Any opinions on the new MG SUV?

giddyup

I have no real personal experience with MG in Thailand, but looking at how many Thai people are complaining about leaking window seals, broken transmissions, broken plastic interior parts, I think it would be smart to give them a couple of more years to get their act together.

MG is selling a lot of cars up here in Nakhon Sawan.  Mostly the 3 and 5.  The 3 isn't my cuppa tea but the 5 looks nice enough.

At 1.2M I'd recommend scrapping together a bit more and getting the Subaru XV (got it and love it) or spending a bit less and getting the Honda HRV (fully loaded costs 100K less than the MG).

The MG GS is attractive because of its engine. Especially the 2.0T with 220 BHP. 

However, you can take a look at a few facebook pages regarding issues with MG in Thailand. Other brands also have issues but these usually are way more technical and fewer than MG.

MG is still dealing with basic issues such as leaking seals, broken plastics, stained and or ripped leather seats, etc, etc.

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

The MG GS is attractive because of its engine. Especially the 2.0T with 220 BHP. 

However, you can take a look at a few facebook pages regarding issues with MG in Thailand. Other brands also have issues but these usually are way more technical and fewer than MG.

MG is still dealing with basic issues such as leaking seals, broken plastics, stained and or ripped leather seats, etc, etc.

Not a shabby deal.  Any reports on the MG's turbo engines' reliability?

7 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

Not a shabby deal.  Any reports on the MG's turbo engines' reliability?

Not sure about the reliability, but you can see a decent review here: http://www.motoring.com.au/mg-gs-2017-review-106612/

Their conclusion: It’s not a game-changer and it’s not a class-leader. It’s a mundane car in many ways.

18 hours ago, JoeW said:

Not sure about the reliability, but you can see a decent review here: http://www.motoring.com.au/mg-gs-2017-review-106612/

Their conclusion: It’s not a game-changer and it’s not a class-leader. It’s a mundane car in many ways.

And this one:

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2017-mg-gs-first-drive-review-20170328-gv8lqn.html

4 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

i have read and am still of the same opinion, these are kit cars imported from China and tarted up in the UK and i am sure that the MG badged vehicles sold in Thailand have been nowhere near Oxford UK

Rolls Royce...?

48 minutes ago, transam said:

Rolls Royce...?

Mini...?

Jaguar...?

Land Rover...?

It seems only Caterham, Lotus, and Ariel are all that's left of the proud (ignoring the Lucas Electrics part!) British vehicle manufacturing legacy.

7 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

Mini...?

Jaguar...?

Land Rover...?

It seems only Caterham, Lotus, and Ariel are all that's left of the proud (ignoring the Lucas Electrics part!) British vehicle manufacturing legacy.

Morgan Is British owned, and I believe Lotus in Norfolk are actually Malaysian owned.

13 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

Mini...?

Jaguar...?

Land Rover...?

There are some great vids on youtube regarding the demise of the UK motoring history..The Rover one is an eye opener...

MG when British = Headaches, now that it is Chinese MG = more headaches.

With all the negative regardless of how it looks at 1.2  that is a lot of problems at that price, especially minimum service locations etc...I'll stick my Toyota Fortuner

14 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

With all the negative regardless of how it looks at 1.2  that is a lot of problems at that price, especially minimum service locations etc...I'll stick my Toyota Fortuner

It would seem the Honda HRV offers a hell of a lot more than the MG for considerably less.

20 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

MG's when they were MG's

were not a headache......Look up Morris Garages history...

Where you gonna stick your Toyota Fortuner............:shock1:.......?

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Morgan Is British owned, and I believe Lotus in Norfolk are actually Malaysian owned.

Actually looked up the Lotus issue and while they have an engineering facility in Malaysia but are a subsidiary of a Chinese company. 

59 minutes ago, transam said:

There are some great vids on youtube regarding the demise of the UK motoring history..The Rover one is an eye opener...

It was pretty much all over by the time I was born; but hearing the old timers wax on about them, as well as seeing them in old Bond movies and appreciating the styling means that I can still feel the twinge of sadness that comes from those companies losing their way.

Of course the best of those cars had to use Ford engines.

And yes that barb there is to stir the pot.