Moscow warns new U.S. sanctions take ties into uncharted waters

webfact

Moscow warns new U.S. sanctions take ties into uncharted waters

tag-reuters.jpg

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov looks on at the start of two days of closed-door nuclear talks at the United Nations offices in Geneva October 15, 2013. REUTERS/Fabrice Coffrini/Pool/Files

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia warned on Wednesday that new U.S. sanctions against Moscow approved by the House of Representatives take already battered ties into uncharted waters and said it was close to taking retaliatory measures of its own.

Russia was responding after the U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly voted to impose new sanctions on Moscow and to force President Donald Trump to obtain lawmakers' permission before easing any sanctions on Russia.

Moscow had initially hoped that Trump would work to repair a relationship which has slumped to a post-Cold War low, but has watched with frustration as allegations that Moscow interfered with last year's U.S. presidential election and concerns over Trump associates' Russia ties have killed off hopes of detente.

Russia flatly denies the meddling accusations.

On Wednesday, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov told the Interfax news agency the latest U.S. sanctions move left no room to improve ties between Moscow and Washington in the near future and took the relationship into uncharted waters.

"This is already having an extremely negative impact on the process of normalising our relations," Ryabkov told Interfax.

U.S.-Russia relations were entering "uncharted territory in a political and diplomatic sense," he added.

Russia has repeatedly warned the United States it will retaliate against what it sees as hostile moves and Ryabkov made clear Moscow was growing tired of showing restraint.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said earlier this month that too many American spies operated in Russia under diplomatic cover and that it might expel some of them to retaliate over Washington's expulsion of 35 Russian diplomats last year.

That warning reflected rising frustration in Moscow over the Trump administration's refusal to hand back two Russian diplomatic compounds which were seized at the same time as the diplomats were sent home.

Many Russian politicians believe Trump's political opponents and Congress have successfully reduced the U.S. president's room for manoeuvre on Russia to almost nil.

Ryabkov told Interfax the new sanctions bill was the "brainchild" of U.S. Congressmen who hated Russia and wanted to box in Trump.

Konstantin Kosachyov, who heads the foreign relations committee in Russia's upper house of parliament, called on Moscow to devise a "painful" response to the U.S. move.

(Reporting by Katya Golubkova and Dmitry Solovyov; Editing by Andrew Osborn)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-26

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many in the American government have lost the plot, their paranoid behaviour is pathetic to say the least.

I only wish England speak up against them more about the US Russian conspiracy theory instead of being a US puppet.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Many in the American government have lost the plot, their paranoid behaviour is pathetic to say the least.

I only wish England speak up against them more about the US Russian conspiracy theory instead of being a US puppet.

It's not paranoid when it's REAL. Russia DID meddle. There is ZERO doubt. This can't stand without extreme PUSHBACK.

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not paranoid when it's REAL. Russia DID meddle. There is ZERO doubt. This can't stand without extreme PUSHBACK.

All the news stations l listen too keep saying where's the proof of Russia meddling and the get out is always that's classified or maybe or it's believed,  that's not good enough.

It just seems to a political layman like me that the US gov can meddle in things but that's OK.

Personally l think sanctions & rattling sabre's at Russia, China, Iran, N. Korea won't solve anything,  it will just bring out the worse. 

50 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You mean like this?  Hardly a conspiracy theory.  And England is hardly a puppet. LOL

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/coping-with-russia

Coping with Russia

Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon speaking about Russia at St Andrews University.

Russia is clearly testing NATO and the West.

It is seeking to expand its sphere of influence, destabilise countries, and weaken the Alliance. It is undermining national security for many allies and the international rules-based system.

Therefore it is in our interest and Europe’s to keep NATO strong and to deter and dissuade Russia from this course.

Hardly paranoid.

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

All the news stations l listen too keep saying where's the proof of Russia meddling and the get out is always that's classified or maybe or it's believed,  that's not good enough.

It just seems to a political layman like me that the US gov can meddle in things but that's OK.

Personally l think sanctions & rattling sabre's at Russia, China, Iran, N. Korea won't solve anything,  it will just bring out the worse. 

There's no denying Russia hacked the US election systems.  No denying.  That's called meddling.  This isn't about the US meddling, which it does.  But about Moscow and their incursions into Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova, etc.  At some point, you've got to take a stand.  Luckily,  Sir Fallon seems to be doing just that.

56 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

read the details of the "extreme pushback" and then decide whether to weep or laugh out loudly.

9 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You mean like this?  Hardly a conspiracy theory.  And England is hardly a puppet. LOL

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/coping-with-russia   Hardly paranoid.

You can laugh out loud as much as you like,  l would just laugh at someone would believe a politician and his staged rhetoric.

There's always two sides to a story and what Micky mouse Fallon spouts is hypocritical.

" Yet despite an inquiry showing that the plane was shot down by a Russian provided missile, Russia denied it and continues to do so."

Yes because Russian missile was supplied to someone and the use of that Russian missile by Russia was decommissioned a long time ago, l guess he forgot to say that.

Enough with the diversion. The topic concerns Russian meddling. Yes I'm sure Putin and trumpist propaganda "news" sources say it did not happen.

Russia has repeatedly warned the United States it will retaliate against what it sees as hostile moves and Ryabkov made clear Moscow was growing tired of showing restraint.

You mean we finally get to see Trump's pee videos?

If they exist not sure how it would ever benefit Putin to ever let them flow forth. More power in holding them against trump.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You can laugh out loud as much as you like,  l would just laugh at someone would believe a politician and his staged rhetoric.

There's always two sides to a story and what Micky mouse Fallon spouts is hypocritical.

" Yet despite an inquiry showing that the plane was shot down by a Russian provided missile, Russia denied it and continues to do so."

Yes because Russian missile was supplied to someone and the use of that Russian missile by Russia was decommissioned a long time ago, l guess he forgot to say that.

So you are saying Russia doesn't meddle in other counties politics?

Moronic move by the warmongers in the US congress. The US meddles in the internal affairs and democracy of every country on earth. Really these corrupt congressmen should appoint a congressional delegation look for the their missing IQs, which were not too high to begin with.

Russia need to respond in a dramatic fashion or there will be a another phoney war based on no evidence at all with plenty of evidence in US meddling in Ukraine and organising a coup. They should consider seizing all US corporate assets in Russia (McDs Starbucks and any oil or oil service companies). They should also kick the CIA out of the embassy and take the holiday dacha back, stop the sales of rocket engines to Nasa etc.

So just what will the little snot nose Putin do in response to this? Stop buying something? What?, Stop selling something? What?, He has no marbles in his bag that the west can't live without.  Maybe he will send some americans home,  thats OK.  If you mess with the bull you get the horn Putin.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Enough with the diversion. The topic concerns Russian meddling. Yes I'm sure Putin and trumpist propaganda "news" sources say it did not happen.

OK l don't think Vad Putin is the threat that some US citizens think he is talking to American citizens that l've spoken with visiting my village and l emphasize the US  gov also maybe Trump is more of a threat, Vad Putin is not l think the Devil they think he is that's how l see it.

Edited by Kwasaki

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

So you are saying Russia doesn't meddle in other counties politics?

Yes ,  you don't have to be that naïve to know no more than US , UK,  Germany, China,  and maybe many more in this more advanced digital age.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

So just what will the little snot nose Putin do in response to this? Stop buying something? What?, Stop selling something? What?, He has no marbles in his bag that the west can't live without.  Maybe he will send some americans home,  thats OK.  If you mess with the bull you get the horn Putin.

where's the horn pray tell? Putin took the Crimea back after the coup in the Ukraine because the next step would have been that the Russian fleet loses its only non-arctic port which has a high strategic value. since three years the dogs are howling but they are afraid to bite. sanctions? ... my àrse! :tongue:

If you want to understand Russia and Putin and what a crooked show they run,  and if you want to understand the money behind why they supported Trump, you must read the New York Times bestseller "Red Notice" by Bill Browder.  The real back story about the murder of Sergie Magninsky, the namesake of the Magninsky Act that put the screws to Putin's government/mafia cronies and hit them where it hurt. 

Bring on the pee pee tapes!  555

2 hours ago, Naam said:

where's the horn pray tell? Putin took the Crimea back after the coup in the Ukraine because the next step would have been that the Russian fleet loses its only non-arctic port which has a high strategic value. since three years the dogs are howling but they are afraid to bite. sanctions? ... my àrse! :tongue:

What can Putin do with this strategic port that might effect the USA or NATO that would be a big threat? Obviously the US or NATO is not in the position to stop Russia from taking bits and pieces of the Soviet Union back without confronting them militarily, but they can hurt him and his people gravely with sanctions and have. Like I said, his marble bag is empty unless of course he wants to go for broke. Maybe he will, I doubt it.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Seems like all we know is that according to the US Intelligence Services, the Russians attempted to hack into the DNC and RNC servers and email accounts of some political operatives. Further that they evidently used social media to place fake news stories about candidates. While certainly there needs to be better security what did we really suffer?  With regard to the emails, we learn some truth about one party's operations which were not favorable. While I am all for dealing with the Russians appropriately,  if the new wave of interference is putting fake stories on Facebook, etc. to influence elections because the American voters are so stupid as to believe what they read in social media or comments posted by people following twitter and blogs, I say well, it might be better than death and destruction through military means. When I see some kind of collusion proved in court, I will believe it, but not until then.  

I never cease to be amazed at the outrage shown by some with the idea that Russia meddled in US elections. Why wouldn't they?  I have lost count of the times in US history that the US has meddled in other countries elections and politics, supporting dictators and at times supported out right military actions to further its interests. Overthrow of the Iranian government in the 50's to put the Shaw in power,  Bay of Pigs fiasco, assassination of Diem in Vietnam, Gulf of Tonkin incident, Iraq weapons of mass destruction, Libya, Syria, Iran-Contra Nicaragua, the list goes on and on. We will never know the number of CIA operations that took place to influence outcomes of elections around the world.

Yes the Pot calls the Kettle black. i have no doubt Russia uses all means to get an outcome seemingly favorable to it in other nations elections . So do the USA, UK, France, China etc.

Did Russia blatently interfere in the US elections "Yes no Maybe".

Did not Obama try and influence the outcome of the Brexit vote?

Did not the USA again extol a view in the hope of swaying French voters.

My Country NZ has elections in September do I expect the USA, Britain and big brother Oz to interfere hell yes why would you reverse Policy of the past 100 years.

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes ,  you don't have to be that naïve to know no more than US , UK,  Germany, China,  and maybe many more in this more advanced digital age.

I've got no idea what your trying to say. LOL

1 hour ago, Kiwiken said:

Yes the Pot calls the Kettle black. i have no doubt Russia uses all means to get an outcome seemingly favorable to it in other nations elections . So do the USA, UK, France, China etc.

Did Russia blatently interfere in the US elections "Yes no Maybe".

Did not Obama try and influence the outcome of the Brexit vote?

Did not the USA again extol a view in the hope of swaying French voters.

My Country NZ has elections in September do I expect the USA, Britain and big brother Oz to interfere hell yes why would you reverse Policy of the past 100 years.

Russia 100% interfered in the US elections.  There's no "maybe". 

There's a huge difference between making a speech indicating your opinion and that of your country versus hacking into their computers and putting the details up on the public internet.  Then denying you did it and calling it fake news.  Right?

10 hours ago, retarius said:

Moronic move by the warmongers in the US congress. The US meddles in the internal affairs and democracy of every country on earth. Really these corrupt congressmen should appoint a congressional delegation look for the their missing IQs, which were not too high to begin with.

Russia need to respond in a dramatic fashion or there will be a another phoney war based on no evidence at all with plenty of evidence in US meddling in Ukraine and organising a coup. They should consider seizing all US corporate assets in Russia (McDs Starbucks and any oil or oil service companies). They should also kick the CIA out of the embassy and take the holiday dacha back, stop the sales of rocket engines to Nasa etc.

Please show me where the US hacked into a foreign country's election computers and then published the results on the internet.  And then called it fake news when it was discovered.  Please.

And show me one country the US has invaded and KEPT territory from a sovereign nation.  With this century, please. LOL

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Crimea a river, Moscow.

Maybe Putin and his minions should have thought twice before meddling the U.S. elections.

They did a massive amount of damage to the U.S. democracy with their dirty tricks.

Karma time. 

I agree with you Jingthing. However I don't have any confidence Congress will do much to protect America or the American way of life. 45 is diminishing rule of law and inching toward dictatorship and (R) party (stands for Russia) is condoning his actions. They are revealing how they lust for power/money more than democracy. 

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Us sanctions there would make EU very unhappy.

Agreed. And perhaps just what Russia wanted. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/26/opinions/russia-sanctions-connolly-opinion/index.html

Russia has waited three years for a way to divide the West

The view from Moscow -- despite the shrill reaction of lawmakers and foreign policy officials -- is likely to be relaxed. While the sanctions imposed in 2014 caused some disruption to the Russian economy, the overall cost was modest, and Russia adjusted to the new economic reality. The proposed new sanctions are, if implemented in their current form, bound to cause further disruption. But this would be more than compensated for by the creation of the first real trans-Atlantic split since 2014.