyone in any country should have the right to do so, because the best ideas are created through discussion and sharing your thoughts. I hope they contact the authorities there as well, and explain to them their ideas.

You can of course sit here and tell us we are racists because we suggest improvements for this country, but I think that is pretty unfair.

If you are Thai, why not work with us instead of against us. I don't want Thailand to be the same as my home country, and I definitely do not want it to emulate the USA too much, but I think there are many things that could be changed for the better of all of us, Thai and foreigners alike. I want to see a peaceful society with good education and opportunities for all here.

What do you want to see?

I don't know if you are Thai, who you are, or where you're from, but one difference between your thoughts and mine is that I appreciate good ideas, no matter who comes with them, and I am careful with calling people bad names without really knowing who they are or where they come from. I am even more careful with making sweeping statements such as yours which suggest that all white-skinned people are imperialists.

Still waiting for your constructive ideas.

here's another suggestion.

bet i get slagged off for this one.

The police/immagration should crack down with zero tolerence on excessive overstayers, and immigration laws in general, i know they are trying to do this already but it could be improved.

I take great care to make sure everything about myself and my business is 100% legal, but because of overstayers and the false visa offices etc it makes life harder for the expats that live here legally.

surely it is no hardship to do visa runs if it means you are legal.

the idiots that don't and break the law should be punished.

I have to agree with Bad News on some of his points. Don't change (westernize) Thailand. He says: "Why is it that Thais must be Westernized and not the reverse." I have seen what happens when when farangs try to change the Thai way of doing things. You don't get anywhere! I accepted it that I have to pay tea money if I want something done without too much hassle. Besides, Thai compensations are so low that I can understand where the corruption comes from. Man has to do something to earn more money. Especially the police. They must be some of the worst paid law enforcers in the world.

Another post said: "I definitely do not want it to emulate the USA too much". How much is too much? It should not not emulate the USA at all!

This is not a racist thing, and I should know. This is a cultural thing and there is a difference. Thailand would not be Thailand if it was anything else. Thailand have never been colonized in all its history. Lets not try to do that now.

I am sure the Thai goverment is aware of its problems - so let them sort it out. That is what they are paid to do :o .