Retirement v Marriage Extension ?

If having 800k on deposit for 3 months each year is not an issue, I would stick with the retirement extension.

I see no advantage to a marriage extension beyond reducing that to 400k. And generally people in that position (a need to reduce the financial requirement), have little choice and start jumping through the hoops.

MARRIAGE vs RETIREMENT

The BEST reason for retirement:  IF you and the wife DIVORCE, the "marriage extension" becomes INVALID. It happens to the best of people. ( I know of a case where hubby ( of 20 years ) was given 5 days to leave the country - community property be dammed - it was a lot!! )  Only invest what you can afford to loose.

BASICS.....

Marriage: A lot more paperwork, sometimes a visit to your home, witnesses needed sometimes, photos needed sometimes, utility bills needed sometimes, etc. You are usually able to work with proper paperwork. Less money financial proof. 90 day reporting. Depending on the farangs country, easier to get spouse visa. Most forgotten item, a wife filling out a TM-30. Keep paperwork up to date.

Retirement: 800,000 financial proof. You can NOT work. Sometimes must show a Lease when renewing. MOST of the time the property owner does a TM-30. 90 day reporting. You are responsible for TM-28 if you move. Keep paperwork up to date.

One last word, a IO ( who I saw every now and then in the real world ) told me when I asked him, during a 90 day, what paperwork I needed to CHANGE to marriage, "Do NOT change to a marriage """ visa""", keep your retirement """ visa""". Keep paperwork up to date."

Nuff said!

Edited by edwardflory
spelling correction
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

What is this?

Am I missing out on something?

Old age is respected in Thai culture (as often is in others).  It can make the experience with officialdom a bit more pleasant.  

Edited by lopburi3

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Old age is respected in Thai culture (as often is in others).  It can make the experience with officialdom a bit more pleasant.  

Aaah, OK.

I thought you had found a real card that would give us oldies some privileges over the young'uns.

• Like 1

I personally prefer the Retirement option as it has always been very easy for me. Immigration is very local from home. Usually in & out for 90 day reporting in 1 minute.

My only annoyance is the 800k which is a lot of dead money. I draw out 800k from farmers bank, put it into a normal thai bank account for 2 months, take it out again & put back in farmers bank to continue the 4% interest.

Thats my only grumble unless I'm doing it the wrong way.

2 minutes ago, twizzian said:

I personally prefer the Retirement option as it has always been very easy for me. Immigration is very local from home. Usually in & out for 90 day reporting in 1 minute.

My only annoyance is the 800k which is a lot of dead money. I draw out 800k from farmers bank, put it into a normal thai bank account for 2 months, take it out again & put back in farmers bank to continue the 4% interest.

2 months or 3 months ?

I switched to married from retirement. I think it offers you more security as you have a Thai wife and I have a child also.

If things go south here I think you will better off with marriage extention than a retirement extention due to the fact you have a family. More paper work yes but not that hard.

1 hour ago, Khun Robert said:

I carry a 40 kg suitcase with every paper, utility bill, internet bill etc and at least 2 copies and I wear adult dipers just in case, because you never know what questions they could or will ask.

I love it!

But the post about the "age card"? Sorry but it's complete twaddle, at least as far as immigration are concerned. If you look clean, wear sensible clothes, appear to have money and manage to remain calm and polite, you may as well be 18 or 80. 

• Like 1

IF (note... IF) they decide to raise the financial requirements again, then I would prefer to be grandfathered in for 800k on retirement rather than 400k on marriage (that could easily end without any notice by divorce or death), and then have to find what could be an even higher amount in a few days.

Retirement is preferable unless you're under 50.  JMHO.

3 hours ago, twizzian said:

You can go to your Embassy in Bangkok and complete a Stat Dec stating you have an annual income above the required level - get the Embassy to witness and stamp that Stat Dec, and this will be accepted as proof of the required amount of income. I have used that method for several years - I never have more than 200K baht in Thai banks earning no interest. You will need to get the Stat Dec a month or so before the extension request - UJ knows the exact official time a stat dec is valid, but I heard that some IOs want it within a month or so.  And you can apply for the extension up to one month before it is due, which means you can see if it works with that particular IO at the office you use, and if not, then you have one month to get whatever else is needed.

6 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

You can go to your Embassy in Bangkok and complete a Stat Dec stating you have an annual income above the required level - get the Embassy to witness and stamp that Stat Dec, and this will be accepted as proof of the required amount of income. I have used that method for several years - I never have more than 200K baht in Thai banks earning no interest. You will need to get the Stat Dec a month or so before the extension request - UJ knows the exact official time a stat dec is valid, but I heard that some IOs want it within a month or so.  And you can apply for the extension up to one month before it is due, which means you can see if it works with that particular IO at the office you use, and if not, then you have one month to get whatever else is needed.

This sounds like a fraudulent suggestion in my eyes. You mean lie about your income, and then  use your embassy to confirm that lie?

But that suggestion do not go at all for the rest of us (besides americans and british people that is) expats here in Thailand, we need to have confirmed income in order to get that letter from our embassies....

I myself strongly recommend you guys, NOT to lie about your income, and therefore cast your dark shadow over the rest of us here in Thailand.

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

This sounds like a fraudulent suggestion in my eyes. You mean lie about your income, and then  use your embassy to confirm that lie?

But that suggestion do not go at all for the rest of us (besides americans and british people that is) expats here in Thailand, we need to have confirmed income in order to get that letter from our embassies....

I myself strongly recommend you guys, NOT to lie about your income, and therefore cast your dark shadow over the rest of us here in Thailand.

Glegolo

But if you have the income it is a valid and accepted method - your Embassy may require paperwork to prove the income and occasionally immigration will also ask for such proof.  Remember this document is a legal statement by you and, at least in the case of US law, would be a federal offence if not true.  

Such letter are valid from date for six months so can be done during a visit to Consulate or a remote Consulate Officials visit.

13 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Glegolo

Dont be so negative.  How else can you get 800K into a bank account unless you have 800K of income. 

You declare your income and sign that declaration, which the Embassy witnesses and stamps. Usually the Embassy never asks but if they ever do I have the evidence to back up the stat dec claim.

9 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Dont be so negative.  How else can you get 800K into a bank account unless you have 800K of income. 

You declare your income and sign that declaration, which the Embassy witnesses and stamps. Usually the Embassy never asks but if they ever do I have the evidence to back up the stat dec claim.

Lopburi,,,, this proves my post you quoted!!!  I have heard numerous times you americans defend the system you have, and how honest you guys are and truthfully as well.. .

But I am convienced knowing the human  nature, that there is a lot of folks with this system implemanted at their embassies, that signs up for much more income than they in fact have. And this is the reason that the immigration authorities also asks only the americans and the brits (in some cases), for proof of their income beside that affadavit.... The rest of us do never have to show any additonal proof.... I wonder why?:post-4641-1156694572:

So all bullshit aside.. humans in general cannot be trusted, that is also the main reason for the trilljons (billions) of laws we all are living under...

So dream on guys...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

3 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Lopburi,,,, this proves my post you quoted!!!  I have heard numerous times you americans defend the system you have, and how honest you guys are and truthfully as well.. .

But I am convienced knowing the human  nature, that there is a lot of folks with this system implemanted at their embassies, that signs up for much more income than they in fact have. And this is the reason that the immigration authorities also asks only the americans and the brits (in some cases), for proof of their income beside that affadavit.... The rest of us do never have to show any additonal proof.... I wonder why?:post-4641-1156694572:

So all bullshit aside.. humans in general cannot be trusted, that is also the main reason for the trilljons (billions) of laws we all are living under...

So dream on guys...

Glegolo

Substantiate your claim that, " The rest of us do never have to show any additional proof."  I don't see how you can as you are not omniscient .  Perhaps you should apologize and retract your statement?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, amvet said:

Substantiate your claim that, " The rest of us do never have to show any additional proof."  I don't see how you can as you are not omniscient .  Perhaps you should apologize and retract your statement?

Nop, will not retract anything, and that can no gun in the world change..

Glegolo

9 minutes ago, glegolo said:

So dream on guys...

Glegolo

:saai: whatever 

5 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Nop, will not retract anything, and that can no gun in the world change..

Glegolo

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but don't expect to debate with adults with no facts and expect to be believed.  I could tell you the moon was made of green cheese and you would ask for proof.  So with your statement that only Americans and Brits are questioned about income.  Say what it really is and that is your personal bias against some folks of another nationality other than yours.  Nothing more or less.  You made the statement, " The rest of us do never have to show any additonal proof." Not true or true is purely conjecture on your part and/or your opinion. 

14 minutes ago, amvet said:

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but don't expect to debate with adults with no facts and expect to be believed.  I could tell you the moon was made of green cheese and you would ask for proof.  So with your statement that only Americans and Brits are questioned about income.  Say what it really is and that is your personal bias against some folks of another nationality other than yours.  Nothing more or less.  You made the statement, " The rest of us do never have to show any additonal proof." Not true or true is purely conjecture on your part and/or your opinion. 

Beautifully expressed,  saying nothing in respons to what I actually did wrote. You just do not know,  I guess.... Maybe a politician??

Glegolo

ps. So you are dragging the racist-card are you??? I actually love both of your countries and I have lived my whole life in the american and british music and social culture, no complaints from me....

I thought I expressed it as ....many people are not honest,, it is in the human nature,,, therefore billions of laws.... How is that a racist thing??

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

So dream on guys...

Glegolo

For info glegolo using the income method all requests submitted to the British embassy have to have 

proof of that income/pension before they will authorise such a claim, no exceptions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not a probation period. As it says your extension is under consideration period.

You can get a re-entry permit that will be valid for entry up to the report back date on the under consideration stamp.

probation / consideration? my apologies for the use of a similar if not exact term, the result is the same, the extension is still being considered (in the same way that someone on probation is being considered).

I said you can get a re entry permit for the period of the month but only for that period until you get the further 11 months, then you would need another. With a retirement visa you could just get a multi entry for the whole period.

12 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

For info glegolo using the income method all requests submitted to the British embassy have to have 

proof of that income/pension before they will authorise such a claim, no exceptions.

Excuse me, I have been misinformed then... I am sorry all british guys..

Glegolo

• Like 1

Now also for the Dutch Embassy. Income statement can be applied for only with proof of income, tax refunds and monthly payments on bank account. Next to that the Embassy can check with the Dutch tax office if your claim is correct before they authorise your statement.

Edited by Khun Robert

A marriage extension is a bit more paperwork and an extra visit, but not a big problem.  I go down this route because I prefer to keep as little as possible in a Thai bank; I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

23 hours ago, glegolo said:

Beautifully expressed,  saying nothing in respons to what I actually did wrote. You just do not know,  I guess.... Maybe a politician??

Glegolo

ps. So you are dragging the racist-card are you??? I actually love both of your countries and I have lived my whole life in the american and british music and social culture, no complaints from me....

I thought I expressed it as ....many people are not honest,, it is in the human nature,,, therefore billions of laws.... How is that a racist thing??

You wrote Brits get checked for income and you don't.  That says you are biased against Brits with no reason as they also have to provide documentation to their embassy.  Nothing racist.  You said Americans and Brits get checked for veracity of income letters and no other nationalities do.  That is a national bias and nothing to do with racism.  I said you should retract or change your statement that no other nationalities get checked except Brits and Americans because it's not accurate because you have no way of gathering that data.