Australian counter-terrorism police arrest four in Sydney

rooster59

Australian counter-terrorism police arrest four in Sydney

sydney.PNG

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian counter-terrorism police arrested four people in raids late on Saturday across several Sydney suburbs aimed at disrupting plans for "terrorist attacks".

"These operations are designed to disrupt and prevent plans to undertake terrorist attacks in Australia," Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said in an emailed statement.

Australian Federal Police said the raids by the Joint Counter Terrorism Team in four suburbs in different parts of the city "relate to an ongoing investigation."

"Four men have been taken into custody and are assisting police with their enquiries," the AFP said in a statement.

The police declined to provide more detail, saying "further information will be made available at the appropriate time."

"The public should be reassured that our security and intelligence agencies are working tirelessly to keep us safe," Turnbull said.

Australia, a close ally of the United States, has been on heightened alert for attacks by home-grown militants returning from fighting in the Middle East, or their supporters, since 2014.

Authorities say they have thwarted a number of potential attacks since then, but there have been several "lone wolf" assaults, including a cafe siege in Sydney that left two hostages and the gunman dead.

About 100 people have left Australia for Syria to fight alongside organizations such as Islamic State, Australia's immigration minister said last month.

Australian newspaper publisher News Ltd reported up to 40 riot squad officers were seen swooping on a house in the inner city suburb of Surry Hills.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-30

Well we have the progressive press screaming everyday about increasing Muslim immigration, although they don't mention the word Muslim of course. Then we are out helping invade Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria, but no one imagines there would possibly be any blow back from what are essentially illegal invasions of other countries.

Surprised there actually aren't more problems in Oz, full marks to the police though on getting on top of things before they happen, perhaps the Europeans should take note?

1 minute ago, Rancid said:

Well we have the progressive press screaming everyday about increasing Muslim immigration, although they don't mention the word Muslim of course. Then we are out helping invade Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria, but no one imagines there would possibly be any blow back from what are essentially illegal invasions of other countries.

Surprised there actually aren't more problems in Oz, full marks to the police though on getting on top of things before they happen, perhaps the Europeans should take note?

Illegal invasions as opposed to legal invasions? If we had refused to let muslims into our country in the first place would we have these problems now.

2 hours ago, halloween said:

Illegal invasions as opposed to legal invasions? If we had refused to let muslims into our country in the first place would we have these problems now.

+1 Never a truer word written. 

More mohammeds!!!   We are learning nothing.

I note that not the Prime Minister, nor the head of the Australian Federal Police, nor Attorney General could utter the words 'islamic extremism/terrorism' (that was left to the press, but not the left wing press like the ABC!) and while that continues, the soft cock politicians and their underlings will only contribute to the problem.

The Labor Party hierarchy is so stupid that they rely on the muslim vote in western Sydney, seemingly not able to understand that when muslims are in the majority in any seat, they will nominate as independents and oust the idiots of the left.   Then the dominoes will start to fall.

The rot has started in Australia.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

+1 Never a truer word written. 

Blame Fraser, back in the early 80's, who against the wishes of cabinet, and advice of the Foreign Affairs Dept, allowed the first Lebanese muslims into the country.   They were peasant stock, uneducated and unsophisticated, and now they and their descendants, have now been responsible for a huge volume of crime.

We are governed by idiots.

Edited by F4UCorsair

33 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I note that not the Prime Minister, nor the head of the Australian Federal Police, nor Attorney General could utter the words 'islamic extremism/terrorism' (that was left to the press, but not the left wing press like the ABC!) and while that continues, the soft cock politicians and their underlings will only contribute to the problem.<snip>

Nonsense, as reported by the ABC...

"We do believe it is Islamic-inspired terrorism. Exactly what is behind this is something that we will need to investigate fully," AFP commissioner Andrew Colvin said.

During the same televised report... 

Mr Turnbull said the "major counter-terrorism operation" was ongoing.

Another example, there are more...

Malcolm Turnbull has used his first visit to Singapore as Prime Minister, to call for a decisive regional response to Islamic terrorism.

Edited by simple1

14 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Complete ban on muslims entering Australia and deport those committing an offence even a parking ticket.  Had enough of these people causing mayhem every day right across the planet.

Yeah good idea. Then Muslim majority countries can retaliate and Oz will lose thousands of jobs, major damage to the economy, generate more internal security risks as clearly explained by Oz security chiefs etc etc.

There seems to be a cone of silence imposed on this event. No details except for the alleged target being a flight to the  "middle east". Before jumping on the  point a finger at the muslim, I offer that had the attack succeeded, a great many of the victims would have been muslims or  those with positive feelings towards the arab world.  Think about that for a minute.

4 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

There seems to be a cone of silence imposed on this event. No details except for the alleged target being a flight to the  "middle east". Before jumping on the  point a finger at the muslim, I offer that had the attack succeeded, a great many of the victims would have been muslims or  those with positive feelings towards the arab world.  Think about that for a minute.

Depends on Sunni or Shiite bomber and airline. That took less than a minute!

19 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The flight was from Jakarta to Sydney

47 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The four arrested on Saturday are Lebanese Australian Muslim citizens (two fathers and their sons) who it is claimed were identified by an overseas intelligence agency who informed Australia security last Wednesday. There are conflicting reports at this early stage, but it is claimed materials for a home made explosive device was found in one of their homes which was alleged to be used to attack an aircraft travelling to M.E. Media claim police have informed they were in contact with ISIS operative/s in Syria. The men are currently being held without charge as police complete preliminary investigations.

Two men from same family now charged with attempted acts of terrorism. Claimed one tried to board an Etihad flight in Sydney on July 15th with an explosive device in hand luggage (alleged to be modified meat grinder), but refused check-in with the item as too heavy. Alleged they then liaised with ISIS member in Syria on how to build another device to pass security checks. Sentencing can be up to life in prison.

Edited by simple1

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Should be a damn sight longer!

But don't start blaming all Muslims. Some of them are good people ?

How do I tell which are the good people? Then how do I tell when a "good person" is going to decide to blow up my plane, run me down with his car or stick a knife in my ribs because some obscure event (like a cartoon in a Danish magazine) has rung his bell?

If you read the reports on terrorism, most of the perpetrators are regarded by their neighbours as "good people" - polite, friendly, baby-sat my kids, etc.

8 minutes ago, halloween said:

How do I tell which are the good people? Then how do I tell when a "good person" is going to decide to blow up my plane, run me down with his car or stick a knife in my ribs because some obscure event (like a cartoon in a Danish magazine) has rung his bell?

If you read the reports on terrorism, most of the perpetrators are regarded by their neighbours as "good people" - polite, friendly, baby-sat my kids, etc.

Exactly; I was being ironic.