My Uk Bank Debit Card Stopped Working

uk_falang

Hi

For the past few days I have been unable to withdraw funds from my UK bank account using any ATM machine in Chiang Rai.

My friend who also has a UK bank account (different bank) has also been getting the same error.

The error reads "Transmission Error", or I get a message saying "Transaction Cancelled, contact issuing bank".

I usually get this error before I even have chance to enter PIN number.

The Internet is also incredibly slow here for many sites, I am wondering if this problem is due to the Internet outage (I thought the Inernet was designed to withstand atomic bomb).

I have tried to call my UK bank but ban holidays is closed)

Have any other people been having probmems getting money from UK accounts (my Thai bank card works fine).

Thanks

Communications in and out of Thailand has been severly effected by the fiber optic failure in Taiwan so that is probably the reason. It has not helped having the bombings in Bangkok as even more people have been trying to get though on phone and internet links.

Hi

For the past few days I have been unable to withdraw funds from my UK bank account using any ATM machine in Chiang Rai.

My friend who also has a UK bank account (different bank) has also been getting the same error.

The error reads "Transmission Error", or I get a message saying "Transaction Cancelled, contact issuing bank".

I usually get this error before I even have chance to enter PIN number.

The Internet is also incredibly slow here for many sites, I am wondering if this problem is due to the Internet outage (I thought the Inernet was designed to withstand atomic bomb).

I have tried to call my UK bank but ban holidays is closed)

Have any other people been having probmems getting money from UK accounts (my Thai bank card works fine).

Thanks

New years eve my UK debit card was coming up the same. About a couple of hours later it was OK and has been fine since. This was in Chiang Mai.

Hi UK Falang

Two thoughts to get u out of this fix, assuming you hav'nt already sorted it. Go talk to the Bank Foreign Clerk, he may well speak Engrish and use a 'swipe card' machine to get u cash. The other is, try the ATM's inside the branch as sometimes they take cards that external ones dont ??

Trust me, I'm a plumber!!!! :o:D (But I was a Bank Manager during unhappier times)

HAPPY NEW YEAR :D

I have been having the same problem in another Asian country for the last few days. Finally bit the bullet and walked an extra 500 metres to a different ATM and it worked fine.

The original ATM said "Visa and Mastercard transactions not available at this moment"

The second said, "here's your fun coupons"

Great :o

Another possibility is that the Thai financial system is on emergency mode right now, after the recent soaking of the baht following the stock market plunge following the idiotic decision to implement currency controls.

A friend of mine here on holiday found his financial plans were in trouble because he could no longer transfer funds electronically, as well. The local bank (Bangkok Bank) cited new controls stemming from the financial mess as the reason.

Amazing Thailand!

Before going to Thailand i duely phone Lloyds TSB and tell them i'll be in Thailand and please not to reject any cash withdrawls. The bank says no problem sir, you wont have any problems while your in Thailand. Every time about the 4th cash withdrawl, my card is refused. Please contact your bank message etc. A quick call to the UK gets its sorted but it is a pain.

Before going to Thailand i duely phone Lloyds TSB and tell them i'll be in Thailand and please not to reject any cash withdrawls. The bank says no problem sir, you wont have any problems while your in Thailand. Every time about the 4th cash withdrawl, my card is refused. Please contact your bank message etc. A quick call to the UK gets its sorted but it is a pain.

Funnily enough Bangkok Bank do not do this for me. I have used my card in some very obscure locations on one day (Armenian/Azeri border), then in a completely different place the next day(Gothenburg, Sweden).

I do keep track of this, but obviously BKK Bank do not.