Illegal entrant claims dual citizenship at border

snoop1130

Illegal entrant claims dual citizenship at border

By Chatchawan Sopapan 
The Nation

7da82d07a36e919794928df90596c314-atwb.jpeg

A foreigner was arrested in the border province of Sa Kaew on Wednesday for illegally entering Thailand.

Thai officials spotted Hamish Frazee Mikhail, 20, as he was going under the wire border fence into Thailand. 

The foreigner claimed he had tried to sneak in because Cambodian officials had confiscated his American passport, making it impossible for him to leave Cambodia via legitimate means. 

But Thai officials found a Canadian passport in his possession, after which Mikhail described himself as having dual citizenship. His Canadian passport had a proper visa stamp to enter Cambodia, which was issued in Vietnam. 

Records show Mikhail entered Thailand at Suvarnabhumi Airport on January 31 and left for Laos on February 23. 

Thai authorities are now seeking information from both Cambodia and the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok to check Mikhail’s claims. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321883

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-26

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see what dual citizenship does in support of his brazen escapade. I guess it depends which embassy comes to his "aid". God knows why his US pp was confiscated. Seems like the type of bloke that likes to live on the edge. 6month in Khlom Prem will show him the other side of life!

19 minutes ago, jabsjabs said:

Has dual Canadian and American citizenship?

Ya right!

Its not the easiest thing to do

Depends on where he was born and what is skills are.  Canadian citizenship was not difficult if you qualified on points - it use to take 3 years of residency and was fairly quick (I think it is 4 of 5 years now).  The US one would be more difficult and longer (partially because the immigration system is such a mess).  If he got or had the US one, then got the Canadian one (or had parents born of both countries).  So it depends on circumstance. Not a very smart lie if it is not true - it takes a matter of days at most to confirm.

So it is just a question of where to deport him to and how long he will remain in limbo in detention.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

6 minutes ago, Danang said:

I guess he said it cos he thought it was a clever excuse if he was caught.

If he said it because he thought it was just clever, then he is stupid -- which may be why he was caught on a fairly porous border.

29 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

names are not associated to any particular country now. It's called globalization. Whether it hurts you or not the world will still revolve.

Humans hurt the world (not names or nationality).  Humans are for the most part a large virus living on the earth causing no end of damage to the host....  

Where the story falls down is that he used his Canadian passport to enter Cambodia and still had it.  If Cambodia felt the need to confiscate his passport because of legal proceedings -- they undoubtedly would have taken his Canadian one.  Then the question of why he felt the need to enter Thailand illegally, was he persona-non-grata, was he rejected entry, did he have to bypass exit controls because of legal issues in Cambodia and they could not find his Canadian passport.  He does look like he has been on the run....

As he had a valid entry stamp to Cambodia in his Canadian passport any talk of a US one being confiscated is probably bullshit, but irrelevant anyway. He could leave on the Canadian one. I suspect he is in a whole heap of doodoo in Cambodia and thought he would be arrested if he tries the normal borders.

Maybe he should have tried telling them he thought he was a rabbit, who just liked burrowing. He looks like he has been sleeping in a hole for a while, given the state of him.

1 hour ago, jabsjabs said:

Has dual Canadian and American citizenship?

Ya right!

Its not the easiest thing to do

yeah, my American buddy has his residency permit and has retired to Canada (Eggmont, BC), and that was not trivial to do or get properly, what with monetary tests, time in country tests, etc.  I didn't think he had Canadian citizenship as part of that, and that would be another process.

21 minutes ago, MarkusAUST said:

As he had a valid entry stamp to Cambodia in his Canadian passport any talk of a US one being confiscated is probably bullshit, but irrelevant anyway. He could leave on the Canadian one. I suspect he is in a whole heap of doodoo in Cambodia and thought he would be arrested if he tries the normal borders.

Maybe he should have tried telling them he thought he was a rabbit, who just liked burrowing. He looks like he has been sleeping in a hole for a while, given the state of him.

He could only leave on the Canadian one if he was not restricted from leaving for legal reasons.  In North America it is pretty easy to "get out" since we have no exit processing, but here it is different... you have to get out legally before you can enter legally.  If he did have an American Passport, and it was confiscated, it was likely for legal reasons.  The only reason why he might have still had a Canadian one in this scenario is that he stated he lost it -- and thus could not turn it in.  To me, this seems to be the most likely scenario -- otherwise why would he not cross legally -- to somewhere....

The other possibility is ... what are the overstay regulations in Cambodia?  Maybe he had overstayed?

4 minutes ago, rgraham said:

Obviously "Hamish Frazee Mikhail" is not really Jason Bourne.

No but it could easily be Hamish (UK) origin - indicating maybe mother was Scottish or English.

Mikhail - Ukrainian - Quite a large Ukrainian immigration wave early last century -- especially to the prairies.