Israel's Netanyahu threatens to shut Al-Jazeera Jerusalem office

webfact

Israel's Netanyahu threatens to shut Al-Jazeera Jerusalem office

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attends the weekly cabinet meeting at his office in Jerusalem July 23, 2017. REUTERS/Abir Sultan/Pool

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday said he would work to close the Jerusalem offices of Qatar-based al-Jazeera, accusing the television news network of inciting recent violence in the city.

Jerusalem is experiencing one of its most tense periods in years as Palestinians protest heightened Israeli security measures near the Temple Mount-Noble Sanctuary compound, one of the city's holiest sites, and the events have been widely reported, including by al-Jazeera.

"The al-Jazeera network continues to stir violence around the Temple Mount," Netanyahu wrote on his Facebook page in Hebrew.

The Qatar-based network was not immediately available for comment.

The spike in tensions and the deaths of three Israelis and four Palestinians in violence on Friday and Saturday raised international alarm.

"I have spoken several times to law-enforcement authorities demanding to close al-Jazeera's offices in Jerusalem. If this does not happen because of legal interpretation, I will work to enact the required legislation to expel al-Jazeera from Israel," the Israeli leader added in his post.

Al-Jazeera has also faced government censure in neighbouring Egypt when in 2014, the Arab state jailed three al-Jazeera staffers for seven years and closed the network's offices. Two staffers have been released but a third remains imprisoned.

(Writing by Ori Lewis; Editing by James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-27

So much for freedom of speech in supposedly the only democracy in the Middle East.

>>"The al-Jazeera network continues to stir violence around the Temple Mount," Netanyahu wrote on his Facebook page in Hebrew.

Does Netanyahu give concrete examples of this, or is it just another of  his attempts to stifle any criticism of Israel?

A regime that fears criticism is doomed to failure.

Without an office AJ cannot speak directly to a range of Israeli officials, making it certain that only one side of the story can be told. I have often seen Israeli reps speaking in Al Jazeera debates. All seems counter productive.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Odd syntax, but if you're saying Saudi Arabia is a puppet of Israel, that is totally false, and I reckon you know that. 

Actually Saudi Arabia might not be a puppet of Israel but it is certainly a silent partner of Israel as they find themselves on the same side in many issues.

The last thing that Saudi Arabia wants is an Arabic broadcaster that can say it the way it is and that reminds them of the Arab Spring. The last thing that Netanyahu wants is an Arab broadcaster that might show ordinary Arabs through the fog of state controlled broadcasting and actually show them what is really going on in the world.

By his statement, Netanyahu is lining up with completely unelected leaders of certain Arab countries against Iran which has at least a partial democracy. But he does not really care about that as his real beef is that Iran supports Hamas. Since Qatar is the only Arab country that has opened its diplomatic doors to Iran (they share a huge gas field which is the main source of Qatari wealth), Bibi has decided to throw in his lot with one of the more repressive regimes on Earth (Saudi) and do what all dictators do, which is to snuff out free speech.

Oh please. Not might not. Is not.

Bibi has his own arguably good reasons to be bothered by consistently Israel demonizing AJ that have zilch to do with Saudi.

I still doubt Israel will actually follow through with this. Barking about it seems like a political stunt to help restore Bibi's standing internally with their powerful right wing.

50 minutes ago, MisterTee said:

Long may Al Jazeera continue to report the news.

The countries that oppose it are part of a rogue's gallery in a swamp that needs to be drained.

I'm OK with that, free press and all that, but it can't be denied that AJ has a strong pro-Palestinian / anti-Israel bias. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm OK with that, free press and all that, but it can't be denied that AJ has a strong pro-Palestinian / anti-Israel bias. 

Maybe its because the truth is that Israel is behaving badly and if Al Jazeera don't cover some of these incidents, who will?

Perhaps this is the coverage that Netanyahu objects to...

"Last week, amid clashes between Palestinians and Israeli forces in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, Al Jazeera last week published a video in which an Israeli officer is be seen kicking a Palestinian kneeling on what looks like a prayer mat. The network's reporter claimed that Israeli officers attacked the non-violent Palestinian protesters near the Temple Mount."
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.803677

26 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Looks like we have another dictator on the global market.

He's not a dictator. He is a right winger. He's subject to political system in Israel. He won't be there forever.

As far as AJ being biased against Israel in a toxic way, that's actually a real thing.

I believe in free speech and a free press, even when blatantly biased. Fox News in the U.S. is basically a propaganda wing of the trump regime, but they have every right to broadcast and that should continue.

So should AJ still be allowed in Israel. 

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/196652

She charged the company with showing a blatant pro-Arab bias both in terms of employment and news coverage, with the most intense bias coming out against Israel.

High-Bassalik said the company's investigative unit head tweeted "Israelis are like Hitler," showing the pronounced antagonism of the supposedly professionally neutral news company.

And during last summer's counter-terror Operation Protective Edge in Gaza, she reported being told the mission was to portray Israel as the villain, and give an unfair slant in favor of the Arab and Muslim perspective of the conflict.

And that's a more tame English language version of AJ. Many reports that the Arabic version often goes deeply well beyond Israel demonization straight into blatant antisemitism. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He's not a dictator. He is a right winger. He's subject to political system in Israel. He won't be there forever.

I am sure that you have many good points...nevertheless he is acting like a dictator...

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

I am sure that you have many good points...nevertheless he is acting like a dictator...

Referring to the OP I think you're exaggerating. It says he will try to enact LEGISLATION if the police don't find his demand legal. That means he may fail in this. I predict he will.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, Netanyahu won't be there forever. And given the devades-long drift rightward of Israeli politics, it's not at all unlikely that he'll be replaced with someone worse.

On 7/27/2017 at 0:18 PM, MisterTee said:

The countries that oppose it are part of a rogue's gallery in a swamp that needs to be drained.

Ah but it is difficult to drain the swamp , when you are up to your arse in Alligators? As the saying goes...

On 7/27/2017 at 7:36 AM, dexterm said:

So much for freedom of speech in supposedly the only democracy in the Middle East.

>>"The al-Jazeera network continues to stir violence around the Temple Mount," Netanyahu wrote on his Facebook page in Hebrew.

Does Netanyahu give concrete examples of this, or is it just another of  his attempts to stifle any criticism of Israel?

Without an office AJ cannot speak directly to a range of Israeli officials, making it certain that only one side of the story can be told. I have often seen Israeli reps speaking in Al Jazeera debates. All seems counter productive.

" So much for freedom of speech in supposedly the only democracy in the Middle East. "

dexterm   I am incredibly sad to say and what's worse is that there isn't even a light at the end of the tunnel..........:sad:

(and why haven't we heard of this in the MSM ?) :blink:

U.S. lawmakers are seeking to criminally outlaw support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel. If a proposed bipartisan law is passed, backers of BDS could face up to 20 years in prison and a million-dollar fine

https://www.freespeech.org/video/criminalizing-critics-israel-congress-considers-sweeping-bills-fine-jail-backers-bds

On 7/27/2017 at 1:09 PM, Jingthing said:

Nor can it be denied that the Western media has an even stronger pro-Israeli / anti-Palestinian bias.

1 hour ago, midas said:

" So much for freedom of speech in supposedly the only democracy in the Middle East. "

dexterm   I am incredibly sad to say and what's worse is that there isn't even a light at the end of the tunnel..........:sad:

(and why haven't we heard of this in the MSM ?) :blink:

https://www.freespeech.org/video/criminalizing-critics-israel-congress-considers-sweeping-bills-fine-jail-backers-bds

First of all, that proposed law about BDS is 100 percent OFF TOPIC.

Secondly, I looked into this and it turns out the proposed bill doesn't actually do what that video says it does.

But I would agree, any such bill needs to be carefully looked at to make sure it doesn't violate basic American freedoms. 

18 hours ago, dig said:

I would like to open an Israeli news agency in Qatar and speak freely... you think they'll let me?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

..Have you tried? Up until 2009 Israel had trade offices in Qatar.

Bahrein even banned AJ because it was biased towards Israel not against it.
'"We believe (Al Jazeera) is suspect and represents the Zionist side in the region. We will not deal with this channel because we object to its coverage of current affairs. It is a channel penetrated by Zionists," he was quoted as saying.'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1980191.stm

Iranian Press TV, has also criticized Al Jazeera for being pro-American and Israeli.

I have often seen many Israeli reps quite freely discussing issues on AJ. 

You seem to imply that Qatar is a repressive regime that would censor Israel's point of view by refusing them an office, and yet you now support Israel doing the same thing to Al Jazeera. Can't have it both ways.

Sadly, I think the only people who might not want reporters to speak freely in Israel is Netanyahu's government.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:36 AM, dexterm said:

Threatening to shut down a media outlet holding a pretty much hostile stance may not be in line with ideal regarding Freedom of the Press. It does not, however, amount to the nonsense posted. Local media is pretty much constant in passing criticism, ridiculing and exposing political corruption. This will not change whether or not Netanyahu actually follows through (as a hint, hardly the first time he brought this up, don't think it was ever acted upon). A good example would the often quoted Haaretz.

And yes, there are instances of Al Jazeera dabbling in incitement when it covers related issues. Most of it refers to it's Arabic Edition, the one which most posters do not follow. Considering you yourself routinely quote vehement, bile filled op-eds and opinion columns from the same source, the question regarding examples is disingenuous, at best.

AJ does not need an office in place to be able to speak to Israeli officials. That's a stone age argument.

As far as I'm aware, AJ does not enjoy editorial freedom, freedom of the press, or freedom of speech with regard to all of the content aired. Doubt you'll have anything constructive to say on that.

Edited by Morch

On 7/27/2017 at 10:35 AM, humqdpf said:

Actually Saudi Arabia might not be a puppet of Israel but it is certainly a silent partner of Israel as they find themselves on the same side in many issues.

The last thing that Saudi Arabia wants is an Arabic broadcaster that can say it the way it is and that reminds them of the Arab Spring. The last thing that Netanyahu wants is an Arab broadcaster that might show ordinary Arabs through the fog of state controlled broadcasting and actually show them what is really going on in the world.

By his statement, Netanyahu is lining up with completely unelected leaders of certain Arab countries against Iran which has at least a partial democracy. But he does not really care about that as his real beef is that Iran supports Hamas. Since Qatar is the only Arab country that has opened its diplomatic doors to Iran (they share a huge gas field which is the main source of Qatari wealth), Bibi has decided to throw in his lot with one of the more repressive regimes on Earth (Saudi) and do what all dictators do, which is to snuff out free speech.

The above seems to assume that Al Jazeera is a a free press organization, which it is not (and more so when it comes to its Arabic edition). Kinda funny going on about "state controlled broadcasting" considering AJ is owned by Qatar's government. And of course, without any reference to AJ not applying the same praised coverage to Qatar itself or to stories deemed unfavorable by the powers that be.

Now for the rest of the mumbo jumbo...

Iran, presented as some half lit beacon of democracy, does not have a particularly great policy and record when it comes to the press. And regardless of how democratic and enlightened it's portrayed, these elements do not figure much when it comes to its stance toward Israel. Netanyahu's "real beef" with Iran would be related to support of the Hezbollah (rather than Hamas) and being a potential long range threat. Qatar is not the only Arab country that "opened diplomatic doors to Iran". Obvious examples would be Iraq and Syria (but others too).

Netanyahu's threat got little to do with Saudi Arabia. Other than, perhaps, taking advantage of the current friction between GCC members. Most of it, as JT posted, is political posturing for domestic purposes.

Edited by Morch

On 7/27/2017 at 0:18 PM, MisterTee said:

Long may Al Jazeera continue to report the news.

Al Jazeera is a state owned media outlet. It does not enjoy full editorial freedom.