Thai media reports devastating rains causing flooding and havoc across Isaan

webfact

Thai media reports devastating rains causing flooding and havoc across Isaan

4pm.jpg

Picture: TNA

TNA reported that continual heavy rains across the north east of Thailand were wreaking havoc.

They reported extensive damage to agricultural areas, houses, roads and schoold.

And an ancient stupa in Yasothorn collapsed.

TNA said that a home for the blind under Royal patronage in Khon Kaen became an island causing great trouble for residents who needed to get out to local schools.

The military and local authority were pumping water out to try and alleviate the problem.

Seven housing estates in the area were inundated affecting 1,000 households.

Teacher and students fought to save the Ban Nong Phak Wen school in Roi-Et.

In Ubon extensive flooding was caused as the Moon river burst its banks. Levels in roads in the city were up to 80centimeters, said TNA.

The level of the Mekhong River in Nakorn Panom was just three metres off crisis proportions as 3,000 rai of farmland was devastated.

Falling trees at Khon Kaen University damaged five vehicles.

While a 200 year old stupa at Wat Ban Song Pleuay in Yasothorn could no longer stand the soaking from the rains.

It gave way and collapsed causing much consternation to the locals in the north eastern city.

More rains are expected today from the tropical storm.

Source: TNA

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-28

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I am sometimes puzzeled by the govt met sites figures for rainfall,it was torrential rain where i live most of yesterday,yet they reported 31.1 mm,i am sure it was far more,i suppose i should get a rain gauge.

Typically, at least in the US, rainfall is measured at flat/open/uncrowded ground, of which ideally this is at an airport (public or military).

Rainfall amounts in one area might vary significantly from another.  Isaan is a huge area.  Whereas where I am residing (while on holiday) had a lot of rain, I cannot compare such to the pictures included with the news article.

In sakon nakhon now..  Hotel is higher ground but the street is 2m deep. 

Neighbours are flooded to ceiling.  No food in hotel,  luckily we have tons of snack in our room from having been there  a while..  About 40 newish cars totalled in parking lot. 

It doesn't look like it's gonna stop raining.  I predict first 2 floors completely flooded.  Halfway through first one now 

20170728_121911.jpg

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

I am sometimes puzzeled by the govt met sites figures for rainfall,it was torrential rain where i live most of yesterday,yet they reported 31.1 mm,i am sure it was far more,i suppose i should get a rain gauge.

A lot depends on exactly where you live and where the local met centre is.

My nearest met centre is 65 km away in Khampaeng Phet. There are times when it is dry here and raining 3 km away or the other way around.

52 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

In sakon nakhon now..  Hotel is higher ground but the street is 2m deep. 

Neighbours are flooded to ceiling.  No food in hotel,  luckily we have tons of snack in our room from having been there  a while..  About 40 newish cars totalled in parking lot. 

It doesn't look like it's gonna stop raining.  I predict first 2 floors completely flooded.  Halfway through first one now 

20170728_121911.jpg

Heck of a situation.  Any relief in sight?

Floods close two Maha Sarakham bridges

By The Nation

397e784903a93c8ba76d5f1348e0a5a1-atwb.jp

The widespread flooding caused by tropical depression Sonca has prompted the Highway Department to temporarily close two bridges on Highway 208 in Maha Sarakham.

The bridges at kilometre markers 12.400 and 17+137 were on Friday under 50 centimetres of water and showing signs of erosion. They’ve been sealed off as a precaution. 

Motorists are advised to instead use Highway 2322 from Kosum Pisai to Chiang Yeun or the Mitraparp Highway from Tha Phra to Khon Kaen. 

Seven other road sections in Maha Sarakham are flooded – including along Highways 23, 213 and 2040 – but remain passable for traffic. 

Citizens are urged to report flood-related road hazards and can get updates on driving conditions via the Highway Department hotline, 1586.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322061

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-28

2 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

It's actually a lot - the overall (30 year average) Thai mean daily July rainfall is only 7mm.

It's what happens to the water once it hits the ground that is the problem. 

57 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Heck of a situation.  Any relief in sight?

No army can't come..  The little current is too strong..  Hotel has a lot of hungry people,  no kitchen in it. 

The car is completely under now,  raining even more

Guess gotta prepare for 3 days so I won't eat as only have 3 bottle of small water and a bit of food for it and 2 kids. 

Edited by bearpolar

15 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

No army can't come..  The little current is too strong..  Hotel has a lot of hungry people,  no kitchen in it. 

Guess gotta prepare for 3 days so I won't eat as only have 3 bottle of small water and a bit of food for it and 2 kids. 

Oh...  :sad:

Gotta a fishing line?  Hope you (and others) get some relief help soon.

16 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

Good luck. Catch some rain water and boil it just in case.

My wife says Isaan is more prone to such devastation due to past illegal logging ... Dunno myself. Where we are (Chiang Kham in Pahyao) there is an abundnace of forests. Although flooding does occur from time to time, but not so frequently as Isaan. Poor folks. For this reason, many Isaan people have moved north, she also tells me.

Cheers.

Here in Kalasin province, the south part near Mahasarakham, the storm seems to have let up as of last night after nearly two days of continuous rain. Been in Thailand for the better part of 17 years and never seen it rain like this, very intense and unrelenting in this neck of the woods.  

38 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

And boil it continuously for a minimum of two minutes!

Why that ? we only use rain water for drinking and cooking, never boil the rain water for drinking, the wife's family has done this for 50 years and are still healthy, I've been doing the same for 12 years with no ill effects.

15012335292351831558325.thumb.jpg.d7b233413dd3e12b30937b67a9b40ba2.jpgarmy brought spaghetti carbonara,  not enough though but I stached some away before the guys that smoke in the non smoking hotel get it.  

Saw some dogs on the roof and heard a woman in that house screaming for 5mins, now quiet. 

Living not far from Sawang Daen Din in Sakon Nakhon province;

my wife shows me photos and videos on her Line account; it's a huge catastrophe;

the rd between Phangkhon and Sakon , n* 22 is shut because of maybe 1 meter high water on it, maybe more..near the PoToTo station where there are two very beautoful houses with bigs dinosaures and bigs elephants inside the garden .

I continue to have electricity and internet ( very slow ) in my village but many people here have lost all and their cars and/or pickups

4 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Yes when the people help themselves as the authorities will not be able nor prepared to help. Same same every few years, but never learn.

Too cynical. We've had people out all through the night to remove fallen trees from power lines and roads, and repairing bridges. And a team has come up from Bangkok to attend a dam that is in danger of overflowing. Great stuff. Strange though that the village headman hasn't been doing his usual 5.30am broadcast to inform people of the situation.

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Why that ? we only use rain water for drinking and cooking, never boil the rain water for drinking, the wife's family has done this for 50 years and are still healthy, I've been doing the same for 12 years with no ill effects.

If your 'catchment area' is clean of any bacteria good, but if not, boil it! And if it sits in a rainwater tank a build up of bacteria can be very quick.

And it would seem that the locals have a more cast iron gut than farang. :thumbsup:

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment