Dependent Visa

Hi all,

My 19 year old son who is a New Zealander has been staying with me in Thailand for the last few months, I am here on a retirement visa, and would like him to stay longer, is it possible for him to get the dependent visa, and what supporting documents might be required. He turns 20 in January, would it expire then?

Many thanks,

Jim

He will need a non-o visa entry to apply for an extension as your dependent. He would  need to get it a nearby embassy or consulate.

He will need his birth certificate plus a copy, copies of your passport photo page and extension of stay stamp to apply for a single entry non-o visa.

To apply for the dependent extension his birth certificate will need to be legalized by the NZ embassy or the NZ government. That and copy plus copies of your passport would be needed.

They should give a full one year extension since the age limit is only to apply for the extension.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They should give a full one year extension since the age limit is only to apply for the extension.

Just to clarify that I understand this correctly. An extension as a dependent is only available up to age 20, right? Thus, if the intention is to stay in Thailand as long as possible as a dependent, a possible strategy might be to time the extension for just before his 20th birthday, using Non Imm O visas and associated entries to get the timing right for the final application for the extension, correct?

38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Just to clarify that I understand this correctly. An extension as a dependent is only available up to age 20, right? Thus, if the intention is to stay in Thailand as long as possible as a dependent, a possible strategy might be to time the extension for just before his 20th birthday, using Non Imm O visas and associated entries to get the timing right for the final application for the extension, correct?

Timing the extension might be the hard part. Especially if the child had been here for a number of years since it is not easy to change the date the extension ends.

I wrote should since it could depend upon upon the approving officers interpretation of the rule and etc.

Thankyou very much for your information ubonjoe, A great help as always!

Cheers,

Jim

On 29/07/2017 at 6:17 PM, ubonjoe said:

Timing the extension might be the hard part. Especially if the child had been here for a number of years since it is not easy to change the date the extension ends.

I wrote should since it could depend upon upon the approving officers interpretation of the rule and etc.

On 7/29/2017 at 5:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

He will need a non-o visa entry to apply for an extension as your dependent. He would  need to get it a nearby embassy or consulate.

He will need his birth certificate plus a copy, copies of your passport photo page and extension of stay stamp to apply for a single entry non-o visa.

To apply for the dependent extension his birth certificate will need to be legalized by the NZ embassy or the NZ government. That and copy plus copies of your passport would be needed.

UJ,  just to clarify, could a dependent spouse currently overseas apply for their 90 day visa during the initial 90 day non-O visa for a retired spouse who is already in Thailand (but before the 1 year extension of stay has been acquired).  For example, if a retiree has a non-O, and after 30 days of being on this visa in Thailand, could the spouse apply for their 90 day non-imm O dependent, or do they have to wait until the extension has been granted to the retired spouse already in Thailand(a bit confused from your wording above which seems to imply after the extension of stay phase only?)  If the dependent spouse can indeed apply, then the 90 day expiry dates would not match up, so how would the respective extensions be handled?

Thanks and sorry for the detailed question.

Edited by leddie

5 minutes ago, leddie said:

UJ,  just to clarify, could a dependent spouse currently overseas apply for their 90 day visa during the initial 90 day non-O visa for a retired spouse who is already in Thailand (but before the 1 year extension of stay has been acquired).  For example, if a retiree has a non-O, and after 30 days of being on this visa in Thailand, could the spouse apply for their 90 day non-imm O dependent, or do they have to wait until the extension has been granted to the retired spouse already in Thailand(a bit confused from your wording above which seems to imply after the extension of stay phase only?)  If the dependent spouse can indeed apply, then the 90 day expiry dates would not match up, so how would the respective extensions be handled?

I wrote it the way I did since the OP is already on an extensions.

It is possible to get a single entry non-o visa without the spouse already being on the extension. But those are normally done same time the one that is going apply for the extension applies for their non-o visa.

I suggest your spouse contact the embassy or consulate where they would be applying to find out if they would do it with you on a non-o visa.

They would need your marriage certificate and copies of your passport photo page, visa and entry stamp.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I wrote it the way I did since the OP is already on an extensions.

It is possible to get a single entry non-o visa without the spouse already being on the extension. But those are normally done same time the one that is going apply for the extension applies for their non-o visa.

I suggest your spouse contact the embassy or consulate where they would be applying to find out if they would do it with you on a non-o visa.

They would need your marriage certificate and copies of your passport photo page, visa and entry stamp.

Ok, thank you