Name added to Wrong Book; Blue instead of yellow

couldnt believe it, mistake somewhere; with new address , land in wife's name; the amphoe added my name to the Blue Taabian baan rather than issue me a new yellow one; will this cause me an issue down the road ? wife just says 'keep quiet' but i doubt she could foresee any problems; thoughts ?

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It might not be accepted when you try to use it for something.

good point; will try it on bank accounts, driver license and such and bring passport along just as backup; would try it with our local immigration but that might be too risky

I recall reading in a post here regarding all the farang owners in a housing developpment, obviously on leasehold,  who got a blue book with their names, despite it not being the standard procedure....

Edited by observer90210

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

Most places seem happy with photocopies. Could they tell any difference?

Yes, it is easily possible to tell the difference between black-and-white photocopies of page 1 of my blue and yellow house registration books. The yellow book has printed text to the left of the page number at the bottom of the page, the blue book has not.

update;might help someone: i was told wrong Even tho i asked Twice beforehand;

i eventually got a YELLOW book (took 4 visits and 7 weeks); then , surprisingly , i was ,then on the spot ,instructed to get an "ID CARD"' , the pink one; with photo, on the spot, thai number (starting with a '6'; meaning non-thai)  and thai name (which they screwed up) written in thai, which i cannot read; as well as thai address;

as i am over 60, this combination (yellow book and id card) is lifetime;

my , not always accurate, thai wife told me that after 2 years, i can qualify , like any thai, for virtually free health care at public hospitals; i was instructed to use the pair at the same time, together;

60 baht , presumably for the photo;

might in the slightest way legitimize me as a non-tourist in the eyes of some thai; bank accounts,driver license, maybe local immigration; doubt it can hurt...

btw , the yellow book is in thai, i had thought english beforehand; numbers that are there are in english;

cheap form of 2nd picture id; suppose it might substitute for passport; only can try;

we hear that the passport numbers are linked in the thai immigration databases; i wonder if i use this new form of ID whether that too will/can be linked (example; hotel checkins)

Edited by YetAnother

Your wife has been watching Bernie sanders....don't kid yourself.....but yellow is good for bank accounts that might otherwise require a WP. Mine took a number ofvisirs, too.  Had to have pp translated 300 THB, and I gave them a copy of my condo chinote...sonow all three have the same Thai spelling...that was before pink card...I may do that soon.  60 is fair...yellow was also welcomed at the revenue office....

12 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

The blue can only use for Thai citizen with Thai blue ID as a long stay foreigner, we can only apply and own the yellow house book + pink ID.

Not true!

A foreigner with a residents permit  (PR) can be included in a blue house book.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Not true!

A foreigner with a residents permit  (PR) can be included in a blue house book.

The clarification should be as follows maybe?

Blue book: A non-Thai with PR can be included in a blue book that will typically have a Thai national identified as primary resident that remains in the possession of the primary resident.

Blue book: A non-Thai owner of a condo will be included in and in possession of a blue book that will NOT have any person, Thai or otherwise, identified as primary resident.

Yellow book: A non-Thai with or without a Thai spouse, either domiciled with a Thai partner in his/her primary residence (blue book address) or in a lease afforded via a usufruct, or living alone in a rental property is entitled to a Yellow Book. However, this is highly dependent on the support of the home owner (named in the Blue book) and local Amphur's willingness to pursue and/or knowledge of the correct issuing procedure. 

Back to the OP: if he doesn't have PR, the presence of the name in the Blue book is probably invalid and possibly illegal. Just because someone at an Amphur's office made a mistake, this doesn't obviate the OP's duty to make sure that his name is removed, more so if there's absolutely nothing at all that he knows it can be used for. For example, if the Blue book is in a partners name for either a house or a property that the OP has 'gifted' to the Thai partner, I would be very suspect of why his name was permitted to be entered in the Blue book.

Similar to the guy who recently got the completely wrong duration of stay stamp in his passport (arrived on non-exempt NO VISA entry but the IO stamped him with 'TR' visa and 60-day'), if he stays longer than 30-days, they will fine him on departure for illegal overstay, despite the fact the wrong stamp/classification was placed in his passport on arrival.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Blue book: A non-Thai with PR can be included in a blue book that will typically have a Thai national identified as primary resident that remains in the possession of the primary resident.

This might not be true in all cases. My blue book (issued in 2535) has me listed as the primary householder with no Thai nationals involved.

44 minutes ago, Boksida said:

This might not be true in all cases. My blue book (issued in 2535) has me listed as the primary householder with no Thai nationals involved.

I did say 'maybe?'

So you got Blue book in your name in 1992? The OP says he's in his wife's Blue book. Maybe you're in the same town?

If they hope to contribute anything to discussions, some people need to stop playing Secret Squirrel on where they live since it's well known that there are absolutely no constants in LOS.

Edited by NanLaew

45 minutes ago, Boksida said:

Have you used it to enable or get anything that a Yellow book would enable or get you?

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Have you used it to enable or get anything that a Yellow book would enable or get you?

I can't think of anything offhand where I have been required to use a Tabian Baan - maybe for opening bank accounts, registering vehicles etc? I assume any type of book would work for that. I can't recall ever having a yellow one so cannot comment on what the differences would be.

The original purpose of doing it dates back to the bad old days when Thai women married to foreigners were not allowed to own land plus a few other discriminatory practices, so it was useful to be in separate books.

As for your comment about Secret Squirrels, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Blue book: A non-Thai owner of a condo will be included in and in possession of a blue book that will NOT have any person, Thai or otherwise, identified as primary resident.

Maybe.

I assume the above-quoted part of your post refers to non-Thais who are not Permanent Residents, ie are not holders of an immigrant visa. If I remember correctly, there was one non-PR member who posted that although his name was not listed in his blue book as a resident his name was entered on the last page of the book, but he did not mention if there was any other Thai text added on that page in addition to his name. The poster mentioned the district where this happened but I forgot the name, hence it may indeed be possible, in that context, to be included in a blue book depending on the district office.

31 minutes ago, Boksida said:

The original purpose of doing it dates back to the bad old days when Thai women married to foreigners were not allowed to own land plus a few other discriminatory practices, so it was useful to be in separate books.

As for your comment about Secret Squirrels, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

Maybe some Amphurs (like yours) were more flexible than others in this regard and happily but discretely issued a couple of Blue books, one for each partner? I can a see where a Thai spouse may benefit from having a Blue book in her maiden name but not so sure about giving one for the farang. Of course it could be simply that your Amphur didn't have any Yellow books and thought this was easier. The ultimate criteria when it comes to personal ID for a Thai national is the national ID card but I would not be surprised if two (one in each name) could be offered to Thai ladies with foreign partners. Thank goodness Thaksin kicked that one into touch.

No problem if you don't want to say which Amphur facilitated this way back in 1992. The OP hasn't either.

16 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Maybe.

I assume the above-quoted part of your post refers to non-Thais who are not Permanent Residents, ie are not holders of an immigrant visa. If I remember correctly, there was one non-PR member who posted that although his name was not listed in his blue book as a resident his name was entered on the last page of the book, but he did not mention if there was any other Thai text added on that page in addition to his name. The poster mentioned the district where this happened but I forgot the name, hence it may indeed be possible, in that context, to be included in a blue book depending on the district office.

Yes, as I said...

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The clarification should be as follows maybe?

It's all pretty much up to them what they decide to do or otherwise. There's much to be made of the exact placement of foreigners names in Blue books too apparently.

Looking at the OP again: it's not so much a 'wrong book' inasmuch as they didn't ask for or weren't offered a Yellow one.

Unsurprisingly, once again, when dealing with Thai bureaucracy, your experience can and probably will differ.

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Back to the OP: if he doesn't have PR, the presence of the name in the Blue book is probably invalid and possibly illegal. Just because someone at an Amphur's office made a mistake, this doesn't obviate the OP's duty to make sure that his name is removed, more so if there's absolutely nothing at all that he knows it can be used for.

ok; i appreciate that advice; sounds sound; something of a caveat; the pink id card that i got has a SLIGHTLY different name than my yellow book name (my real name), the middle name is similar,but not the same; might that be enough to re-go-thru that part of the process to correct the pink id card ?

15 hours ago, YetAnother said:

ok; i appreciate that advice; sounds sound; something of a caveat; the pink id card that i got has a SLIGHTLY different name than my yellow book name (my real name), the middle name is similar,but not the same; might that be enough to re-go-thru that part of the process to correct the pink id card ?

Having the correct Thai translation of your name across all documents is strongly advised if only to prevent any possible pedantry and obfuscation in later life. Your local Amphur may be rather lax in this regard but it may be picked up by another paper shuffler in another local government entity. If you already have a translation of your passport that has been used to obtain either a Thai marriage certificate or some other government certification, then best to ensure that ONLY that translation is used. Ideally, that should be the common translation that appears on marriage certificate, offspring's birth certificates (if any), Thai driving license and Yellow book. Anything that has been accepted and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should be the standard. Once you have verified which one of the Yellow book or pink ID card has the 'official' correct spelling, best to start correcting that.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:21 AM, Anthony Loh said:

Totally agree with this statement, cheers

I am on a retirement extension, my name is in the back of the blue book on the home i built

Blue book  issued 2001...Phuket

Edited by phuketrichard

19 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

I am on a retirement extension, my name is in the back of the blue book on the home i built

Blue book  issued 2001...Phuket

Good example, thanks.

Once again, the placement of the name seems significant here, ie. in the 'back' of the book. In my experience, Thai persons domiciled in any fixed abode are sequentially listed in the Blue book for that fixed abode, starting from front page and working towards the back.

Is there any other writing beyond just your name which I assume is written in Thai?

Is there a Thai 'primary' home owner/resident listed at the front of the book?