Retirement v Marriage Extension ?

Sorry if this topic has been raised before, but a search didn’t reveal anything.

Miss MoneyBaht and I have been married for nearly ten years.  Since retiring some 6 years ago I have been living here on annual retirement extensions.

I am fully aware of the different immigration requirements between retirement and marriage extensions, but what I would like to know is… what are pros and cons of one against the other.

I'm up for renewal at the beginning of September and wondering if I should stay with retirement or swap to marriage.

Maybe an advantage if you by any chance are suspecting a pension-decrease in future, and cannot meet the retirement-demand on the money.

Besides that, there is only one plus thing with marriage-extension and that is as said by Lopburi - you can work..

Otherwise there is a crapload full of papers, and me personally, I can not understand why some people uses this, let say more complicated extension-choice...

Glegolo

• Like 1

I choose the marriage extension because it needs less finances and is only slightly more difficult than the retirement option. 

I am married to a Thai so why would I not use that method? 

Certainly not to save a few extra minutes applying. 

25 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

I choose the marriage extension because it needs less finances and is only slightly more difficult than the retirement option. 

Slightly more difficult....... Hahahaha funny!! There is a pile of paper involved plus photos, in some cases witnesses and a going back to immigration totally 2 times instead of 1 time, as it is for the easy 3 paper retirement-extension.... But up to each and everyone I guess.

But that argument you use that you are married to a thai lady, and therefore should use the marriage-extension, is in my eyes quite lame.... It has no actual bearing as an argument here I think......

But maybe you have it as a friend of mine have it at home, he said that his thaiwife told him; - "I have lived for 20 years in your country, now when living here you shall go on the marriage-extension alternative to honor me".......

I just believe that folks using the marriage extension alternative, do it because they do NOT have the money-income enough to choose retirement full stop....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Better treatment because it is a local office call - marriage is subject to review by higher authorities so local office can become paranoid.

Wife does not have to attend - not everyone has a wife who can easily meet officials or do so on a specific date.

At many offices there will be further requirements on neighbors or friends that you must impose upon.

• Like 1

For me it means absolutely nothing like you guys said;

1. I am here to stay with my family!!

2. I am married to a thai national!!

If I have the money needed for retirement-extension, I go retirement, and have done so for the last 9 years. And of course if i didnt have a income suitable for retirement-extension, I have to settle with a marriage one...

Comparing the two extensions is not doable at all.. Retirement is simply so much easier to do...

Sorry not meaning to hurt anyone, this is just my own NAKED opinion....

Glegolo

2 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

well, if your wife doesn't have to work... because otherwise she has to appear at the office with you for anything you do.... even just a reentry permit. and for some of us the immigration office is several hours one way.. so it's an all day... sometimes beginning with a very early queue... for two people not just you!

my wife is always with me anyways! however..... retirement is also simpler. once you are over age 50 you stay that way, nothing to prove again! except money but that's nothing... you need a certain amount of money for a lot more than just immigration... even if you live in the sticks.. when you are over 50 some issues you can get are not just a clinic visit, eh?

Edited by maewang99

10 hours ago, YetAnother said:

seriously ? i, 64, and my thai wife, 57, would have to answer this ? (i have retirement, just curious)

Of course you would not get asked that.

Nothing to do with them.

Some people just like to pretend that the marriage option is more difficult than it actually is.

It is really simple to do.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Nothing to do with them.

Some people just like to pretend that the marriage option is more difficult than it actually is.

I assure you I am not pretending - we were being asked this question when in our 60's at Bangkok Suanplu Immigration Office.

9 hours ago, hackjam said:

Exactly what do you need when applying for a retirement visa renewal?

Believe you are asking about extension of stay from immigration inside Thailand and the exact paperwork will vary a bit by the office used.  Try a Google of

thailand retirement extension of stay paperwork

17 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Nothing to do with them.

Yes, I am obviously "some people" than!!! Here is the REAL difference between the 2 extensions we are talking about, so all bullshit a side, this is what to expect in first place;

Retirement-extension;

1) 1 (TM7)                                                                                                                                                                                            2) passport photo (size 4x6 cm.)                                                                                                                                                    3) Photocopies of passport; photopage, VISA, latest extension if any, copy of departurecard,    

4) 1,900 Baht                                                                                                                                                                                          5) Income-affadavit from embassy - or money in the bank      

6)  copy of yellow housebook or missus blue one...

Mariage-extension;

1.      TM. 7 

2.      1 photo size 4x6cm

3.      1.900 baht

4.      Copies of passport of; photopage, entry-page, latest extension if any, departure-card,

5.      Mariiage-certificate

6.      wifes Tabien Baan Blue book

7.      Copy wifes  id-card

8.      Prof of income from either your embassy OR money in the bank alternative,

9.      Intervjue by the immigration of both...   

10.    A map to your home   

11.    Photos of wife/husband, photos together + with the house-no clearly shown in the photos.     

12.    You get first 1 month "under consideration-extension" then go home, and then after 1 month return for the final year extension...     

So is it just me, or why are "some people" trying to explain that marriage-extension in comparizon is "no big deal" at all, easy!!!

Glegolo

• Like 2

I am seriously considering returning to the retirement visa. I changed to the marriage some 5 years ago, yes I only need ฿400,000 in the bank and I could have a work permit on this visa but;

There is much more evidence needed, photos etc and you both need to attend the renewal.

You then don't get a years renewal, you get a month whilst they review your application. This does not seem to change no matter for how long you have extended your visa on the basis of Thai Wife.

During this time if you need or want to go abroad you need a re-entry permit.

A month later you can go back and hopefully get the additional 11 months, any re-entry from the probationary month is now void so further trip abroad need another re-entry permit.

the 1 month on probation may be more significant for me as I rather like motorsports and my extension is around at the Singapore / Malaysia F1 and MotoGP time.

If the extension based on Thai Wife led to such benefits as residency I would live with the extra work but it doesn't, not here in Thailand so I am minded to revert to the easy life of a retirement extension.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alant said:

A month later you can go back and hopefully get the additional 11 months, any re-entry from the probationary month is now void so further trip abroad need another re-entry permit.

the 1 month on probation may be more significant for me as I rather like motorsports and my extension is around at the Singapore / Malaysia F1 and MotoGP time.

It is not a probation period. As it says your extension is under consideration period.

You can get a re-entry permit that will be valid for entry up to the report back date on the under consideration stamp.

I switched from marriage to retirement as the father-in-law was not well and the wife was helping with him. She didnt have the time to spend time going to Immigration and having the money in the bank the retirement option made a lot more sense.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe and others, by my posting, I was not looking to belittle peoples choice (up to each and everyone)..

But something that irritates me somewhat, is when some people are trying to justify their own choices, by defending them to death, being blind to all facts and alternatives.

No matter what you say, there is a huge difference in the different demands from Thailands side in this. And when saying that "you can use these extra 400.000 baht for something much more valueable than sitting in the bank"!! I think that is a gross overestimation. The money can be taken out of the said bankaccount, and used in whatever way you choose for i.e. investment. And than of course put back in again the very next year, when it is time again for a new extension.

Yes there are people that can not afford, and do not qualify for retirement extension, but this is NOT what we are talking about.

I think that "say like it is - all bullshit a side" is the very best policy..

Glegolo

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Madgee said:

I am on a marriage extension.

Admittedly, a retirement extension would be easier to obtain and I agree with several posters concerning the various reasons but ....................

I am married, my wife took my name and she went to considerable trouble to change all her documents, I.D.Cards, Banks, Land ownership etc.

The very least I could do was to return the respect my getting an extension based on marriage. Money aspects are not an issue.

I am married therefore on a marriage extension. It seems the right thing to do. My wife enjoys going to immigration every year with me and seems quite proud that she is an important part of the application. A little bit of extra paperwork is well worth the trouble and it's not difficult by any means. 

Just my take on things, everyone to their own.

Sorry but do not agree with your reasoning - how is extending based on being retired a lack of respect for wife?  It is easier for all concerned as you know.  Financials or work I can understand - as well as not wanting to change if doing one way now.  But that marriage extension infers more respect for spouse I do not buy.

• Like 1

As long as I'm married I plan to stay on a marriage visa.  Primarily for two reasons: I tie up less money in a Thai bank, and I have the option to go back to work if I choose.  

Is it straight forward to switch between the two? I have been on marriage extensions for a few years but a retirement extension becomes an option at my next renewal - is it just a question of ticking a different box on the form and a different desk at immigration (Jomtien) or would i need a new visa from a consulate to extend?

You just write "retirement" as the reason on the TM.7 form and bring documents for that type of extension.  They might want your wife to attend first time to acknowledge she is aware of the change however.

• Like 1