Corroded stop valve - More cheap junk

Pdaz

Noticed a small rivulet of discoloured water on the bathroom floor this arvo. First thought was " bloody cat! "

But on closer inspection turned out to be coming from under the washstand unit. Pulled the drawer out to check all the hose connections were tight. All okay, but noticed a little moisture on the stop valve where it entered the PPR pipe fitting. Easy enough I think, just needs some more teflon tape. Put a spanner on the fitting and saw it move but not in the expected direction. It literally came off in my hand ! Rotted through from the inside :shock1:

Only been installed for three years. It did answer where the tiny black particles in the tap spout filter had been coming from though.

So now I have to easy-out the broken fitting end and clean the threads with a hand tap before fitting another stop valve.

Don't know why this one has failed so soon? Maybe cheaper quality Chinese made ?  But it's for hot water and a decent brand name so should have been fine.

Will now go and check all the other stop valves in the house. Hope this doesn't mean they have to be changed out every two years ! Guess will have to source some 304 stainless ones. Nothing seems to last here even when you try to buy the best.

So glad I saw the water. Imagine if it had failed in the middle of the night :shock1:

IMG_9015.thumb.JPG.aebd4d0c215c5d8cde7082a6b6218a6a.JPG

IMG_9013.thumb.JPG.c58dec0d11ab210958727d21ca5f206c.JPG

IMG_9014.thumb.JPG.16478920be5f79c8338c836628fba956.JPG

The connectors and finished fixtures available to me up here in Chiang Khong tend to be cheap quality cast metal, or metalized plastic, that break apart when you hand tighten them.  I have to buy five because two will break almost right away.

If I want a 'machined' part or fixture I can expect to pay 1,000+ THB for the option.

I guess that's the 'curse' of not living near Bangkok. 

I bought a cheap faucet once and ended up digging the broken off piece from the fitting in the wall.  I now only buy
Cotto" fixtures.  They aren't cheap but are good.

Over my 11 years living full time in Thailand, I have seen long lasting valves and briefly owned crummy stop valves. Without a doubt I recommend ANA vlaves, VRH valves and Cotto valves. I have never had a VRH nor a ANA valve ever fail. 

1 hour ago, kamalabob2 said:

Over my 11 years living full time in Thailand, I have seen long lasting valves and briefly owned crummy stop valves. Without a doubt I recommend ANA vlaves, VRH valves and Cotto valves. I have never had a VRH nor a ANA valve ever fail. 

Watson rates with the above. 

I avoid the chrome type and always buy the basic 'Italy' marked brass fittings (they are almost out of sight anyhow) and have not had a failure.  As above VRH and Cotto have been reliable brands for me for other valves.

stock-photo-stop-valve-503881006.jpg

Archived