Retirement v Marriage Extension ?

2 minutes ago, amvet said:

You wrote Brits get checked for income and you don't.  That says you are biased against Brits with no reason as they also have to provide documentation to their embassy.  Nothing racist.  You said Americans and Brits get checked for veracity of income letters and no other nationalities do.  That is a national bias and nothing to do with racism.  I said you should retract or change your statement that no other nationalities get checked except Brits and Americans because it's not accurate because you have no way of gathering that data.

I have already been proven wrong when it came to the brits, and I did apologize to them all.. So my statement was changed by that.

But it does NOT take away from you and americans that Thailand is checking your income verifications in MANY cases because they KNOW how NOT fully compatible they are to the reality in many cases....

That is why I wrote that humans cannot be trusted, no matter what nationality of course..

Glegolo

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

I have already been proven wrong when it came to the brits, and I did apologize to them all.. So my statement was changed by that.

But it does NOT take away from you and americans that Thailand is checking your income verifications in MANY cases because they KNOW how NOT fully compatible they are to the reality in many cases....

That is why I wrote that humans cannot be trusted, no matter what nationality of course..

Glegolo

You wrote, " The rest of us do never have to show any additonal proof."  That is BS because you have no way to determine that, now do you?  Shouldn't you apologize to the Yanks as well as the Brits?

People should realise that the marriage extension is 2 tier and much simpler for those with children than those without. When I went to renew my marriage extension I was told I would have to have a home visit and witnesses again, so I changed to retirement.

What is the maximum length of time one can leave the country during the under consideration period if subject to a home visit?

A bit like how long is a piece of string? It really is each to his own.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

People should realise that the marriage extension is 2 tier and much simpler for those with children than those without. When I went to renew my marriage extension I was told I would have to have a home visit and witnesses again, so I changed to retirement.

What is the maximum length of time one can leave the country during the under consideration period if subject to a home visit?

A bit like how long is a piece of string? It really is each to his own.

If you get a re-entry permit during the "under consideration" stamp, it would preserve the permission-of-stay of that stamp.  As to what happens when the home-visit occurs and you are not there - this is another issue.  It may be possible to request that immigration make their visit before or after your planned trip, if you let them know the dates when applying for the extension.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:04 AM, JackThompson said:

If you get a re-entry permit during the "under consideration" stamp, it would preserve the permission-of-stay of that stamp.  As to what happens when the home-visit occurs and you are not there - this is another issue.  It may be possible to request that immigration make their visit before or after your planned trip, if you let them know the dates when applying for the extension.

You missed the point completely. The under consideration period creates a problem that does not exist with the retirement extension but that problem is ignored by those that have no desire to leave the country.

This year I could not renew my retirement extension and I could not obtain a marriage extension because of the under consideration period. I had to let my extension expire and get a new Non O to get me back home.

Only the lucky few could consider the marriage extension to be a simple matter.

Hi folks

Many thanks for all those who gave me some input to my question it is much appreciated.  It’s just a shame that a couple of members keep taking the opportunity to have a go at each other no matter what the topic.

Some feedback.

As mentioned in my original post, Miss MoneyBaht and I have been married for nearly 10 years and I have been living here on a retirement extension for the past 6 years, and I was wondering what the benefits/downsides are regarding retirement v marriage extensions.

I am well aware of the additional paperwork, photos, witnesses and visits required to secure a marriage extension.  I appreciate that this can be a hassle for some, but personally it does not worry me.  Just another hurdle to jump over.

Call me old fashion, but I have to agree with the posters comment regarding that it displays a commitment given the fact that his wife went to a lot of trouble to change her name and all that that involved (ID; passport; blue book; health records etc.).

Regarding the differences in financial requirements between the 2 types of extensions that doesn’t really enter into the equation so far as I’m concerned.

I wasn’t aware that if you have a marriage extension you are able to work, which you cannot if you hold a retirement extension.  As I’ve worked for over 50 years of my life and hung up my Walther PKK over 6 years ago, there’s no way that I want to start working again.  I enjoy the ability to do what I want, when I want to without having to fill out ‘time sheets’ and ‘expenses forms’ any more.

The comments given by a couple of contributors regarding what happens if your wife dies before you raised some concerns in my mind.  If I have a marriage extension and my wife passes away, I’m effectively left without permission to stay as the marriage extension then becomes instantly void.  I really don’t relish the thought of an IO could telling me to leave within 5 days.

After discussing the pros and cons with Miss MoneyBaht, we have come to the conclusion that I will stick with the retirement extension, which I will renew next week.

Once again, many thanks for your input, its been much appreciated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

The comments given by a couple of contributors regarding what happens if your wife dies before you raised some concerns in my mind.  If I have a marriage extension and my wife passes away, I’m effectively left without permission to stay as the marriage extension then becomes instantly void. 

Your extension would remain valid until it expired if your wife passed on. That is written on the acknowledgment you sign when you apply for an extension. See: acknow_con2stay.pdf

Only if you got divorced would it end on the date it was finalized. But of course divorces do not happen quickly so you would have to make arrangement for a different type of extension or a visa.